ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
May 23, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #2,611 of 3,206
Hi,
anyone know ether 2 cable configuration.
I torn my cable need to reterminate, and I find 6 cable inside , anyone know the configuration ?

Hmmm. the joined pair suggests a common ground on one end, and L & R ground on the other.

green is often ground, if that is so the right and left is white and red or visa versa. I wouldn't do anything unless you get a multi-tester with probes so yo can verify what is what.

If you are trying to reuse an old cable on E2, I'd be very careful. It's possible to do catastrophic damage to a driver(s) if you have the wrong wire combo. If I had an E2 (oh please) I wouldn't mess around, I'd order up a new cable. But I believe Dan sells a killer cable with the E2.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #2,613 of 3,206
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 24, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #2,615 of 3,206
Thanks Dan,
So i just using the 4 wire ?

Yes. Red = Right Positive White = Left positive. Gray and black are ground. If you're doing a balanced cable I'd have to look it up to be sure, but I think gray is Left - and black is Right -. Ohm it out to the headphone plug to be sure.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 29, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #2,617 of 3,206
Hi, i’m a new member here on Head-Fi, even though I've been following the forums here for a long time before registering.

I bought an E2 open box which I received last monday.

This after being already happy owner of an EFO purchased in 2017, then updated to 1.1 + VIVO cable and having convinced my son to buy an AFO with which he is really satisfied. So I can say to really be a loyal buyer of Dan Clark’s headphones I've always found playing in exciting ways.

Just out of the box I immediately compared the E2 with EFO, that after updating to 1.1 I always left without dampers, impressed by the first listening and preferring the larger opening on the mid-treble that this configuration offers, although at the expense of a slight less impact on the bass, but transparency and detail was truly extraordinary… I’ve tried from time to time any combination of dampers but I always took them off after a while.

EFO is a headset that has given me really great satisfactions, sufficiently adaptable to any musical genre and also capable of pleasantly playing some not exactly perfect recordings.

So I was really curious to hear its natural evolution, the E2, but the comparison just removed from the box, however, has been somewhat disappointing. The first thing I noticed is an impactful, precise and deep bass but at the same time a muffled mid-treble with really important loss of details.

So hoping that the headset was really an open box that had not yet many hours of use I started a heavy four-day burn-in, checking the evolution every day but without great results until this morning, when wearing it I finally felt that magically the muffled veil had dissolved. I can't say it's as bright as my “naked” EFOs, but now FR and tonal balance of the E2s seems really nice, i love it.

They are different headphones, the EFOs forgive a lot and perform well even with mediocre recordings while the E2 seem to be merciless, very precise and balanced. I thought they were much more similar, however in my opinion one does not necessarily exclude the other, they can live together without being a duplicate. So now I'm not even sure I really want to sell the EFO, and this can be a trouble for my wallet…

However, I have a big disappointment from the build quality of the E2. In fact, the E2s just purchased have an evident and damaging manufacturing defect that I find it incredible might have passed quality tests which definitely a serious company like Dan Clark Audio subjects its products.

The support that, similar to that of the Aeon, connects the right earcup to the bow is too close and rubs metal against metal every time you wear or remove the headset, certainly ruining it over time… So I would ask Dan if there was a way to adjust the distance in order to solve this problem. I’m a new member here so can’t attach the pics i have to better explain what I have described.

I hope for a solution because I really love these headphones...

I also apologize for my bad english

May 29, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #2,618 of 3,206
Hi, i’m a new member here on Head-Fi, even though I've been following the forums here for a long time before registering.

This after being already happy owner of an EFO purchased in 2017, then updated to 1.1 + VIVO cable and having convinced my son to buy an AFO with which he is really satisfied. So I can say to really be a loyal buyer of Dan Clark’s headphones I've always found playing in exciting ways.

Just out of the box I immediately compared the E2 with EFO, that after updating to 1.1 I always left without dampers, impressed by the first listening and preferring the larger opening on the mid-treble that this configuration offers, although at the expense of a slight less impact on the bass, but transparency and detail was truly extraordinary… I’ve tried from time to time any combination of dampers but I always took them off after a while.

EFO is a headset that has given me really great satisfactions, sufficiently adaptable to any musical genre and also capable of pleasantly playing some not exactly perfect recordings.

So I was really curious to hear its natural evolution, the E2, but the comparison just removed from the box, however, has been somewhat disappointing. The first thing I noticed is an impactful, precise and deep bass but at the same time a muffled mid-treble with really important loss of details.

So hoping that the headset was really an open box that had not yet many hours of use I started a heavy four-day burn-in, checking the evolution every day but without great results until this morning, when wearing it I finally felt that magically the muffled veil had dissolved. I can't say it's as bright as my “naked” EFOs, but now FR and tonal balance of the E2s seems really nice, i love it.

They are different headphones, the EFOs forgive a lot and perform well even with mediocre recordings while the E2 seem to be merciless, very precise and balanced. I thought they were much more similar, however in my opinion one does not necessarily exclude the other, they can live together without being a duplicate. So now I'm not even sure I really want to sell the EFO, and this can be a trouble for my wallet…

However, I have a big disappointment from the build quality of the E2. In fact, the E2s just purchased have an evident and damaging manufacturing defect that I find it incredible might have passed quality tests which definitely a serious company like Dan Clark Audio subjects its products.

The support that, similar to that of the Aeon, connects the right earcup to the bow is too close and rubs metal against metal every time you wear or remove the headset, certainly ruining it over time… So I would ask Dan if there was a way to adjust the distance in order to solve this problem. I’m a new member here so can’t attach the pics i have to better explain what I have described.

