Ergonomic perfection? Yes, at a price. The Linum "Super Balanced" cable
Mar 26, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #16 of 119
I will be writing to Linum today. Hopefully they are able to make the super balanced with a T2 connector.
Thanks a lot for sharing this info.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #17 of 119
There are stacks of these balanced Linum cables here in Tokyo. . .    Seriously tempted. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 119
Good read Sorin! I have the BaX for my JVC HA-FX850 and will be a customer for life! They are very comfortable and the sound did change for me too. I was not a beliver either , but when I switched from stock to the Linum there was an absolute change in sound! I have a distributer less than 5 minutes from my work so it is convienant to pick up a set or a few.

Howdy, Howdy~
I just got FX850's and pondering whether the upgraded cable will make an already great set of phones be even better. Sounds like for you the answer was yes.. Could you describe what kind of changes one can expect ? My source is IBasso dx90. Also, which "bax" fits the 850's?

thanks!
Oleg

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #19 of 119
You will need the MMCX cable.Saying the cable alters the sound is a touchy subject for a few, being I have the same combo as you what I can say is you will REALLY enjoy it. Get it, you will like it!

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #20 of 119
Thanks, howdy :)
Sent warnertechcare a quote request. BTW, where did you buy from?
Some people noticed a drop in volume when they switched to Bax. That does not concern me much, but reports that it boosts the bass at the expense of treble do. Can you comment on your impressions re. this? Also, there are reports that a 0.5 ohm "super bax" cable is about to be released. Curious if anyone heard much about that. ETA? costs?

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #21 of 119
I bought it at warnertech I actually live right by there so I just went there. Let me know how much he wants for it, he did not seem so sure of his prices and if he asks how much you have seen them for just say 50.00!

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #22 of 119
Thanks for the advice!
beerchug.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #23 of 119
  Thanks, howdy :)
Sent warnertechcare a quote request. BTW, where did you buy from?
Some people noticed a drop in volume when they switched to Bax. That does not concern me much, but reports that it boosts the bass at the expense of treble do. Can you comment on your impressions re. this? Also, there are reports that a 0.5 ohm "super bax" cable is about to be released. Curious if anyone heard much about that. ETA? costs?

This review (first post in the thread) is about the low-ohm "Super Bax" so those reports are correct 
wink_face.gif

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #25 of 119
Since there has been a very thorough coverage of this new Super Balanced BaX from Linimum, I'm not going into my usual multi-page rambling.  Sorensiim done a great job doing that already
wink.gif

What I wanted to do is to add a few of my closeup shots so you can see comparison between BaX, Balanced Bax, and Super Balanced Bax in more details, and offer a few impressions.

I already reviewed regular BaX, you can read my impressions by following a link in my sig.  Don't want to rehash it, but since I had a recent opportunity to review AK120ii, it gave me a chance to compare a sound using 2.5mm TRRS balanced output of A&K DAP.  When it comes to Linum BaX 3.5mm vs Balanced BaX 2.5mm, to my ears sound signature was nearly the same and the only benefit I heard was in a little bit of soundstage expansion due to balanced wired architecture where in my opinion with a DUAL dac of AK120ii there is a better control of L/R separation.  Of course, this difference could be perceived as very subtle and limited by capabilities of your IEMs as well as your own personal hearing  preference.

Going to Super BaX, where I used A83 and UM Pro 50 for testing, I was pleasantly surprised since I always referred to BaX as a "magic" EQ booster where you have to be careful regarding which headphones you use it with due to low end "slam".  BaX worked great with A83, but was overwhelming with UM Pro 50.  Super Balanced BaX actually tighten the low end, making it more controlled, even a slightly better separation from lower mids, and not as boosted as it was with a regular BaX.

In my opinion, once Linum gets this cable into factory production, instead of a hand made samples they have now (at a rather high price), it will be a great alternative to drive your IEMs from 2.5mm balanced HO of AK and soon to be released FiiO X7.  Plus, as much as I enjoy how thin the original BaX is, I found a thicker braided structure of Super BaX to be more appealing!

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #26 of 119
Since there has been a very thorough coverage of this new Super Balanced BaX from Linimum, I'm not going into my usual multi-page rambling.  Sorensiim done a great job doing that already :wink:

What I wanted to do is to add a few of my closeup shots so you can see comparison between BaX, Balanced Bax, and Super Balanced Bax in more details, and offer a few impressions.

