ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 17, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #2,866 of 3,207
I haven't. :)

Well, I think there is differences between planar and dynamic bass, both the TH900 and TH-X00 have bigger impact and will give a bit more texture. The ETHER 2 has much cleaner bass, but not as impactful in comparison. It's definitely not shy of bass though, especially on the default and suede pads.

Personally, I found the Fostex bass to be more fun. It works really well for EDM. That said, ETHER 2 works great as all rounder, with excellent timbre, I found everything just sound pleasant and accurate.
Thank you for the information! So it will be more of a sideways move, rather than an upgrade (these days I mostly listen to deep house and ambient). That makes me think twice, mostly because of the smaller openings in the pads compared to the TH900. I'd hopefully still be gaining a comfort upgrade due to the reduced weight, and the other important thing is the ability to hear what my wife is saying when I'm listening to something (Ether 2 would be my first open headphones). :)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #2,867 of 3,207
Thank you for the information! So it will be more of a sideways move, rather than an upgrade (these days I mostly listen to deep house and ambient). That makes me think twice, mostly because of the smaller openings in the pads compared to the TH900. I'd hopefully still be gaining a comfort upgrade due to the reduced weight, and the other important thing is the ability to hear what my wife is saying when I'm listening to something (Ether 2 would be my first open headphones). :)
You can definitely hear the wife with ether 2.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #2,868 of 3,207
I've begun reading this thread back to 2018... several people talk about poor mid-bass (not fixed by sending them in) and also poor bass performance while wearing glasses (which also some reviews have mentioned)... continuing reading the thread, but now doubts are creeping in... I want the fun sound of the TH909 (and I need open + wearing glasses), but I'm really, really, really tired of Fostex's frankly awful headbands. On to comments from 2019. :)

Also, although I've only briefly searched for this, why can't I find anyone making earpads with larger holes for the ear? Is it due to the weird adhesive fastening solution? (EDIT: Ah, found an unfortunate reply after a few more pages of reading.)

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #2,869 of 3,207
I had a similar mindset when I got my Ether 2s. I wanted a set that allowed me to hear others clearly while wearing them and comfort is a high priority for me. These definitely deliver.

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #2,870 of 3,207

The suede and perforated pads have bigger opening compared to the default pads. It still not as big as TH900 pads, but it's comparable to third party TH900 pads like Yaxi pads.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #2,872 of 3,207
Any SIngxer SA 1 users, i fancy giving it a try with my chord Dac from My head Gilmore AMP with my E2s
I use my QP1R and Hugo 2 to drive my Ether. I am very happy with the results

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #2,873 of 3,207
Its a standard itch verse hype. I could afford the Singxer ... Next would be the HeadAmp mini to Sparkos labs HA.
But i cant justify in these times...
Chord especially..nice though..

I have the Qutest ATM..but thats the route i wanted at the time. .. TTs was out off my league and my wifes approval range. ☹

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #2,874 of 3,207
Ok, got the thing. Paired with with JDS Labs Element II.

First impressions: Build quality is amazing. The cost absolutely seems justified just by holding them, which was a pleasant surprise. The engineering and simple design is just so clean and clever. Sound quality is definitely a step up from Fostex TH-X00 Ebony that I previously used, right out of the box. Bass is fine although they don't massage your soul like the Fostex do (we'll see after 100 hours), but everything else is clearly(!) better. However, interestingly to me the sound quality is still not better than my first love, the good old Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro (but those are in-ear and isolating, something I wanted to move away from). I also totally get the people complaining about clamping force. So light in the hand, yet when you put them on your jaw is in a vice. I really, really hope that goes away over time. Also, zero planar crinkle so far which made me very happy! Oh, and at least with my glasses, sound quality isn't affected.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #2,875 of 3,207
Hi all, i wonder is Ether 2 still relavant upgrade after Aeon 2 Closed?
What improvements should i hear or will i loose something im some aspects.
Thanks!!!

May 5, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #2,876 of 3,207
Hi all, i wonder is Ether 2 still relavant upgrade after Aeon 2 Closed?
What improvements should i hear or will i loose something im some aspects.
Thanks!!!
That’s a tough question, because even though both DCA, they are different headphones with multiple pad choices, not to mention open/closed and personal preference. But here is what I hear:

Aeon 2 Closed with perforated pads (same as Aeon Noire) are fantastic. I listen daily for portable use and the tuning is very engaging, detailed, and extended. I prefer a slightly dark presentation and I find the A2C overall balanced, with ever so slightly emphasized treble detail. They are a great pairing with Chord Mojo for portable use.

