ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 11, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #2,566 of 3,207
If I ever get around to clearing out the clutter from what should be my home "office" area and rebuild my computer/radio station, the WA5 would look stunning on the desk.

Apr 11, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #2,567 of 3,207
The DNA is a lovely sounding amp, super fast and revealing yet tube sweetness.

I have a WA5 with a glorious tube set in it, it sounds totally transformed compared to the original generic Chinese tubes... Still my favorite amp.

I ordered an Eddie Current Studio Junior 300B.
Heard that they are one of the best amps for the Ether 2.
I have never heard a 300B or 2A3 tube before and comparisons or descriptions of the sound are pretty scarse,
would apreciate if you could elaborate how these two tubes sound.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #2,569 of 3,207
Is the rne Adi 2 dac decent for this ether 2?

I would suggest a powerful tube amp or a hybrid like the Lyr 3.
I have read good things here about the pairing with a Monoprice Liquid Platinum too, top that of
with a Bifrost 2 and you got a serious system.

This is a list from well known Forum personality...

"Off the top of my head, recommended gear for Ether. These amps will take the edge off:"

Stellaris
Solaris 2A3 (with latest tweaks)
Studio Jr.
BW (if you can find one)
Lyr 3
Nexus stuff (when it comes out - extrapolating since production versions may be different)
Classic R2R sound DACs
Sony ZX2

Did not like:

Fulla 2
Anything tube OTL
Massdrop THX 789
Aficionado

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #2,571 of 3,207
Does the Ether 2 lack resolution and clarity?...
No. I hear them as very resolving, and I find that the 3-d headstage really helps that. Easier to resolve sounds when they 'appear' to come from different parts of the stage and closer or further away. Also, to me, E2's clarity is first-rate. I have literally never heard it sound muddy or smeared.
...Is it detailed?
Yes, but not as much as say Utopia or HEK. Highs are a bit recessed, so detail is less apparent. It's there, but it doesn't stab you in the ear :)

It's my favorite headphone for bed-time listening. Also for ambient/space music.

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #2,574 of 3,207
Will the ether 2 get upgrade filters one day?

No. The ear pads are the solution for tonality changes. If you're looking for a bit more shimmer at the top and a slightly more "fun" voicing use the perforated pads. If you want a slightly warmer and smoother tone the suede work nicely. They're swappable pads so you can change as desired.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 19, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #2,575 of 3,207
Does the Ether 2 lack resolution and clarity? Is it detailed?

No. I believe people that have lived with electronic reproduction (esp digital) of music - pretty much their entire life might find them lacking in terms of resolution or clarity.

However people who have heard or performed music in acoustic settings would probably not agree.

You are welcome to sit down and listen to the entire LP of "Close to Edge" by Yes, mastered by Steve Wilson on the E2 driven by an amp/dac equal to the E2, followed up by an MQA "Come Away With Me" by Norah Jones, and tell me that the experience was lacking (irrespective of dislike of the music).

They are somewhat like the HFM HEX v2, except the E2 has more impact in the bass, and is more alive in the upper mids/low treble. Putting a parametric EQ on the HEX v2 gets them closer, but the E2 is still better and MrS QA appears to be a good deal better too.

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #2,577 of 3,207
has anyone here had the LCD headphobes? how do they compare to the ETHER 2 as far as signature goes?
Depends on which LCD. I can say that LCD-3 seemed significantly darker to my ears.

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #2,579 of 3,207
Guys, need some help here.
Currently own HD800S and Aeon C Flow. I need a pair of open planar-magnetic HP to complement my HD800S when I need a better bass definition/resolution which ideally stays neutral but has all the beauty of a planar-magnetic quality bass. I like Aeon Closed bass a lot, by the way.
My choice now is between Ether 2 and LCD-X.
Are there any owners of both here in the thread? Which will be the fastest and resolving?
Regarding the bass - I prefer tightness (hard hitting) over the softness. Speed is the must - for crazy double bass technical death metal dissonances)
Which HP has a more neutral response with a good amp? Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #2,580 of 3,207
Guys, need some help here.
Currently own HD800S and Aeon C Flow. I need a pair of open planar-magnetic HP to complement my HD800S when I need a better bass definition/resolution which ideally stays neutral but has all the beauty of a planar-magnetic quality bass. I like Aeon Closed bass a lot, by the way.
My choice now is between Ether 2 and LCD-X.
Are there any owners of both here in the thread? Which will be the fastest and resolving?
Regarding the bass - I prefer tightness (hard hitting) over the softness. Speed is the must - for crazy double bass technical death metal dissonances)
Which HP has a more neutral response with a good amp? Thanks.
If you like the AeonC bass the Ether2 should suit you seeing as there is more of it present on the Ether2 (very short comparison), however, the E2 will come across as warmer than neutral versus the LCD-X coming closer to neutral. I haven't compared the two directly but I would be very surprised if the LCD-X didn't have more bass quantity overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back