Erzetich Phobos 2021 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #16 of 32
Thanks Shakhal - appreciate the impressions. I have been looking for a good deal on a used Forza hybrid noir cable for a while now. Did you ever compare the Forza cable to the stock? (I think the stock cable took a bit of time to open up - initially very boomy, with a very thick and wooly bottom).

I’m certainly interested to hear from users with experience comparing cables with the Phobos. But imagine the Forza would be a good match

Jul 22, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #17 of 32
Thanks Shakhal - appreciate the impressions. I have been looking for a good deal on a used Forza hybrid noir cable for a while now. Did you ever compare the Forza cable to the stock? (I think the stock cable took a bit of time to open up - initially very boomy, with a very thick and wooly bottom).

I’m certainly interested to hear from users with experience comparing cables with the Phobos. But imagine the Forza would be a good match
As a very satisfied owner of four Forza Noir Hybrid headphone cables, I am doubtful that others would be sellers of theirs. The FAW are excellent - and considering their reasonable price…!!

Jul 22, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #18 of 32
Appreciate that recommendation Jonathan! Before getting the Phobos, there were three used hybrid noirs I nearly bought, but was wary of getting a new cable before hearing them myself… but not too have come up since… also tempted to fork out for the Furutech plugs (so if you have experience on that front, let me know)

Jul 22, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #19 of 32
Appreciate that recommendation Jonathan! Before getting the Phobos, there were three used hybrid noirs I nearly bought, but was wary of getting a new cable before hearing them myself… but not too have come up since… also tempted to fork out for the Furutech plugs (so if you have experience on that front, let me know)
When I have ordered h/p cable with XLR terminations (both amplifier end & headphone end), I have always specified Furutech.

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #22 of 32
@Shakhal - interesting that with the copper Forza you described the Phobos as vivid and detailed. I haven’t no real comparisons to make with the Phobos with stock cable, but those are two things I hoped a cable would improve.. I would still say I hear more detail (in voices in particular) than with my speakers, but not on the level I hoped for.

Hope the hybrid noir gives it even more life. Do let us know what differences it makes.. and if you’re willing to compare to the stock cable, I’d appreciate what differences you pick up. Cheers!

Aug 20, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #23 of 32
At the moment I can say that the Silver Copper Hybrid has added a bit of bass, but it may only seem so because the mids are not so extended and do not dominate, they are equal to the rest.
I haven't tested the original cable much, because I have the BHA-1 and this amplifier from the SE does not sound well, only the XLR.
In general, the stock is similar to copper.

Attachments

• 20220812_192348.jpg
    20220812_192348.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 20, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #24 of 32
At the moment I can say that the Silver Copper Hybrid has added a bit of bass, but it may only seem so because the mids are not so extended and do not dominate, they are equal to the rest.
I haven't tested the original cable much, because I have the BHA-1 and this amplifier from the SE does not sound well, only the XLR.
In general, the stock is similar to copper.
Thanks for sharing. Perhaps they may need time to burn in? The stock cable seemed to take some time to settle (I was very underwhelmed for the first few days of listening, but the bass definition improved significantly over time and the whole experience became more enjoyable later on). Do share if you notice changes in the coming days or weeks :)

Sep 9, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 32
I had an Opportunity to test new Phobos 2021. It is sad that they are not popular. This is one of the best Headphones I Have ever heard.

I though weight will be a problem but they are very comfortable. soundstage is very big. Bigger then Arya v2. Mids are beautiful. Overall presentation makes music so enjoyable. Love them. Only con is the subbbass. But after 40hz the bass is there and is really well controled.

I wish I could listen to new ZMF Atrium and compare them to Phobos.

Sep 10, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #26 of 32
I had an Opportunity to test new Phobos 2021. It is sad that they are not popular. This is one of the best Headphones I Have ever heard.
I would be curious to know what other headphones you compared the Phobos to besides the Arya.

I thought the lack of sub-bass would be more of an issue for me than it has been.

I have been really impressed by the width of the soundstage. But how does the soundstage depth of the Phobos compare to its competitors?

