ERO MKC1862 0.47uF 100v
Apr 27, 2006 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Whitewind

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently building a Millett Hybrid and was wondering if "ERO MKC1862 0.47uF 100v" metal film capacitors are recommended for bypassing applications?
I managed to find a cheap source of them.

Would either ERO MKC or MKT metal film caps be better than WIMA MKP caps?

Thanks

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 9
ero is nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 9
Hi,

Be real careful about the coding. Although it changes from one company to another to some extent, generally ...

MKP stands for Metalized Polypropyrene Film Capacitors
KP stands for Polypropyrene FOIL Capacitors
MKT stands for Metalized Polyester Film Capacitors
MKC stands for Metalized Polycarbonate Film Capacitors (I think)

For powersupply bypassing (if that's what you mean), you do not need to go UBER-FI. I would simply go for MKT since they are very common and available cheap. And, keep the UBER MKP's and KP's for places they are worth a while.

But do becareful. Note whatever we say about capacitors used for SIGNAL COUPLING between amplifer stages, DO NOT NECESSARILY APPLY to powersupply coupling. In fact, for bypassing, some people swear by Tantalums or Ceramics which are no-no for signal coupling.

Note also, some people swear by MICA capacitors, but that is for tone-control.

I know it's hard. ... I suppose that's what some of us get paid a lot for ...

Tomo

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 9
Polycarbonate Capacitors are very decent for SIGNAL COUPLING and PSU bypassing. However, their voltage tolerance is low with respect to their price range. (But if you can get them cheap and you will never operate at high voltage, they are BUY for you.

... Nonetheless, if I were you, I might read around and consider other possibilities ... I kinda like my Stacked Ceramic Caps for bypassing, although everyone around here swear by expensive film/foils for bypassing.

Ciao, T

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 9
You are making it sound like MKCs are expensive. I don't know whether or not they are expensive, but I can get the ERO MKCs for about the same price as ERO MKTs.

Generally how much do MKCs go for, ie. similar to the one I specified? The ones I found on ebay are about $2 USD per cap. That is very expensive.

Thanks for your help Tomo

Apr 28, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 9
Hi,

I am not sure Polycarbonates are expensive. Where I am, I see a whole lot more of polypropylenes and polyester. MKP and MKT's ... I used to make mistakes between them. (Be real careful, I know a lotta people used to sell MKT's as uber-quality film cap on Ebay few years back.)

As you have noticed, for bypassing, I go for ceramics and electrolytics. I am conservative-type. (Plus added bonus of ceramics being dirt cheap when bought in bulk.) ... Yeah I am poor.

If you can tell us what kinda bypassing you are trying to do, we can help you more.

Ciao, T

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 9
Most manufacturers hav ediscontinued MKC capacitors, because one of the majo manufacturers don't manufacture polycarbonate any longer in quantity and size used for film caps.
MKCs are better than polyester, and has a lot of the sonic qualities compared to polypropylene - and furthermore, the physical dimensions are much smaller for the same capacity compared to polypropylene.

See this for more info: here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back