I find the Ether 2 to have more detail all around, as a faster headphone. It presents darker than the A2C but nothing like the AQ Nighthawk or rolled off like the HD650. The bass is extended, detailed, and not bloomy as the A2C can sometimes be. Treble detail is there, but it’s not a close mic effect like some detail monsters or even the A2C. But it is a smoother treble, as the A2C can sound slightly rough in comparison at times. The midrange of the Ether presents with a richer timbre to me…not slow or gooey at all, but just more presence of instrument body. Soundstage on the A2C is usually intimate to pretty good, but the E2 is wider and deeper and more focused.

Both headphones are very comfortable, with A2C a bit more comfortable due to the thicker pads (very slightly so). While the A2C are a bit more in your face while listening, the E2 is something you can listen to all day without fatigue. I compared these using the Chord TT2 with mScaler, but Mojo can drive hem fine. It seems like E2 is 2-3 dB less efficient than A2C, but I haven’t measured it.

Overall I could live with A2C as my primary headphone, and it wins as the “you can only take one to a desert island” because it’s closed and more portable. The competition is much stiffer at over 2x the price. I would audition a burned-in pair of each for a good week or so and see if you think an upgrade is worth it. Hope that helps! :beerchug:

May 6, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #2,879 of 3,207
That’s a tough question, because even though both DCA, they are different headphones with multiple pad choices, not to mention open/closed and personal preference. But here is what I hear:

Aeon 2 Closed with perforated pads (same as Aeon Noire) are fantastic. I listen daily for portable use and the tuning is very engaging, detailed, and extended. I prefer a slightly dark presentation and I find the A2C overall balanced, with ever so slightly emphasized treble detail. They are a great pairing with Chord Mojo for portable use.

I find the Ether 2 to have more detail all around, as a faster headphone. It presents darker than the A2C but nothing like the AQ Nighthawk or rolled off like the HD650. The bass is extended, detailed, and not bloomy as the A2C can sometimes be. Treble detail is there, but it’s not a close mic effect like some detail monsters or even the A2C. But it is a smoother treble, as the A2C can sound slightly rough in comparison at times. The midrange of the Ether presents with a richer timbre to me…not slow or gooey at all, but just more presence of instrument body. Soundstage on the A2C is usually intimate to pretty good, but the E2 is wider and deeper and more focused.

Both headphones are very comfortable, with A2C a bit more comfortable due to the thicker pads (very slightly so). While the A2C are a bit more in your face while listening, the E2 is something you can listen to all day without fatigue. I compared these using the Chord TT2 with mScaler, but Mojo can drive hem fine. It seems like E2 is 2-3 dB less efficient than A2C, but I haven’t measured it.

Overall I could live with A2C as my primary headphone, and it wins as the “you can only take one to a desert island” because it’s closed and more portable. The competition is much stiffer at over 2x the price. I would audition a burned-in pair of each for a good week or so and see if you think an upgrade is worth it. Hope that helps! :beerchug:
Here’s an update. After writing this, I decided to swap the perforated for the “stock” (original) pads, which are the “leather” non-perforated (seems they shop with the perforated pads now). The effect is to slightly, tastefully reduce the bass, reduce some some upper treble “zing” (can be a good or bad thing, depending on your material and tastes), and - most importantly for me - increase the upper midrange a bit, which adds to the presence. More listening to do for sure, but I am really liking this and thinking the stock pads are the keepers.

May 6, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #2,880 of 3,207
Here’s an update. After writing this, I decided to swap the perforated for the “stock” (original) pads, which are the “leather” non-perforated (seems they shop with the perforated pads now). The effect is to slightly, tastefully reduce the bass, reduce some some upper treble “zing” (can be a good or bad thing, depending on your material and tastes), and - most importantly for me - increase the upper midrange a bit, which adds to the presence. More listening to do for sure, but I am really liking this and thinking the stock pads are the keepers. Think all the goodness from guitar distortion - Neil Young would be smiling!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back