ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
May 7, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #2,881 of 3,201
Since my headphones are still fresh, I don't know the ins and outs yet. When I went to put them on today, my finger got caught on something that felt weird.

On the left cup, there's something pointy protruding up, pushing on the fabric. When you press with your finger on it, it feels slightly bendable, like an electrical component on a PCB. On the right cup, there's nothing that close to the fabric.

Is this normal? Does anyone else have this? Feels as if this can wear a hole in the fabric with time if you brush with your finger against it enough... I hope I'm not "holding it wrong". :)

Attachments

• IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #2,882 of 3,201
Since my headphones are still fresh, I don't know the ins and outs yet. When I went to put them on today, my finger got caught on something that felt weird.

On the left cup, there's something pointy protruding up, pushing on the fabric. When you press with your finger on it, it feels slightly bendable, like an electrical component on a PCB. On the right cup, there's nothing that close to the fabric.

Is this normal? Does anyone else have this? Feels as if this can wear a hole in the fabric with time if you brush with your finger against it enough... I hope I'm not "holding it wrong". :)
On my pair, it seems like the internal wiring is just under the fabric above the connector. If you push gently, will the part move? I agree it should not be pushing up the fabric.

May 8, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,883 of 3,201
On my pair, it seems like the internal wiring is just under the fabric above the connector. If you push gently, will the part move? I agree it should not be pushing up the fabric.
Thank you for checking. Yes, it could be a wire as well. It does move, but I don't know how much force I dare to apply to it, or if I can even bend it enough for it to stop pushing on the fabric. I take it yours does the same, though perhaps not as extreme as mine?

PS. Making my first 24bit, 96khz purchases now... some Pink Floyd of course, and found an amazing sounding Bach album! :)

EDIT: Damnit... got a "Remix 2019" of the later Pink Floyd stuff, and of course they messed with it. :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #2,884 of 3,201
Thank you for checking. Yes, it could be a wire as well. It does move, but I don't know how much force I dare to apply to it, or if I can even bend it enough for it to stop pushing on the fabric. I take it yours does the same, though perhaps not as extreme as mine?

PS. Making my first 24bit, 96khz purchases now... some Pink Floyd of course, and found an amazing sounding Bach album! :)

EDIT: Damnit... got a "Remix 2019" of the later Pink Floyd stuff, and of course they messed with it. :frowning2:
Yes, it seems like a stiff wire. On my pair it doesn’t seems to be pushing against the fabric, but just below. @mrspeakers can probably advise you.
Which pads do you prefer?

May 9, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #2,886 of 3,201
From what I read in this thread before purchase, the perforated would suit me the best and since it came with that, I'll probably never change it until it wears out.
Cool. That was what I thought, and also based on my experience with the Aeon and the swap to perforated. If the sound is good for you, not need to change, but if you are curious…:beerchug:

May 10, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #2,887 of 3,201

I've found that a LOT of these "new and 'improved'" remasters really aren't. They mostly just repackage it and compress the hell out of it to make it sound like all of the other crap being produced these days.

May 11, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #2,888 of 3,201
/disengage lurk mode

I keep meaning to post, but always get busy. I got a pair of these last summer, during DCA's summer sale. Having used HD650's for years, the Ether 2's were impressive. Really loved the comfort of them, and improved detail I heard. I've been using them with the RME ADI-2 DAC fs (but still really haven't used it to it's full potential with all of it's settings)

I'm definitely keeping my Ethers, but have two questions:

1. Never having used a tube amp, would that be noticeable improvement with the E2's? I know that an OTL wouldn't be a good choice, so was thinking of more like a Lyr 3, Vali 2, or Liquid Platinum. Is it worth it try a hybrid tube amp?

2. What would be a good 2nd pair of headphones that would be complimentary to the E2? Many options, but thought maybe the Focal Clears or Utopia (yeah, expensive!) to give me something a bit brighter and punchier and it would also be a dynamic driver vs the E2's planar. Any thoughts?

Thanks

May 16, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #2,890 of 3,201
Here’s an update. After writing this, I decided to swap the perforated for the “stock” (original) pads, which are the “leather” non-perforated (seems they shop with the perforated pads now). The effect is to slightly, tastefully reduce the bass, reduce some some upper treble “zing” (can be a good or bad thing, depending on your material and tastes), and - most importantly for me - increase the upper midrange a bit, which adds to the presence. More listening to do for sure, but I am really liking this and thinking the stock pads are the keepers.
Thanks again for such details. I now own Aeon 2 Closed stock and Hugo2 Mscaler, coming TT2 and 2go2yu.
I really cant decided wheter to go for AEther2 or not. I sometime want Aeon be more warm and bodied than it is even with black felt pads. it is so tough decision...
Or just to order new perforated pads and vivo cable to current closed 2

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #2,891 of 3,201
Thanks again for such details. I now own Aeon 2 Closed stock and Hugo2 Mscaler, coming TT2 and 2go2yu.
I really cant decided wheter to go for AEther2 or not. I sometime want Aeon be more warm and bodied than it is even with black felt pads. it is so tough decision...
Or just to order new perforated pads and vivo cable to current closed 2
I prefer the perforated pads with the A2C/Noire, but they will move you a bit away from warmth. I use both stock and perforated pads without any tuning pads.

May 19, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #2,892 of 3,201

It's a wire. Just gently push straight down.

/disengage lurk mode

I keep meaning to post, but always get busy. I got a pair of these last summer, during DCA's summer sale. Having used HD650's for years, the Ether 2's were impressive. Really loved the comfort of them, and improved detail I heard. I've been using them with the RME ADI-2 DAC fs (but still really haven't used it to it's full potential with all of it's settings)

I'm definitely keeping my Ethers, but have two questions:

1. Never having used a tube amp, would that be noticeable improvement with the E2's? I know that an OTL wouldn't be a good choice, so was thinking of more like a Lyr 3, Vali 2, or Liquid Platinum. Is it worth it try a hybrid tube amp?

2. What would be a good 2nd pair of headphones that would be complimentary to the E2? Many options, but thought maybe the Focal Clears or Utopia (yeah, expensive!) to give me something a bit brighter and punchier and it would also be a dynamic driver vs the E2's planar. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Hybrid tube amps often offer more power, conventional transformer based tube amps need a 16 or 32 ohm tap for max power transfer. Yes avoid OTL, microzotl being an exception that has enough power.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 21, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #2,895 of 3,201
In addition anyone uses Chord TT2+Mscaler with Ether 2 ?
I use mTT2 with both the Ether 2 (non-perforated pads) and the HEDDphone, as well as with Omega SAM speakers. The HEDD and E2 aren’t night and day, more like dawn and dusk. Both are slightly warm to my ears, with the HEDD emphasizing more the detail and transient and the E2 more the body of the instruments, so the HEDD presents as more detailed and the Ether as more full, but for the tier of headphones they are in, I think they are equally as detailed. In weight/comfort, they are night and day. Ether is likely the most comfortable headphone you can get, along with the Aeon 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back