espresso (no, not -fi) ;)
May 22, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's an entirely different class of machine. The second boiler adds a substantial amount of cost. It's more convenient, but it's also a lot of money.

The Silvia is around $600. I've almost got the wife convinced to let me buy one. I've already got fairly decent grinder (Baratza Virtuoso). ...

Dealer price for Silvia is around $400.00 and I've seen them on the net for around $530 up, got mine for a little better price and I'm a happy camper.

May 22, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #17 of 42
wow, there's quite a bit of markup from $400 to the $600 that its now going for.

well, its all water under the filter, now, for me; just used up some amazon credits toward the silvia. guess it will be here in a week or so. damned credits. they made me do it..
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #20 of 42
Ugh, now I have a craving for an espresso. Too bad I'm hyper-sensitive to coffee/espresso caffeine and usually can't sleep even if I drink it in the morning.
frown.gif

I take that risk anyways. Too bad my parents only buy low grade coffee, and don't have an espresso machine. I haven't had an espresso in at least a year.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #21 of 42
I got spoiled when the companies in my locale started offering really pro level espresso machines in their break/coffee rooms. some machines are 5 figures in price, too, and there might be 4 of those machines per building and some companies can have 10's of buildings!

now that I work from home, I needed to have a good machine. I think this one may actually last, too
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #22 of 42
I'm curious, in what way was the Gaggia not working for you? And how is the Silvia better?

I'm using a Gaggia Classic with terrific results, but I make one espresso at a time (usually just one per day) so a small boiler isn't an issue for me.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #23 of 42
I had a gaggia baby 'twin' that was supposed to have 2 boilers but it really had 1 boiler and 1 thermoblock. the tblock was reported to have a 'rubber/oil smell' from it and sure enough, mine did too ;( ruined the froth and made coffee and esrpresso only but the froth was useless on that machine. amazon reviews also echo this issue ;(

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #24 of 42
What would you espresso pro's rank as most important in terms of making great coffee? The machine itself?

I currently have a relatively cheap Saeco Magic Cappucinno that works pretty well, but just doesn't produce anything truly comparable to restaurant quality espresso. Would upgrading to something like the Rancilio make a big difference? I also have a relatively decent Capresso burr grinder, which I don't feel like upgrading at the moment.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #25 of 42
everyone I talk to emphasizes the GRINDER as #1.

if you have a 'pressurized filter' (fake crema maker concept) then it won't matter as much. if you have a commercial 58mm size basket and it does not have a 'gap' at the filter base then you need a very fine ground to make it properly.

if you have a burr grinder, you probably just need to find the right grind. trial and error.

on fussy machines, its the grind, the amount you use, the pressure in tamping - lots of things. seems to be a multi-variable equation of sorts
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #26 of 42
Hmm, interesting, thanks. I may be grinding my beans too coarsely, so I will try using a finer setting. I actually don't have a tamper - I just use the plastic spoon I use to scoop the grinds from the grinder to level off the basket. Is a tamper important?

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #29 of 42
Beans, and then grinder, lead it for me. I can't make satisfactory espresso out of beans that are more than a couple weeks past date of roast, and no tinkering with grind or tamp changes that. And the beans have to be, well, an espresso blend that I like. Not all of them are. Try some different beans from different suppliers and see what you like. Keep in mind that a lot of the mass-market cafés (Starbucks, Peets etc.) sell primarily milk drinks and that their espresso blends (IMO) reflect the expectation that the espresso is going to be merged with pretty vast quantities of milk and often sugar syrup, so they're (again IMO) roasted and blended on the dark, harsh and bitter side rather than roasted and blended to make a great standalone espresso.

After beans, then yes, the grind. You need to experiment with your grind, and your optimal grind will often be a bit different for every espresso bean blend you try. (In fact for best results your grind will need to be adjusted a bit from day to day as a given batch of beans ages...but, baby steps, don't have to get into that right now.) Your Capresso burr grinder is probably OK to start with, but, if it's like the one we gave my in-laws a couple years ago, it may not produce really consistent particle sizes and you might be looking at an upgrade before you produce really top-quality espresso. But first spend some time experimenting with the one you have to be sure you're getting all you can out of it.

And then yes, I would get a tamper. People get into all kinds of esoterica with these, but I use one that cost me about $25 and it suits me fine.

After you're getting the best results you can get with all of those, start playing with temperature. I don't know your Saeco, but generally people do this by manipulating the timing of their shot relative to the timing of the heating elements inside the machine. Do a web search on 'temperature surfing' to read more than you want to know about this technique.

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #30 of 42
beans and grinder are most important, in no particular order. as episiarch has already said, fresh beans are a must, and you won't be able to get good-tasting espresso with bad beans, regardless if everything else is right. i'm particular to single-origin espressos, but one of these days i'll tinker with blends.

i think a good burr grinder is a must. my favorite? the mazzer mini...but any burr grinder will work. you CAN'T do espresso without a burr grinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back