espresso (no, not -fi) ;)
Jun 5, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #32 of 42
Thanks for the tips guys - much appreciated. I typically use Starbucks roasted coffee beans - I agree that it usually tastes fairly burnt, but everything else I've tried that I can buy in stores around here tastes worse (acidic, etc). Any good places to buy roasted beans online?

As far as grinders, anything that is highly recommended for $200 or less? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a Rancilio Rocky? I have a feeling that my Capresso is definitely a limiting factor.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #33 of 42
I lucked out several years ago when peets was selling out their high end inventory of gear. I got some burr grinders (pasquini) for a song.

you could buy used gear and then just replace some of the wearing parts. one of the good things about higher end (coffee) gear is that its repairable.

I plan to get a good 10+ yrs from mine. in fact, my grinder is about 5 yrs old and shows no signs of use beyond what it looked like, new (it held up *that* well!)

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tips guys - much appreciated. I typically use Starbucks roasted coffee beans - I agree that it usually tastes fairly burnt, but everything else I've tried that I can buy in stores around here tastes worse (acidic, etc). Any good places to buy roasted beans online?

As far as grinders, anything that is highly recommended for $200 or less? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a Rancilio Rocky? I have a feeling that my Capresso is definitely a limiting factor.

For around $200, you can get a Baratza Virtuoso burr grinder. I haven't used mine for espresso, but it's supposed to be capable of doing satisfactory espresso grinds.

Electric Coffee Mills, Espresso Coffee Mills: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro, Bodum C-Mill

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #35 of 42
Jun 5, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #36 of 42
oh, I have one of those, too; but I don't use it anymore.

it does work, though; and its the bare min to 'enter' this level
wink.gif

I think mine was $99 about 5 yrs ago.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #37 of 42
@linuxworks: What more does a grinder need to be better in terms of the actual quality of the grind? I find this grinder works just fine.... I'm not sure why I would even want a better one.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I typically use Starbucks roasted coffee beans - I agree that it usually tastes fairly burnt, but everything else I've tried that I can buy in stores around here tastes worse (acidic, etc). Any good places to buy roasted beans online?

First off I'd suggest doing some web searches to find local roasters where you live. If you find something you like, you'll get coffee as fresh as can be bought, and you'll be supporting a local business.

Further afield, Intelligentsia Black Cat is considered a very good espresso by many. They're in Chicago. I also really like Metropolis Redline, also from Chicago - that one is mad with crema and is just crazy-good poured over ice cream, as well as drunk straight.

My own mainstay in the USA is Californian, Barefoot's The Boss. I also really like Flying Goat Espresso Ticino (and Flying Goat's Baraka Blend was our daily drip coffee when we lived in the States, FWIW).

But if you're on the East Coast, shipping from California will eat up too much of your roasted coffee's limited lifespan to be worthwhile, so do stick to something close to home if you can find it.

Quote:

Owners of Rockys and Mazzers may laugh at this, but I get very pleasing results from a Zassenhaus manual mill, about $80. It took me a while to get used to it, but now that I have the knack I really think I'm getting espressos comparable to those from my old Ascaso iMini ($200). A bit more work, but I really don't mind it -- I just take the grinder back to my computer and crank out a shot while I'm surfing.

As for the $200 iMini, it's a good grinder, with an incredibly fine adjustment range (so you can get your espresso dialed in just so, if you're patient enough), and you might want to consider it. I was very happy with it, but making coarse adjustments takes forever, so forget about making espresso and drip with the same grinder (let alone espresso and French press) -- it's not going to happen. It's also quite noisy. Part of why I'm using a Zass now is that in our new place the kitchen is close to the baby's room. The Zass grinds with little more than a soft crunching noise, while the iMini's so loud it would be a complete nonstarter in the new place.

Edit: @linuxworks: btw if you haven't been to Barefoot, go. They're not far. Good stuff. 5237 Stevens Creek at Lawrence. They have classes and things too.

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #39 of 42
Starbucks tastes burned/charred to me and about everyone I know ... thus I call it 'Charbucks' ...
I absolutely do NOT care for over-roasted or even French roasted coffee ...
If it's not light roasted, I don't want it ...caffeine molecules are destroyed the more roasted the beans are ... I rather have my caffeine molecules intact !

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@linuxworks: What more does a grinder need to be better in terms of the actual quality of the grind? I find this grinder works just fine.... I'm not sure why I would even want a better one.

the better grinders all have much more durable parts, will last longer, and usually have very good motors and burrs so that at very low speeds you will get whatever grind you desire. they will also be much more consistent grinds. my mazzer mini has a step-less adjustment so that i can dial in the proper grind. i'm thinking this grinder will last me a good 30+ years!

that being said, i think what you have is more than adequate. it might die on you sooner rather than later, but for making espressos and coffee, it will work fine.

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the better grinders all have much more durable parts, will last longer, and usually have very good motors and burrs so that at very low speeds you will get whatever grind you desire. they will also be much more consistent grinds. my mazzer mini has a step-less adjustment so that i can dial in the proper grind. i'm thinking this grinder will last me a good 30+ years!

that being said, i think what you have is more than adequate. it might die on you sooner rather than later, but for making espressos and coffee, it will work fine.

I agree with everything you said, but I think you'll need new burrs before 30 years, well depending on how much you use. Also the grind consistancy is very important or more so for making espresso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back