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #27 of 32
I would be curious to know what other headphones you compared the Phobos to besides the Arya.
I have compared them directly to:
Ultrasone 15, Ultrasone 11
Arya v2
Ether 2, Ether Flow and Ether C Flow (this one I own)
Headphone One (previously owned them few months ago)
Fostex Th909,

And from memory:
D8000 (non pro version)
Focal Clear OG
Audeze 3, Audeze lcd-X and XC (both 2021),
Aeon 1 open, Aeon 2 closed
Senheiser HD800s
Beyerdynamic t1 v2,

Soundstage of Phobos is just on another lvl. It is huge. Wide and and Deep. Deepest I ever heard. There are some wider cans like Heddphone or HD800s but Phobos soundstage is better overall. Better imaging, better layering. 3d layering and separation is better in D8000 but still overal Phobos sounds better to me and is waaaay cheaper. Ultrasone 15 has better separation but still Phobos is better overall aaand again they are cheaper.

Comfort wise Phobos are one of the most comfortable cans for me. It was a surprise for me coz they are very heavy and I have big head. I had to sell Heddphone regarding its hot spot on top of my head. Ether 2 clamping force is just ridiculous. They are so uncomfortable. It is just weird because they are the lightest planets on the planet and still are uncomfortable. Same with D8000. Audeze are heavy and are pretty comfortable with new headband but they are not a competition for Phobos in this subject. I can wear Phobos for hours.

I thought the lack of sub-bass would be more of an issue for me than it has been.

Yes. I was worried it will be an issue for me as well but I think the bass overall as a whole is great. It is tight, controlled and is nicely emphasised. It is just great.

Like I said they are my favourite headphones for now. One of the best I ever heard.

I will compare them to Meze Empyran soon and maybe but maybe ZMF Attrium (not so soon unfortunately)

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #28 of 32
Ultrasone 15, Ultrasone 11….
Much obliged! appreciate the impressions and comparisons.

Instruments that are set really deep in the soundstage with speakers, appear at least as distant, but directly left or right of my ear with the Phobos. Whilst there’s good layering going wide, I’m not getting any sense of depth beyond my nose

But that must be peculiar to me and my rig - not the Phobos. The source is the same and I use the dac as pre and headphone amp (ADG R-27).

Anyone care to chime in on what I could do? Would angled pads help? Although I don’t know of any that fit (only looking at vegan options).

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #29 of 32
Ultrasone 15, Ultrasone 11
Arya v2
Ether 2, Ether Flow and Ether C Flow (this one I own)
Headphone One (previously owned them few months ago)
Fostex Th909,

And from memory:
D8000 (non pro version)
Focal Clear OG
Audeze 3, Audeze lcd-X and XC (both 2021),
Aeon 1 open, Aeon 2 closed
Senheiser HD800s
Beyerdynamic t1 v2,

Soundstage of Phobos is just on another lvl. It is huge. Wide and and Deep. Deepest I ever heard. There are some wider cans like Heddphone or HD800s but Phobos soundstage is better overall. Better imaging, better layering. 3d layering and separation is better in D8000 but still overal Phobos sounds better to me and is waaaay cheaper. Ultrasone 15 has better separation but still Phobos is better overall aaand again they are cheaper.

Comfort wise Phobos are one of the most comfortable cans for me. It was a surprise for me coz they are very heavy and I have big head. I had to sell Heddphone regarding its hot spot on top of my head. Ether 2 clamping force is just ridiculous. They are so uncomfortable. It is just weird because they are the lightest planets on the planet and still are uncomfortable. Same with D8000. Audeze are heavy and are pretty comfortable with new headband but they are not a competition for Phobos in this subject. I can wear Phobos for hours.

Yes. I was worried it will be an issue for me as well but I think the bass overall as a whole is great. It is tight, controlled and is nicely emphasised. It is just great.

Like I said they are my favourite headphones for now. One of the best I ever heard.

I will compare them to Meze Empyran soon and maybe but maybe ZMF Attrium (not so soon unfortunately)
I'd love to read your comparison with Meze Empyrean!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back