ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Aug 19, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #1,261 of 1,569
Whilst I await the ES-R10, I really can’t complain that I have another of ESLabs great creations to keep me occupied. It is one of those headphones which once you put on, it is difficult to put down. I do hope the ES-R10 will give me as much joy. :)

CD5C713A-8014-4B4F-B78E-F12CA5DCE646.jpeg
Been using R10 with WM1ZM2 all week. Realise they sound fine on low gain 108ish volume. Have not switched on my desktop set / 800S at all >..<

This combo is making everything else obsolete.

Aug 19, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #1,262 of 1,569
Whilst I await the ES-R10, I really can’t complain that I have another of ESLabs great creations to keep me occupied. It is one of those headphones which once you put on, it is difficult to put down. I do hope the ES-R10 will give me as much joy. :)

CD5C713A-8014-4B4F-B78E-F12CA5DCE646.jpeg
I wish I have the time to listen to all the headphones you own... I would be very overwhelmed with that collection, even if I consider the cost of each pair...

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #1,263 of 1,569
I wish I have the time to listen to all the headphones you own... I would be very overwhelmed with that collection, even if I consider the cost of each pair...
It is but an accumulation over years in the hobby. I seldom buy unless I know it is a keeper. and I seldom sell as a consequence. :) Rotation.

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #1,265 of 1,569
U have the ES-Sigma, so that 3 strikes makes u a hardcore ES fanboy 😆
Hahah! The ES-Sigma was a no brainer. It is a good price for a 404 driver in a Sigma. :) And I will admit that it was a punt.

Looking forward to what else the ESLabs boys work on. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #1,266 of 1,569
The more time on the ES R10, the more open the sound is, more layered and very transparent. Reminds me so much of the MDR10 but with wider capabilities from classical and getting the timbre right for stringed and wind instruments to hard rock. Good stuff!

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #1,267 of 1,569
The more time on the ES R10, the more open the sound is, more layered and very transparent. Reminds me so much of the MDR10 but with wider capabilities from classical and getting the timbre right for stringed and wind instruments to hard rock. Good stuff!
Glad that more are now discovering this sleeper hit! Currently my end game closed back.

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #1,268 of 1,569
Glad that more are now discovering this sleeper hit! Currently my end game closed back.
They create a very open and detailed but natural sound stage. In ways, preferable to a number of open headphones I have because no interference from outside sounds, that get in the way of the sound stage. But open and free of distractions, like the MDR10 but no current worry about deteriorating drivers or foam and while some complain about the earpads, they do, for me, an excellent job. Fit just over my medium sized ears so no on ear but over ears. Also, very easy to drive and sound excellent with, yes, you will read this right and I have many extremely find excellent amps, the Little Bear balanced amp that costs 107 on Amazon. The Little Bear I have here is very quiet, dynamic, bass is excellent and the stage is both wide and deep. A very simple circuit in the Little bear and I did put in 2 dual Burson op amps.

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #1,269 of 1,569
@jamato8
Glad you're liking them, and I agree! I'm not even a "soundstage" guy but the ES-R10's soundstage really has some magic to it that enhances the experience. They sound "open" for a closed can, but that's not quite it either - the large wood cups create a wonderful timbre, spaciousness, and sonic reinforcement that stands apart from open backs and other closed backs. They're wonderfully tuned, and really can be quite spectacular with rock. I think it exposes the typical shallow closed wood cup designs as a fairly flawed approach.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #1,270 of 1,569
They create a very open and detailed but natural sound stage. In ways, preferable to a number of open headphones I have because no interference from outside sounds, that get in the way of the sound stage. But open and free of distractions, like the MDR10 but no current worry about deteriorating drivers or foam and while some complain about the earpads, they do, for me, an excellent job. Fit just over my medium sized ears so no on ear but over ears. Also, very easy to drive and sound excellent with, yes, you will read this right and I have many extremely find excellent amps, the Little Bear balanced amp that costs 107 on Amazon. The Little Bear I have here is very quiet, dynamic, bass is excellent and the stage is both wide and deep. A very simple circuit in the Little bear and I did put in 2 dual Burson op amps.
They basically fit over my ears too, which is why earlier I thought they were more over ear than on ear. Regardless of how you define them, the pads are large, fluffy and very comfortable. I'm enamored with the ES R10. The HE1000se I have is technically superior, but I find myself reaching for these way more. They're pretty special.

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #1,271 of 1,569
They sound "open" for a closed can, but that's not quite it either - the large wood cups create a wonderful timbre, spaciousness, and sonic reinforcement that stands apart from open backs and other closed backs. They're wonderfully tuned, and really can be quite spectacular with rock.
^ this. And yes, rock!

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #1,272 of 1,569
^ this. And yes, rock!
They basically fit over my ears too, which is why earlier I thought they were more over ear than on ear. Regardless of how you define them, the pads are large, fluffy and very comfortable. I'm enamored with the ES R10. The HE1000se I have is technically superior, but I find myself reaching for these way more. They're pretty special.
I would try a different cable then. I don't know what one you are using but I am using the Whiplash (original not the current, which is just the name form a different company that bought the rights) Twau cable. Excellent cable that I use with all my headphones except electrostatic. I have Ys for every headphone and if there is no connector on the phone, like the TH900 original, I installed the Y of the Twau cable. Even when the Twau was new at 700 dollars it was a bargain as I know how much the raw cost was and Craig didn't make much money. The cable is Swiss made under perfectionist control for the silver and super thin gold plating.

Eight braid in the cable does it. :^)

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #1,273 of 1,569
I would try a different cable then. I don't know what one you are using but I am using the Whiplash (original not the current, which is just the name form a different company that bought the rights) Twau cable. Excellent cable that I use with all my headphones except electrostatic. I have Ys for every headphone and if there is no connector on the phone, like the TH900 original, I installed the Y of the Twau cable. Even when the Twau was new at 700 dollars it was a bargain as I know how much the raw cost was and Craig didn't make much money. The cable is Swiss made under perfectionist control for the silver and super thin gold plating.

Eight braid in the cable does it. :^)
I may have been misunderstood.. I have no issue with the sound, nor cable

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,274 of 1,569
I may have been misunderstood.. I have no issue with the sound, nor cable
No, I understood. I just meant that they can reach even higher. :^)

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #1,275 of 1,569
No, I understood. I just meant that they can reach even higher. :^)
Point taken. Someone mentioned a while back that silver cable worked well with the ES R10. I honestly am totally happy with the sound though, so it's not a huge priority. So many other things in this hobby to burn money on :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back