Eskuche 33 and 1/3 Headphones
Oct 31, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 14
No offense to you but I find those things pretty ugly. Porta pros are very liked around here. Also look into sennheiser px100. Great sounding headphones and both are great for portable use.

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 14
ok porta pros it is...

drizzt - none taken bro, i asked for opinions and thats an opinion... a rather nicely stated one at that... thanks! i'm a big fan of steampunk...

jjsoviet - thanks man... all i needed to know... i've been on the fence about porta pro's for a while, got an sr-60 (cords too thick for portable use bleeds like shotgun wound), sennheiser hd-205 (earcups get really warm), bose tripro (i got it for free and its a decent pair for being free)...

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 14
i know, i kinda liked it for its uber-retro look... i mean it looks older than my grandpa... kinda like something out of a Hayao Miyazaki anime... i wonder if anyone here has actually tried it...

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 14
Considering how popular Grados are here, I don't think too many people would object to the styling. If you want the retro styling, the Grado SR-60 would be a safer bet in the same price range. Although not as shiny.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 14
scompton... yeah i got those already, i'm just not comfy commuting with that thick cord... has anyone here used these particular headphones? i wonder if the mighty reviews have come across these headphones... i love grados but i seriousl have a problem with the cord and they bleed... a lot...

but your right about the styling... thanks! much appreciated!

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 14
I'd be interested in hearing some reviews of these phones. It sounds like they have detachable cables which is rather uncommon in cheap headphones, whatever their sound quality.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be interested in hearing some reviews of these phones. It sounds like they have detachable cables which is rather uncommon in cheap headphones, whatever their sound quality.

If you look at the pictures, the cord isn't detachable. It's only 6 inches long and it basically comes with 2 headphone extension cables.

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look at the pictures, the cord isn't detachable. It's only 6 inches long and it basically comes with 2 headphone extension cables.

Oh, I hadn't really looked at the pics other than the first one, thanks for pointing that out
beerchug.gif
. With a replaceable cord these interested me, but since its just different extensions they are less appealing.
redface.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 14
Hey shyp, if you are looking at the porta pros and haven't bought them yet I saw them in the Best buy circular for $10 off.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 14
I just bought a pair yesterday so they are not even broken in yet. But I did spend quite a bit of time down at 32 Ohm Audio (Portland) with the demo sets. I went in specifically looking for a pair of sub-$100 phones striclty for portable thrashing around. I have to assume the all the demo sets on the wall are fairly broken in. And I demoed straight off an Ipod just like I intend to use them.

Compared to everything else in this range these were my favorites. Nice tight bass that I felt was pretty well controlled. Maybe slightly rolled off at the top but to me that also means less sibilance. I am very sensitive to sibilance, in part I think due to a long career in woodworking with routers, saws, and such. The mids I found very accurate, i.e. my attention wasn't drawn to that band as either deficient or pronounced. All in all very smooth sounding to my ears.

Pretty dang comfortable for a inexpensive supra-aural's, I much prefer circum-aural but for the intended use I was willing to compromise. I did have a couple of choices in the full size but at that price range none of them sounded as good as the Eskuche's.

Some of the others I was trying included the Ultrasone HFI-450's which were my 2nd choice, stronger bass but a little bloated in comparison and while seemed to go a little higher more sibilant. The Grado 60's and 80's just seemed to shriek at me after the Eskuche's and I understand the Grado sound even though I find them very forward. There were a couple Sony's (can't remember the models) that just didn't do a thing for me. And some Senn's (again can't remember mod's) that were good but didn't sound as natural.

At this price range ($58 out the door) I wasn't expecting a lot. And 32 Ohm is a headphone "boutique" with some very nice gear and they did a very good job of selecting a line up in this price range. Got to love a store you can go in and demo everything from $29 earbuds up to the TOTL Denons, Grado's , and Senn's (no Beyer's though?). But I am very satisfied with the Eskuche's so far and am pretty impressed for a "lifestyle" headphone.

After getting home I put them on a SS receiver and let them run for about 8 hrs while I was out. Got home plugged them into my Ipod and re-listened. Yep, everything I remembered from the store. Then I made the mistake of firing up my home rig, Beyer DT-880's driven by an ASL OTL amp. No comparison, bigger than life real sound. After about an hour I went back to the Ipod and Eskuche's and they weren't shamed. I knew I was listening to portable phones but they still sounded decent.

Disclaimer: for the price I am aware that I could've got some in-ear's with good sound but I personally cannot stand ear-buds or IEM's. They just irritate me.

Anyway I know this is an old thread but thought I would ad my 2 cents for anyone doing a search on the Eskuche 33 1/3 phones.

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #14 of 14
Have to agree completely with the above, very elegant and pleasurable listen.  I picked some up in a sale for about $22, and they whoop many others cans I've tried. Something about them - imagine K701s but sweeter or flimsy B&Ws.  Perfect for my daily commute and would buy another pair immediately if lost or broken.

cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back