Ergonomic perfection? Yes, at a price. The Linum "Super Balanced" cable
Jun 4, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #32 of 119
Guys - First post on this thread, but in preparation for the (eventual) delivery of my Geek Wave XD256 Signature CF I was thinking about what balanced cable to get to hook up the 3.5mm TRRS to my K10's. I'm currently using the Noble Ultra-thin and like it's flexibility and light weight. 

Sorensiim's review has me thinking about the Linum Super Balanced, assuming they'd do a 3.5mm TRRS to a 2-pin. 

Any thoughts? 

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #33 of 119
  Guys - First post on this thread, but in preparation for the (eventual) delivery of my Geek Wave XD256 Signature CF I was thinking about what balanced cable to get to hook up the 3.5mm TRRS to my K10's. I'm currently using the Noble Ultra-thin and like it's flexibility and light weight. 

Sorensiim's review has me thinking about the Linum Super Balanced, assuming they'd do a 3.5mm TRRS to a 2-pin. 

Any thoughts? 

Super Balanced BaX is 2.5mm, designed with A&K in mind :wink:  I'm not aware Linum is going to make 3.5mm balanced wired version.  I'm surprised LH guys decided to go with 3.5mm balanced connector, like in GeekOut V2 and upcoming GeekWave (isn't GW due for release toward the end of this year or beginning of next year?).  If you don't want to deal with any connectors/adapters, the only 3.5mm balanced IEMs I'm aware of is made by HiFiMAN, their RE400B and RE600, both 3.5mm balanced wired.  RE600 supposed to be really good and super discounted now, down to under $200.

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #34 of 119
Since I still have my hands on a loaner of Linum Super Balanced BaX cable as well as AK120ii, I try to take an opportunity every time I'm reviewing a new pair of IEMs to test and to compare Linum cables.  Working on review of W60 right now, and I thought to share with you a few of my impressions while testing W60 and AK120ii using BaX, Balanced BaX, and Super Balanced BaX cables.

BaX (baseline): a typical Westone warm, smooth, and detailed signature sound, with a great extension, punchy bass with a nice sub-bass support (bass is a bit elevated in comparison to stock Epic cable), clear and detailed mids that sound very smooth and organic rather than analytically bright, and smooth treble with a bit of roll off.

Balanced BaX: low end becomes a little tighter, with a bit more sub-bass rumble; also upper mids now sound just a touch brighter which gives them a more forward perception.  Soundstage stays the same.

Super BaX: low end is still tight and equally articulate, but sub-bass rumble went down in comparison to Balanced BaX, it actually feels more balanced now without sounding exaggerated (how it was with Balanced BaX and regular BaX).  Mids are a bit more forward and have more clarity (in comparison to BaX and Balanced BaX).  Sound is definitely more balanced in comparison to both BaX and Balanced BaX.

Overall, AK120ii is not the best source for W60 to begin will since it's neutral/warm by nature which doesn't have a good synergy with warm IEMs like W60.  But Super BaX balances it out nicely by opening up a sound, improving dynamics, and also improving retrieval of details without changing a sound sig too drastically - a subtle but noticeable change.  Out of three cables, I definitely prefer Super Balanced, but you have to keep in mind a rather steep introduction pricing which is in a territory of diminishing returns...

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #35 of 119
Just to let you all know, we are now sponsoring this site. Thus, we can hopefully help you guys out here should you have specific questions. Just ask, we will be around. 

Due to the very strong interest in this cable, we are currently looking into the possibilities of mass producing the Super BaX/Balanced. As soon as we have news on the progress of the Super BaX/Balanced we will let you know.

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #36 of 119
  Just to let you all know, we are now sponsoring this site. Thus, we can hopefully help you guys out here should you have specific questions. Just ask, we will be around. 

Due to the very strong interest in this cable, we are currently looking into the possibilities of mass producing the Super BaX/Balanced. As soon as we have news on the progress of the Super BaX/Balanced we will let you know.

Is there any change of commissioning a Super BaX or Super Balanced now instead of waiting for the Wish List to reach 100 signees? I mean accepting the higher cost and all of making it now in Denmark?

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #37 of 119

Hi. Will you make a cable Super BaX cable that works with iPhone? Also I'd appreciate 3 button inline control for Apple products.

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #38 of 119
  Is there any change of commissioning a Super BaX or Super Balanced now instead of waiting for the Wish List to reach 100 signees? I mean accepting the higher cost and all of making it now in Denmark?

Not being able to build to individual orders, this will unfortunately not be possible. Also, in addition to finding out what it takes to mass-produce the Super BaX we are working on some improvements based on the feedback we get from beta-testers. We have only made a limited number of first version prototypes, and only have a few left for internal purposes. Yet, send us a PM with your preferences and we will check if perhaps at least you can borrow one until the Super BaX is ready. That is if borrowing one is acceptable :)./Heidi

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #39 of 119

Not being able to build to individual orders, this will unfortunately not be possible. Also, in addition to finding out what it takes to mass-produce the Super BaX we are working on some improvements based on the feedback we get from beta-testers. We have only made a limited number of first version prototypes, and only have a few left for internal purposes. Yet, send us a PM with your preferences and we will check if perhaps at least you can borrow one until the Super BaX is ready. That is if borrowing one is acceptable :)./Heidi

Hi Heidi, I assume those are aesthetic improvements rather than something affecting sound quality?  I think Super Bax is near perfection.  Maybe it would have been nice to see a regular 3.5mm TRS connector version, as you aware it's still a dominant DAP HO connection.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #40 of 119

Hi Heidi, sign me up for the 100-person Wish List. Looking forward to mass production of the Super BaX

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #41 of 119
Any chance of a 2.5mm L-plug for the super bax ?  That straight plug is the only negative for me on the Bax balanced.  My AK120ii is often in my pocket, and I really need a low-profile, 90° plug . . .  

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #43 of 119

Hi. The Super BaX 3.5 TRS works with iPhone. It is not very likely though that our Linum cables will be equipped with inline control nor microphone.

Thanks for the reply, good to hear we'll have a regular version cable. I just prefer using iPhone for portable music and so don't need or want a balanced cable. That said, it'd be really amazing if we could add iPhone mic and volume up/down buttons as an option. Unlike what many people think iPhone is used by many audiophiles (check the iPhone 6 thread) and is considered to be very neutral and Hi-Fi sounding. It's got more than enough power for portable headphones/IEMs too. I think there's a big market for aftermarket cables with iPhone inline remote. With the upcoming Apple Music service, this market will become bigger. It'd be really great if you guys consider adding an iPhone control option.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #44 of 119

Hi Heidi, I assume those are aesthetic improvements rather than something affecting sound quality?  I think Super Bax is near perfection.  Maybe it would have been nice to see a regular 3.5mm TRS connector version, as you aware it's still a dominant DAP HO connection.

Hi twister6 :). We are happy you like our Super BaX as it is. Indeed it is mainly aesthetic. We will not make any changes that will affect sound quality. The Super BaX prototype was - and probably will be - made with a 3.5 TRS and 2.5 TRRS connector. As with anything else all depends on demand.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #45 of 119
  Any chance of a 2.5mm L-plug for the super bax ?  That straight plug is the only negative for me on the Bax balanced.  My AK120ii is often in my pocket, and I really need a low-profile, 90° plug . . .  

One of the possible improvements we are working on based on feedback is exactly this 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back