ESRB Recalls GTA:San Andreas!
Jul 21, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 21
I don't know if any of you get Computer Games, but I certainly do. In the August 2005 issue, a reader sent in the best letter of all time:

Quote:

Originally Posted by R. Hunter
What kind of crack is Delia Stone smoking? In June's "Three Finger Salute," she is quoted as saying, "And then the parents come to us and ask why their children are playing games that teach them to beat up hookers, which isn't an apporpriate activity until you're well over 18." Mind-numbing stupidity like this has created this situtation with ratings and warnings. I believe it is against the law to assault any person regardless of job, or age of the assailant.
The problem is that the general public wants to be a flock of sheep -- after all, it's much easier to point the finger at the FGRB than to admit you were stupid for buying something called "Grand Theft Auto Vice City" and being shocked at the content. If a consumer can't make the logical connection between a tactical shooter and violence, that's their problem.
The only reason people like Ms. Stone have a job is because there is a segment of the populace that just can't be responsible, so they need someone to tell them what's right and wrong. By the way, while you're busy protecting my children from the injustices of the videogame industry, maybe you could help me with their college fund? No, I thought not.
Keep your ratings and opinions to yourself. I'll be taking responsibilty for what I buy and what my kids play. If people were more "into" what their kids do, you would be out of a job Ms. Stone.

End game.

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 21
Jul 21, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 21
They bust gta on a mod? Seriously. There's enough explicit stock content to warrant a M/AO rating a long time ago . . .
tongue.gif

You can't really blame rockstar for this, if they didn't intend to have a sex scene in the game. (they didn't, right?) Blame those particular modder(s) and the horny 12-yr-olds whose older brothers won't buy them nudie mags.

EDIT: as for parent's fault for being stupid enough to get thier kids violent games, it's so true. Whenever I go to EB there's always some old folks who try to get a game for their young un without knowing what it is. I.e. "My son told me to get him metal gear solid and resident evil, it's for his eleventh birthday".
tongue.gif
BUt I have seen a few parents know almost exactly what they're getting into. They'll even ask the employee how violent etc and if it's appropiate for a ___ yr old.

But most kids can get pretty much any random adult (brother, sister, relative, stranger) to get them a game. Like buying beer.

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patricia Vance
After a thorough investigation, we have concluded that sexually explicit material exists in a fully rendered, unmodified form on the final discs of all three platform versions of the game (i.e., PC CD-ROM, Xbox and PS2).

However, the material was programmed by Rockstar to be inaccessible to the player and they have stated that it was never intended to be made accessible.

It looks like the ESRB has found that this was always there, but intended to be hidden. Rockstar has apparently denied that assertion. (cf. Kotaku for sources) That programmer sure deserves a raise.

There is fault enough to go around in this situation. Parents should consider living up to their title and parenting their children. Game manufacturers should protect their product better. If this was original code, then game manufacturers shouldn't put material like this out there, where there is even a slight chance of it getting out. If everyone does their part, then there is no real need for oppressive regulatory bodies.

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 21
No one added this content, it was there when the game shipped. It is not possible that it could have been added because PS2 discs are based on DVD discs and cannot have content added by mods and codes, only unlocked. This was there when the game shipped, it just took awhile for anyone to find it.

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
The cnn storry doesn't mention the game getting pulled from the store shelves, just re-badged with a M rating.

the game already has an M rating. R* wants current stores to rebadge the games with AO rating (adults only)

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #10 of 21
hahahaha, i beat the game already... and its really hard to admit, but i had a dream that i took an M4 and was killing ppl w/ headshots and then FBI was looking for me (just like in the game)..... then i woke up and finished the game in the next day.... lol... i know, it sounds dumb, but thats what happened to me

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #11 of 21
The ESRB is one of the many morality monitor organizations where people get paid far too much to do far too little. The ESRB rating could be "SC" (Senior Citizen 65-over) and little kids would be playing it anyway. Bottom line: if parents don't care enough to make even the smallest effort to monitor their children, the ESRB ratings won't prevent kids from playing a game.

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 21
Someone on another message board had this to say

Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong but...

Isn't GTA: San Andreas a game where the "protagonist" commits the following CAPITAL OFFENSES..

1. Bank-robbery-related murder or kidnapping.
2. Death resulting from aircraft piracy.
3. Death resulting from offenses involving transportation of explosives, destruction of government property, or destruction of property related to foreign or interstate commerce.
4. Destruction of aircraft, motor vehicles, or related facilities resulting in death.
5. First-degree murder.
6. Murder committed by the use of a firearm during a crime of violence or a drug trafficking crime.
7. Murder committed during a drug-related drive-by shooting.
8. Murder committed at an airport serving international civil aviation.
9. Murder committed during an offense against a maritime fixed platform.
10. Murder committed in a Federal Government facility.
11. Murder of a Federal judge or law enforcement official.
12. Murder of a State or local law enforcement official or other person aiding in a Federal investigation; murder of a State correctional officer.
13. Murder related to a carjacking.
14. Murder with the intent of preventing testimony by a witness, victim, or informant.

I mean this dude murders a guy just to get his camera, drowns an innocent woman for no other reason that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So apparently it's okay with the ESRB to show the protagonist commit virtually every crime known to man, but if he is shown to have sex...well then we have a problem.

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
No one added this content, it was there when the game shipped.

Why would you code something into a game that was never intended to be executed,? Rockstar, I call your bulls**t.

OT, but they're also coming out with a game where you play a violent sociopathic bully at prep school, yes, a great influence for the young. Considering how bullying leads to school-shootings, messed up heads, and other bad crap. Course, I'm sure rockstar wil be making a bundle off our idiocy.

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Why would you code something into a game that was never intended to be executed,? Rockstar, I call your bulls**t.

OT, but they're also coming out with a game where you play a violent sociopathic bully at prep school, yes, a great influence for the young. Considering how bullying leads to school-shootings, messed up heads, and other bad crap. Course, I'm sure rockstar wil be making a bundle off our idiocy.

They made their bet that it would never become a big issue, and their bluff got called. I personally believe that that's not a game kids should be playing and I don't find it fun at all.

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
OT, but they're also coming out with a game where you play a violent sociopathic bully at prep school

Are you serious?

What's next, a game where you play a rapist? Get extra points for cruising by the schoolyard, picking up a six year old, and later dumping her body in a dumpster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back