ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Apr 2, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #1,771 of 3,202
I have not heard the Ether1 open and closed, but having listened to the Mad Dogs, the Alpha Dogs, both Aeon Closed and Open, I would say the Ether2 slots in with the rest of Dan's lineup, as in there was no concrete tuning shared among all of the products I've listened to. They were all relatively different. Mad Dog was very dark, Alpha Dogs a little bright, Aeon Closed very neutral with slightly bright treble, and Aeon Open with a smile curve.

The treble on the Ether2 is the most balanced out of any planar I've heard. Not too recessed, not spiked. It's just right.

Apr 2, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #1,772 of 3,202
The Ether 2 does sound very balanced, but I think I was spoiled by the HEKv2 soundstage. That height is unmatched, although I still think the Ether 2 has more depth, and possibly similar width.

The Ether 2 makes me want to focus on the music rather than just having it on as background noise.

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #1,774 of 3,202
I thought that the Alpha Prime was a bit too excessive with its treble, although it had great extension. At times I found it to be really sharp. I think closed backs really struggle with treble in general, so that might have been the case. It was my first headphone into high-end audio. <3

I can agreed with this statement, however to reference the Ether 2 and Alpha prime is absolutely mind boggling.

the sound signature on alpha is neutral to slight bright while ether 2 is just plain dark.

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #1,775 of 3,202
I can agreed with this statement, however to reference the Ether 2 and Alpha prime is absolutely mind boggling.

the sound signature on alpha is neutral to slight bright while ether 2 is just plain dark.

It sounds as if you do not like that they have a dark signature. I think that I find it a tad more neutral than you do.

Apr 2, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #1,776 of 3,202
@mrspeakers what do you think about Ether2 drived by burson conductor? thanks in advance

I have a conductor in my tuning stack, it's a nice, mellow amp that doesn't have any solid state hardness but delivers a smooth tone with lots of clean detail. It's a nice pairing, smooth and resolving. Not quite as dynamic as some of my tube amps.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 2, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #1,779 of 3,202
Coming from the LCD-3s, it feels like the vocals are further away, whereas the music is more present. Is that just all in my head (excuse the pun)?

Audeze phones have their signature bump around 1k, so some vocals may be more pronounced. Ether 2 is very flat from bass to 3k ish.

Apr 2, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #1,781 of 3,202
Coming from the LCD-3s, it feels like the vocals are further away, whereas the music is more present. Is that just all in my head (excuse the pun)?

It doesn’t have an up front presentation for sure. The mids are neutral and so is the rest of its presentation. Give it a little more time for it to fully burn in.

Apr 3, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #1,783 of 3,202
Apr 3, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #1,784 of 3,202
Apr 3, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #1,785 of 3,202

That is interesting. I came from LCD-3s myself and I thought that the LCD hid and muddied up vocals, where the Ether 2 has amazing balance in letting the vocals shine without being too frontal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back