ESW9 vs SRH840
Oct 2, 2009 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ra97oR

CanJam London 2016 Karting Champion
I have heard the SRH840 and quite liked it, but how about the ESW9? I heard it got the AT house sound with abit more bass.

Gonna use them as portables but isolation is not a main problem as I got a Super.Fi for that purpose.

I wonder if the ESW9 is better than the SRH840?
It certain look alot better though, a bit important in portables.

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 8
I have heard both and I prefer the sound of the ESW9 over the 840 but I also did not hot hear them in the same sitting so can not say what the exact differences are. The main thing for me was the better sound stage and midrange of the ATH but depending on what you like in an HP that may be a good or bad thing.

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 8
I agree that the ESW9's look FAR better than the SRH840's, but don't they sit on the ear as opposed to around it? I find that if I am going to listen for a long time, I have to have circumaural. I had a pair of HD25-1 II's that were great as a portable set, but in the end, something sitting on my ears just wasn't as comfortable.

And do you want something as beautiful as the ESW9 as your portable? I would be terrified of scratching the cups. No clue on the sound, although they are supposed to be great.

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 8
To me, the Shure sounds like my AD1000PRM but its a downgrade in every single area. I think I want a different sonic flavour.

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Bass on the ESW9s is still a tad weak compared to other cans I own and/or listened to. Not to say they sound bad (quite the opposite, they have great SQ), but are more focused in detail than being fun to listen to, which is what I'm after. After meeting the Ultrasones and, more recently, my DBI cans, my ESW9s are definitely going to collect dust in a drawer.

Maybe I'll try to find a new owner for them in the FS forums, preferably one who enjoys the AT house sound.

Oct 4, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, the Shure sounds like my AD1000PRM but its a downgrade in every single area. I think I want a different sonic flavour.

Interesting, the AD1000 are open backed right? I might have to look at those down the road since I like the Shure signature, but would love to try some open headphones if I can keep a similar sound.

Sorry to off topic.

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, the AD1000 are open backed right? I might have to look at those down the road since I like the Shure signature, but would love to try some open headphones if I can keep a similar sound.

Sorry to off topic.

The PRM is more like AD2000, it have punchy bass and a smaller stage. So it sounds like a uber SRH840. The treble is abit brighter though.

AD1000 sounds totally different to my PRM.

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 8
I'd be really surprised if ESW9 wasn't better than SRH840, but I've not heard the latter. The ESW9s sound great to me; its hard to imagine portable to get much better, really. They're no SR325i (in terms of fun) or K701 (in terms of accuracy), but for the price, gorgeousness, and comfort (after a month or so, when the leather softens), they're hard to beat. Hell, sometimes I reach for my ESW9s when I'm indoors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back