Erhu
Dec 23, 2008 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

keanej6

500+ Head-Fier
ok so i stumbled on this video today of a woman performing the erhu, and i fell in love with that sound. can anyone recommend me some good music featuring the erhu?

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so i stumbled on this video today of a woman performing the erhu, and i fell in love with that sound. can anyone recommend me some good music featuring the erhu?

"River of Sorrow, Immortal Chinese Instrumentals" - on First Impression Music

"Music for the Motherless Child" - Martin Simpson & Wu Man

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 7
thanks for your response. the first one seems really interesting except i can't find any copies of them. the second one doesn't look like it features the erhu, i may be wrong though?

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 7
Found this passage in the archives of www.technobeat.com

"If you've been pining for an album of erhu music, my unanimous choice is String Glamour by Taiwan-based Wind Records. Mastering the single-string Chinese violin with captive bow is 28-year-old Yu Hong-mei, described on the back cover blurb as "a charming young lady." Ignore that along with the allegation that she adds a "female touch" to the instrument. Beautifully captured live to tape on fussy vacuum tube equipment, String Glamour showcases the quavering nuances of this expressive instrument in rendering nostalgic and sentimental favorites from Taiwan and the Chinese mainland, like "Three Sighs at the Guan Pass" and "Mellow Grape-fullness." Bringing a refreshing staccato to the erhu's sustained plaint is aptly named yang-qin hammered zither player Zhao Yang-qin who dances across the strings in a manner delightfully at odds with mellow grape-fullness and other pensive moods. In the wake of such consistently beautiful music, I'm a killjoy to suggest comparing Yu Hong-mei's delicate interpretation of the Mongolian folk song "Tending My Camels" with the gritty real stuff from that region. But you take your glamour as you find it."

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

thanks for your response. the first one seems really interesting except i can't find any copies of them. the second one doesn't look like it features the erhu, i may be wrong though?

River of Sorrow can be had on either SACD or XRCD and is an excellent recording. Check elusivdisc.com or even Amazon for copies.

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

You're correct about my mistake. Sorry about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
River of Sorrow can be had on either SACD or XRCD and is an excellent recording. Check elusivdisc.com or even Amazon for copies.

"River of Sorrow" on SACD has been long out-of-print. However, it has been released on HDCD, XRCD, and audiophile vinyl. First Impression Music (FIM), the recording's owner, is currently readying a new version of this recording to be released.

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 7
One of today's best renowned master of the instrument is Xu Ke, who has released a bunch of recordings for RCA Japan. I doubt these are easily available in the West.

Probably easier to found is the young player Chen Jun, with several recordings under the Marco Polo label, one of which re-released under Naxos World

The Hong Kong based label Hugo Music was a great source of Chinese Traditional instrumentals. Once upon a time they were carried under Harmonia Mundi, but I don't think it is the case nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back