ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Aug 11, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #1,216 of 1,571
Have not used them much with the WM1ZM2 to be honest... cos I've been playing with the Sho too much haha... let me use them over the weekend properly and get back to you.
thanks! Look forward to it! 🙏

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #1,217 of 1,571
thanks! Look forward to it! 🙏
Ok... I ended up listening to this and could not stop... I really need to stop now though... work in a few hours...

Jacky always performs to 120% live and listening to this out of the R10 and WM1ZM2 gave me so many goosebumps tonight! I've only ever listened to this out of the 800S and desktop before and this was a pleasant surprise.

This combo made me want to listen loud... I'm on 96 high gain. There is no distortion, no piercing notes, no congestion. Damn, just had another goosebump while typing this as Jacky went into overdrive high pitch...

The mixing done on this album is just amazing. Listen to the drum roll from one end to the other of the stadium. The instrument placements, imaging... all balanced with Jacky singing down from the heavens. God of Songs!

I need to listen to this combo more!

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,218 of 1,571
The ES-R10 sound really good on a WM-NW1Z (balanced, high gain). They sound even a little better on an iBasso 300MAX (ti? Whatever Purk lent me). But they clearly sound best with a great desktop DAC & balanced amp. For me, they really responded to DACs with slightly warm tone & meaty sound that still render great detail (Questyle CAS192 w/ Audiophilleo, Phison PD2 also w/ Audiophilleo - these combinations sound the most "analog-like" to me. Yggy w/ AP was also OK). And the same kind of SS amp - slightly warm tone, large soundstage, powerful meaty bass (Headroom Max Balanced). These are headphones that can take advantage of the improved spatial information from top-flight desktop gear. So yes, they will excel on vinyl sources too.

That said, it's very appealing that they're so easy to drive and thus still thrive on good portable gear.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #1,219 of 1,571
I agree these headphones are pretty easy to drive and not super amp picky like some other headphones. They benefit from better gear, like most headphones, and if they were super detailed then I would say amps might make a bigger difference. They are pretty forgiving and sound good on just about everything and even better on better gear. On the Sony TA-ZH1ES, they sound great with a very nice tone. When connecting the ZH1ES to M-Scaler, it sounds even better with more separation. Running off a 300B (EC Studio B) amp and better DAC (Holo Spring) they sound excellent. Comparing EC Studio B to DNA Stratus on these headphones, it's a push with slightly different flavors based on tubes. SS Amps do great and again I don't find these headphones to be super picky on amps. That's probably why you are seeing so many have great success with their gear in previous posts with pairings. HD800 or 1266 TC on the other hand are pretty picky and need specific amps to drive them properly.

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #1,220 of 1,571
Thanks @justanut @mulveling @jjshin23 ! Just what I needed to hear. I am especially heartened to hear they have great synergy with the Sony ecosystem. 🙏

I will place an order next week or so. Currently, enjoying no 81 of the the ES-1a. :)

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #1,221 of 1,571
Thanks @justanut @mulveling @jjshin23 ! Just what I needed to hear. I am especially heartened to hear they have great synergy with the Sony ecosystem. 🙏

I will place an order next week or so. Currently, enjoying no 81 of the the ES-1a. :)
What have you compared the ES-1a to? They interest me.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #1,222 of 1,571
What have you compared the ES-1a to? They interest me.
Not done extensive/in depth comparison. But I do have a few other electrostats. I find them a good balance. :)

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #1,223 of 1,571
For me the ES1a fills the role that 009S did, at less than half the price. Sort of like a 009 with a golden/warm tilt and maybe slightly bigger soundstage. The only problem is it’s 4dB less efficient than 009 and 009S so you’ll want a powerful, neutral-ish amp for it. Same as 007 Mk 1 in driver requirements. KGSShv or Carbon should be perfect.