Interesting story, thanks. However, your complaint should be addressed to Dan Clark Audio:

info@mrspeakers.com

This isn’t their support site, although Dan posts here frequently. Not saying you can’t or shouldn’t post that there was a problem. Just that you’re more likely to get a quick response to an email directly to them than to a post here.

May 29, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #2,619 of 3,206

EFO is a headset that has given me really great satisfactions, sufficiently adaptable to any musical genre and also capable of pleasantly playing not exactly perfect recordings.

I really wonder about my experience w/ Ether 2 after reading your story. I also had EFO 1.1 when I got E2. And I wasn’t wowed by E2 at first. I let them burn in quite a while and then got my Liquid Platinum. With the LP it was suddenly Wow! Now I wonder if I just ran into the ‘magic’ burn-in moment right after I got the ‘right’ tubes for the LP. I’m not sure I would have called the sound ‘veiled’, but that’s certainly close. I probably would have talked about lack of energy in the mids. I think of ‘veiled’ as a lack of detail and think of it more in the highs, but I guess it still fits,

I would certainly call the EFO 1.1 with no inserts a lot brighter than E2. I mostly listened to EFO 1.1 with one white & one black insert. If you like them that way, you should try a set of the e-stat pads:

https://danclarkaudio.com/shop/ether-electrostat-ear-pads.html

They take that sound to eleven :ksc75smile:

May 29, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #2,620 of 3,206

Seriously sorry about that, the prior owner must have damaged this and we missed it on inspection, I'll alert the team that this may have been missed and we'll add it to the check list.

Of course we'll take care of that for you, contact info@danclarkaudio.com and we'll make sure you're taken care of.

May 30, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #2,621 of 3,206
I really wonder about my experience w/ Ether 2 after reading your story. I also had EFO 1.1 when I got E2. And I wasn’t wowed by E2 at first. I let them burn in quite a while and then got my Liquid Platinum. With the LP it was suddenly Wow! Now I wonder if I just ran into the ‘magic’ burn-in moment right after I got the ‘right’ tubes for the LP. I’m not sure I would have called the sound ‘veiled’, but that’s certainly close. I probably would have talked about lack of energy in the mids. I think of ‘veiled’ as a lack of detail and think of it more in the highs, but I guess it still fits,

Interesting, yes had with my brand new AEON2c exactly the same! So far, I never noticed that with any of my listeners. All without burning in the same on the head.

With the AEON I was upset right out of the box. Brilliant sound, reminiscent of the Nighthawk. Mids and highs rather cloudy, too. I even recommended Dan in the AEON thread to increase the mid and high frequencies by 1-2DB. Was a mistake, sorry Dan!

It's perfect, but definitely this higher one needs a burn-in. Now after several days of use and many hours of operation the veil is completely gone and mid and high frequencies are absolutely perfect! Unbelievable!

I bought a Clear last week. But honestly, find the AEON much better, more comfortable, much more beautiful sound, Dan's masterpiece. If I could keep just one of all my listeners, it would be the AEON without thinking.

What I would like to have is an Ether 2, the open version of the AEON2c. Can someone who has or has heard both describe the differences in sound? Is it even worth to add an Ether 2 to the AEON2c? I would love to buy another one from Dan :relaxed: ... unfortunately he doesn't ship to beautiful Switzerland, there is always no quota, otherwise I might have ordered already, but I'm in contact with Susan to solve the problem.

But a description, what's different in the sound of the Ether 2 and the AEON2c would interest me! Thanks a lot for the effort!

May 30, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #2,622 of 3,206
Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #2,623 of 3,206
Seriously sorry about that, the prior owner must have damaged this and we missed it on inspection, I'll alert the team that this may have been missed and we'll add it to the check list.
I bought my open box E2t from another dealer in the US and not directly from you, so if the defect is due to a previous owner and not to the manufacture, the responsibility is certainly not yours!
The possible DIY repair that you recommended seems to have worked perfectly without further damage to the headphones so I thank you very much again for your kindness and availability!

If you like them that way, you should try a set of the e-stat pads
It could be an excellent suggestion, thank you! Actually I really like listening to the E2 as it is but I'm sure in the future I'll also want to try other pads, including the e-stat.

May 30, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #2,624 of 3,206
I bought my open box E2t from another dealer in the US and not directly from you, so if the defect is due to a previous owner and not to the manufacture, the responsibility is certainly not yours!
The possible DIY repair that you recommended seems to have worked perfectly without further damage to the headphones so I thank you very much again for your kindness and availability!

It could be an excellent suggestion, thank you! Actually I really like listening to the E2 as it is but I'm sure in the future I'll also want to try other pads, including the e-stat.
To be clear, e-stat suggestion is for EFO, not E2 — with which they can’t be used.

May 31, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #2,625 of 3,206
I’ve gone on, here and on other forums under other nicks, about not letting your pocket exceed what you can hear through your chain. I’ve sat on the sidelines appreciating Mr. Speakers but the models I wanted are ”above my paygrade” and I thought beyond my hearing.

Well what’s this? An Ether 2 in the house. :/ (Can I change my nick to “Hypocrite?”)

Nothing much to say so far since they are going through run-in except they present an excellent stage and are very engaging. Best in the stable by a furlong. About clamping force, which was a concern for me before I ordered: I have a 7 5/8-inch head and these fit like a glove. Perhaps those complaining of a tight fit have a more rounded head shape.

I’m running them through a Liquid Platinum with Bel Canto 2.7 DAC. (or Schiit Jotunheim with Multibit)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back