ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 3, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #1,786 of 3,207
That is interesting. I came from LCD-3s myself and I thought that the LCD hid and muddied up vocals, where the Ether 2 has amazing balance in letting the vocals shine without being too frontal.
I've had the LCD-3s for so long I probably just got really used to the sound; it became my "normal" reference sound. But I'm definitely warming up to the Ether 2s.

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #1,787 of 3,207
Yeah, they definitely sound more laid back to me. I'll give 'em more time.

exactly how I felt even after a week of burn in (aprox 100+ hours of continue music playing), if you have a Silver Cable it may help a bit, but in general, if you coming from previous Mrspeakers headset (prior to AEON) or Sennheiser, the vocal will be a little shock.

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #1,788 of 3,207
exactly how I felt even after a week of burn in (aprox 100+ hours of continue music playing), if you have a Silver Cable it may help a bit, but in general, if you coming from previous Mrspeakers headset (prior to AEON) or Sennheiser, the vocal will be a little shock.
Shock in which Way?

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,789 of 3,207
Shock in which Way?

vocals are very laid back. Separations isn't as good, to me it seems like sound were in a grand stage and then as it fade, it cram everything in at the end, similar to a 8 way highway lane going down to 2, information is still there but it just try to do everything in a confine space and congest everything.

I like the bass attack speed though, very quick compare to my HD820, however with the same track, my HD820 can make the back of my throat vibrate. Both bass quality and quantity were more than the Ether C, however I'm bass shy, so Ether C bass were "good enough" for me

p.s I never had trouble with treble or highs, there were some track that it crack at the top but I think that was when I listen to youtube poor quality.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #1,790 of 3,207
Apr 3, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #1,791 of 3,207
Sometimes I feel like the Ether 2 is a finely tuned LCD headphone, but lighter and with no annoying peaks, and a more accurate bass. :p

Apr 3, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #1,793 of 3,207
One thing I want to restate is just how low the distortion levels are on the Ether 2s. I've owned the Aeon Flow Open, LCD-2C, HEK V2, HEX V2, and currently own the Ananda and ZMF Verite. Distortion is much lower than the Ananda and everything just sounds so clear because of it. I've heard of a blackground but never really experienced it until the Ether 2 and Verite.

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #1,794 of 3,207
This headphone is surprisingly fast! It's handling some complex music with greater ease than I would think.

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #1,795 of 3,207
The E2 does indeed love the Cavalli Liquid Platinum. Holy smokes the LP is just what I was looking for to take the E2s up a notch.

While the low impedance makes them play with just about everything, it seemed like the E2s will scale with more current. And yes that is correct.

It’s like everything got better. Stage, placement, musicality. Everything.

Thanks for the recs for the LP.

Also running Hugo 2 as DAC and Amperex PQ tubes.

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #1,797 of 3,207
I tried a cable from PlusSound Audio and to me it made everything more congested, bloated the bass and muted the highs. No good in my opinion.

Apr 5, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #1,798 of 3,207
I can't believe that I even THOUGHT about selling these. For anyone who thinks the clamp is too tight.. let the pads break in a bit. They will soften over time. I believe it's some type of memory foam -- reminds me a lot of the LCD-2C pads.

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #1,800 of 3,207
The better the DAC and amp, the better the result.
Wait! What!?! :)

Seriously, I was amazed how my Liquid Platinum with NOS Siemens tubes increased my E2 listening pleasure vs E2/Bryston BHA-1.

I'm sure other ears might prefer a different chain, but to my ears the LP/E2 chain has lovely tonal balance, well-controlled and extended bass, and a really immersive headstage.

Also, there's nothing about the sound to push me away from the Vivo cable.

<edit>
Not suggesting the BHA-1 is a 'worse' amp. As I've said elsewhere, I prefer my Empyrean with the Bryston.

It's just that the E2/LP pairing finds just the right amount of coloration to put me in my 'sweet spot'.
</edit>

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back