I didn’t even know who ES Lab was before April, but they’ve impressed the hell out of me since then - best bargains in high end headphones right now.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #1,224 of 1,571
For me the ES1a fills the role that 009S did, at less than half the price. Sort of like a 009 with a golden/warm tilt and maybe slightly bigger soundstage. The only problem is it’s 4dB less efficient than 009 and 009S so you’ll want a powerful, neutral-ish amp for it. Same as 007 Mk 1 in driver requirements. KGSShv or Carbon should be perfect.

I didn’t even know who ES Lab was before April, but they’ve impressed the hell out of me since then - best bargains in high end headphones right now.
Interesting. Well my Z10e has plenty of power. It is upgraded with Audio Note tantalum resistors and excellent caps and increased capacitance in some of the supply so if the stat has potential, I think the Z10e will work very well.

Aug 12, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #1,225 of 1,571
I am pondering the ES-R10… Has anyone tried it out of the Sony TA-ZH1ES or DMP-Z1. Or the new Sony M2 DAPs? @justanut , will you have any views on this? 🙏
Go for it. The DMP-Z1 compliments the ES-R10 perfectly. The TA-ZH1ES also does a very decent job with it. The ES-R10 is very easy to power and the M2 DAP should do a good job with it as well. My ES-R10 sounds its very best out of my Audio-Technica HA-5050h amplifier however.

Aug 12, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #1,226 of 1,571
The ES-R10 sound really good on a WM-NW1Z (balanced, high gain). They sound even a little better on an iBasso 300MAX (ti? Whatever Purk lent me). But they clearly sound best with a great desktop DAC & balanced amp. For me, they really responded to DACs with slightly warm tone & meaty sound that still render great detail (Questyle CAS192 w/ Audiophilleo, Phison PD2 also w/ Audiophilleo - these combinations sound the most "analog-like" to me. Yggy w/ AP was also OK). And the same kind of SS amp - slightly warm tone, large soundstage, powerful meaty bass (Headroom Max Balanced). These are headphones that can take advantage of the improved spatial information from top-flight desktop gear. So yes, they will excel on vinyl sources too.

That said, it's very appealing that they're so easy to drive and thus still thrive on good portable gear.
What I lent you was the Ibasso DX220 Max with a mod. I personally like that better than my WM1Z mod that I sold you but this is more of a preference here. The Ibasso DX300Max Ti is quite a bit better actually and @jamato8 can confirm that too. Agreed on this sounding quite excellent out of a Headroom Max Balanced!

Aug 12, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #1,227 of 1,571
Go for it. The DMP-Z1 compliments the ES-R10 perfectly. The TA-ZH1ES also does a very decent job with it. The ES-R10 is very easy to power and the M2 DAP should do a good job with it as well. My ES-R10 sounds its very best out of my Audio-Technica HA-5050h amplifier however.
Thanks! Duly noted!

Aug 12, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #1,228 of 1,571
ES-LAB is a great company that is doing everything right so far. From pricing to design approach they are way better than some of their competitors.
The ES1A is way better than the 009S! Sorry to say but the 009S sucks. 😆

The 009 OG is okay, it's good but the Es1a is just a better value price product that it beats both the 009 series.

Both the es1a and R10 out rank 90% of headphones today. The only problem for me is that they are not Harman Curve neutral and not figuring out the ultimate sound I am seeking at the moment 🤷
Owell

20220413_133848.jpg

Aug 12, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #1,229 of 1,571
I don't care about any curves but the one in my head. And a big part of that is built from what I hear in live acoustical music and amplified. I don't give a a hoot about anything else. Too many variables like venues, recording equipment, acoustics in the space. Even my violin sound different at different times but it is what it is and while I understand the "curve" it really doesn't set the parameters for me.

Aug 12, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #1,230 of 1,571
It has now set for me. The curve has been documented and studied and agreed that it is the universal solution for the ultimate sound signature.

The problem is that people haven't heard the Curve in its ultimate form. The perfected curve.

I have and that's why I am now preaching on it like a mad man who heard the Sony MDR R10 for the first time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back