ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Jul 3, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #2,671 of 3,202
Yes, Indeed. I'm using the LP with both the Aeon2 and Arya and it's slightly more spacious than the SP200 I also have for comparison. No complaints about the LP's power with both these low impedance cans, it drives them both with authority.
I wish I had the same experience. Maybe after the caps and driver replacement I will find it wasn’t the LP at all.

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #2,672 of 3,202
Have any of you Ether 2 owners compared Ether 2 with Ether Flow 1.1?

What are the differences or are they very similar?

Or is the new Aeon 2 Open/ Close now on the same level as the Ether 2 or Ether Flow 1.1 and anyone can confidently go for the Aeon 2?
I owned EFO 1.0 and upgraded to 1.1 just after acquiring Ether 2. I find E2 more extended & more neutral except a bit recessed in the treble region. I primarily used the e-stat pads with the 1.0 version as I liked the bit of additional brightness they provided. With the 1.1 upgrade I used the flow pads more. And I used one white & one black damping insert.

Ether 2 has a deeper headstage than 1.0 or 1.1 w/ any pads.

I haven’t heard either Aeon version, so can’t help there.

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #2,673 of 3,202
Have any of you Ether 2 owners compared Ether 2 with Ether Flow 1.1?

What are the differences or are they very similar?

Or is the new Aeon 2 Open/ Close now on the same level as the Ether 2 or Ether Flow 1.1 and anyone can confidently go for the Aeon 2?

I have both.
I settled Ether Flow 1.1 with white felt and black foam (both stacked).

To me, different animal from Ether Flow open 1.1 to Ether2.
Ether2 is class above Ether Flow 1.1, but I understand some people prefer Ether Flow 1.1 over Ether2 due to its sound signature.
*My Ether Flow 1.1 has older softer pads, and current harder/stiffer pads is said to have more bass, so the sound should be bit different from mine.

Compared to Ether2,
Ether Flow Open 1.1 (with older softer pads) is:
Brighter than E2 even using white felt and black foam filters.​
Has elevated upper bass (to my feeling. I don't know about the actual measurement.) and kind of bouncy bass.​
Much "fun" type of sounding.​
My older version softer pads are really comfy on my head and I love the feeling. (Latest version has stiffer pads, which were running changed, and I don't know how they feel on your head.)​

Compared to Ether Flow 1.1 (with old softer angled pads in same shape as current models),
Ether2 is:
Way faster sounding than EFO1.1. Extremely fast in all frequency range (not electrostatic level though)​
No mid-bass hump. Just flat and fast and accurate to sub-bass range. No bouncy bass.​
More body to sound.​
Darker sound. (I wish tad more treble. But said to be it could be adjusted by perforated pads, which I don't own yet.)​
Stronger clamp. (I liked the Ether Flow1.1 on my head way better at first, but I am getting used to Ether 2 a little)​
Very light and stable on your head. (but clamps hard though)​
Even harder to drive than Ether Flow​
Synthetic leather pads instead of real leather on Ether Flow. And it is much harder/stiffer than my older type Ether Flow pads (exactly the same shape but softer than latest one).​
Thicker but softer and easy to use Vivo cable. It doesn't memory coil shape so it gets straight when you uncoil them to use. (Older DUM cable remember the coil shape and doesn't get straight.)​

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #2,674 of 3,202
Thank you for your personal subjective comparison of the two headphones.

That means rather for me, I stick to my beautiful Ether Flow 1.1 and put the purchase of the Ether 2 aside.
However, it would still be very interesting to listen to the Ether 2.

But because of your feeling, the EFO 1.1 is more appealing to me.

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #2,675 of 3,202
@mrspeakers, you were right about the perfs. I don't know why, seems like shamanism, but it certainly kicks up imaging and stage a rung. Or two. I have not had better cans on my head. As for the rest of my criteria; for me, the E2 is now much more engaging across the range.

With the perfs are what I was looking for.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #2,676 of 3,202
I wish I had the same experience. Maybe after the caps and driver replacement I will find it wasn’t the LP at all.

Im a little late but i wanted to chime in after 6 months with this combo.

Currently im running Liquid Platinum(Telefunken E88CC Cyro treated Gold pins) + ADI-2 FS V2 + Ether 2

I'm not sure this combo pairs that great with the Ether 2. This setup is great with my ZMF Atticus because it brings out the details but it is a bit too bright/shouty with my Ether 2. I guess at this point, i'm considering on getting another amp or use the ADI-2 to fix it.

The amp is amazing though, especially for it's price so i'm going to keep it but yeah i just can't get it to work with the Ether 2s lol.

Anyone got any recommendations for a used amp for under $1500 to upgrade from the LP? I'm thinking of moving away from tube amps to use my ADI-2 more instead.

Aug 10, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #2,678 of 3,202
Can anybody recommend more lightweight & flexible cables for the Ether 2? I have no clue who sells third party cables with that particular connector, so even a list of the "usual" suspects would be most welcome. Thanks!

Aug 10, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #2,679 of 3,202
Can anybody recommend more lightweight & flexible cables for the Ether 2? I have no clue who sells third party cables with that particular connector, so even a list of the "usual" suspects would be most welcome. Thanks!
I recommend T2 silver litz cable from Ted. Fantastic build quality, great price and service. Easiest way is to shoot him an email.
https://headphonelounge.com/silver-headphone-cables/

Aug 10, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #2,680 of 3,202
Aug 10, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #2,681 of 3,202
I'd PM @Paladin79. He's in the business and I've gotten a couple cables from him for other headphones that look and work great.

Aug 11, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #2,682 of 3,202
Thanks for the recommendations. The T2 braided design I don't like, and sleeved is adding bulk and weight. Not cheap either! Sent a PM to Paladin79 whether that is something they can make. Also found CorpseCable with the Gravedigger that seems more of what I am looking for. Sent an inquiry to MoonAudio, but most likely will be ridiculously expensive. I am more in the cable-sceptic camp; I tried and never heard a difference, but my system is certainly not superlative.

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #2,683 of 3,202
Thanks for the recommendations. The T2 braided design I don't like, and sleeved is adding bulk and weight. Not cheap either! Sent a PM to Paladin79 whether that is something they can make. Also found CorpseCable with the Gravedigger that seems more of what I am looking for. Sent an inquiry to MoonAudio, but most likely will be ridiculously expensive. I am more in the cable-sceptic camp; I tried and never heard a difference, but my system is certainly not superlative.
I wouldn’t add sleeve to the T2 litz. Price wise it’s actually cheap for what you are getting. It’s silver cable, not silver plated copper. Anyways, here is a photo on my Arya
D377FECD-A501-4450-B335-4054561AB271.jpeg

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #2,684 of 3,202
Interesting! Hadn't heard of Corpse Cable before now and lo and behold!! They're in the same town as me!! Wonder if it's anybody I know...

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #2,685 of 3,202
Re T2, braided is not going to happen. Will most likely go with the Cablesforless; seems they can make it and at the price, nothing to loose. I can actually compare the stock premium VIVO cable to the "rock bottom" Cablesforless and see whether I can hear any difference. If cables make a difference, then the "downgrade" should be noticeable, but I very much doubt so. If I against my H0 there is a difference, then I paid a bit for education and *might* consider something more esoteric.

Got a PM from someone who was not impressed with the Gravedigger. Can't say much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back