ESI Juli@ or M-Audio Audiophile 192 - final questions before ordering
Jul 16, 2005 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jesper

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I'm about to order a new sound card for my PC and after a couple of weeks with extensive research
confused.gif
I've narrowed down the selection to either ESI Juli@ or M-Audio Audiophile 192. I leaning towards the Juli@ as it's cheaper (app 30%) than the AP 192 and has the RCA option (no need for breakout cables and/or TRS -> RCA adaptors). I just need to clarify a couple of things before I order one:

According to "sgrossklass" there might be some problems with DD/DTS pass thru on the Juli@ (he's refering to a test in a german mag. that I have not read)
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=122864
Can some one please confirm this. Or is it due to a missed driver options as "sgrossklass" mentions?

Is it possible to use the analog out and the digital out on the same time (with the same signal) ?

Is there anything that should keep me from buying the Juli@ (problems with sound quality, drivers, bugs etc.) ?

TIA,

Jesper

Jul 16, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 17
If you lived in the US, or if you are ordering from the US, amazon.com has the Audiophile 192 for $130 right now. I am at the exact same point you are as far as deciding which card to get. That price just might send me towards the AP192.

It's hard to tell which one will be better since there is hardly no info on those cards review wise anywhere. I'm sure either one we pick will be 90% of what we can get out of a computer setup without an external DAC anyway. Well, good luck in your decision!!

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 17
If there's anyone on this board with an ESI Juli@, I'd be more than willing to let 'em borrow my AP192 for a week to do a comparison. I'm sure someone with a 1212M would do the same.

Edit: Just not, like... NOW. I've got a meet to go to.
340smile.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #5 of 17
I've been thinking about getting a sound card too in a similar price range, but I didn't know of these two cards. My options were only the 0404 and the 5.1 Revolution, but now I guess it's the Audiophile 192 and the ESI Juli@ also (The ESI Juli@ is quite a beautiful card). I'm guessing it's safe to say Audiophile 192 > 5.1 Revolution, so I can throw that card out of the mix? I'm guessing, Jesper, that you already took a look at the 0404 and aren't interested?

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 17
uhmm I have 1212m myself, I can pick Juli@ from school.. but I'm not entirely sure I'd have time for that
wink.gif

anyway, Juli@ is a nice card, although I used it only with digital I/O, I can say the drivers are really cute.. I think both AP192 and Juli@ should sound pretty much alike because of the same parts used, same DACs, same opamps, same Envy.. the only thing different is low pass design, layout and supply design..

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I'm guessing it's safe to say Audiophile 192 > 5.1 Revolution, so I can throw that card out of the mix?

I wouldn't be so fast with such judgement.. provided they both use the same DACs, opamps, supply threatment and the Envy and it's surroundings are the same as usuall.. one thing where they have to differ is analog section.. not the opamps used, they are the same, but AP192 has to accomodate -10/+4 consumer/pro switching (if it's not done digitally).. AP192 cost more because it's aimed at pros, Delta series drivers are more capable, you can use multicard, you have digital I/O not just O and such.. oh and of course it should have better A/D as well..

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 17
One more for the Juli@:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...lia/index.html
That concept sure is cute. Note how they apparently managed to use the HT-S to save costs. Also, no electrolytics here, only SMD parts. (Don't ask me how to find out what kind of dielectric these little ceramic caps use.)
Pages 2 and 3 of this thread are interesting when it comes to mods (along with opamps etc. in general):
http://forum.rightmark.org/topic.cgi?id=4:504-2

Driver support is obviously better for the AP192, being covered with the M-Audio Delta series. Even 64-bit Windows drivers are already available. The card's looks themselves are rather different from the Juli@'s, it's plastered with electrolytics (I'm not good at IDing those visually, they do seem to be different than the pretty ordinary looking ones on the Revo 5.1 though).

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I'm guessing, Jesper, that you already took a look at the 0404 and aren't interested?

I have considered the 0404 but decided against it because of no DD/DTS pass thru and (according to some) cumbersome/buggy drivers.

I think I'll just get a Juli@ - it seems that the difference between it and the AP192 are minute sound wise and the Juli@ is some 25% cheaper here in Denmark at the moment. The RCA-option will also save me some money for a breakout cable by allowing me to connect the card directly to my new Corda HA-2 (just ordered - should arrive within the next week) with my new Meier interconnects
smily_headphones1.gif

/Jesper

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 17
I can't think of how can ESI drivers be improved upon, they're really cool.. probably the only think you will miss is Delta's multicard capability.. I'd pick Juli@ over AP192 even if they were priced the same.. but that's just me..

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
I can't think of how can ESI drivers be improved upon, they're really cool.. probably the only think you will miss is Delta's multicard capability.. I'd pick Juli@ over AP192 even if they were priced the same.. but that's just me..

I won't be using the multicard abilities anyway so I guess Juli@ it is!

BTW - did you ever use DD/DTS pass thru on the Juli@? What made you switch to 1212?

/Jesper

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesper
I won't be using the multicard abilities anyway so I guess Juli@ it is!

BTW - did you ever use DD/DTS pass thru on the Juli@? What made you switch to 1212?

/Jesper

I've been using Juli@ for a couple of months now and I'm very pleased. I had AV710 before this but I couldn't make a decent comparison because my other equipment changed at the same time (it's a bit hard to explain), but anyway I like what I hear.

Drivers are very simple and working great.

I haven't tried DD/DTS passthrough myself but my friend who has same card says it works fine.

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Drivers are very simple and working great.

I haven't tried DD/DTS passthrough myself but my friend who has same card says it works fine.

Great! I'll go with the Juli@ then - will try to get my hands on one tomorrow
biggrin.gif

/Jesper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back