I already reviewed regular BaX, you can read my impressions by following a link in my sig.  Don't want to rehash it, but since I had a recent opportunity to review AK120ii, it gave me a chance to compare a sound using 2.5mm TRRS balanced output of A&K DAP.  When it comes to Linum BaX 3.5mm vs Balanced BaX 2.5mm, to my ears sound signature was nearly the same and the only benefit I heard was in a little bit of soundstage expansion due to balanced wired architecture where in my opinion with a DUAL dac of AK120ii there is a better control of L/R separation.  Of course, this difference could be perceived as very subtle and limited by capabilities of your IEMs as well as your own personal hearing  preference.

Going to Super BaX, where I used A83 and UM Pro 50 for testing, I was pleasantly surprised since I always referred to BaX as a "magic" EQ booster where you have to be careful regarding which headphones you use it with due to low end "slam".  BaX worked great with A83, but was overwhelming with UM Pro 50.  Super Balanced BaX actually tighten the low end, making it more controlled, even a slightly better separation from lower mids, and not as boosted as it was with a regular BaX.

In my opinion, once Linum gets this cable into factory production, instead of a hand made samples they have now (at a rather high price), it will be a great alternative to drive your IEMs from 2.5mm balanced HO of AK and soon to be released FiiO X7.  Plus, as much as I enjoy how thin the original BaX is, I found a thicker braided structure of Super BaX to be more appealing!

Thanks for the pics twister6
Any chance of adding a macro shot of the super balanced next to regular one? After comparing your photos and those of Soren's, am I wrong or are the super balanced whiter, and seem devoid of those tiny blue and red tinted specs the regular Linum cables have (visible strands of copper?)? Anyhow they look nice a la pure silver style.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #27 of 119

Since there has been a very thorough coverage of this new Super Balanced BaX from Linimum, I'm not going into my usual multi-page rambling.  Sorensiim done a great job doing that already
wink.gif

Any chance of adding a macro shot of the super balanced next to regular one? After comparing your photos and those of Soren's, am I wrong or are the super balanced whiter, and seem devoid of those tiny blue and red tinted specs the regular Linum cables have (visible strands of copper?)? Anyhow they look nice a la pure silver style.

Uh, you figured out I was using my phone camera :)  Sorry, my regular camera is broken, planning to get a new one over the weekend.  Will take and post more macro-shots early next week.

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #28 of 119

wink.gif

Borrowed my wife's DSLR camera, and took a few close up shots.  Btw, i really like how in Super Balanced BaX they marked mmcx connector with blue/red ring to id L/R sides.

May 22, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #29 of 119
I will be writing to Linum today. Hopefully they are able to make the super balanced with a T2 connector.
Thanks a lot for sharing this info.

Guy, how did they respond?

I also contacted Estron (Heidi Vesth). I had tons of questions our exchange took about 2 weeks. Anyhow, she told me that the Super BaX's thicker AWG and double wire count made it impossible to work with the T2 connector; and therefore were looking into other solutions (didn't specify, which is normal due to R&D etc.)  I asked that since I was interested in the ACS Encore ciem. I always wanted to have a 6-8wire flat/square braid cable for aesthetics, but I need to watch out the weight since it's for a ciem and not a can. So this ruled out the Encore for me sadly.

I've ordered an Earwerkz Legend Omega last night, and while I still have cold feet issue with my decision; I'm gonna try to convince Heidi to allow a commission for a Super Balanced BaX SPC (Heidi said pure silver wasn't possible at this time) 2pin / 3.5mm TRRS for Sony ZX2, 6 wires if possible, if not then one just like Twister6/Soren, 4 wire.

I hope Estron would accept making one. I've already signed up for the waiting list for the Super BaX 100 limited edition production. She said it was non-binding. Would only contact each person once 100 is reached. I know it's 350euro tax/ship excl due to Denmark labor/workmanship costs. I'm fine with it.

By the way, about the ultra-thin cable Noble Audio offers on their site, the specs from what I gathered from the goolge translated version of this review here makes me wonder who made them? Wagnus jp ?   http://forum.avmania.e15.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1874&t=1231835 
Soren, how do you find them compared to Linum's ? If I recall you had them  http://www.head-fi.org/t/684787/noble-audio-the-wizard-returns/6930#post_11082473
If Estron declines my cable commission request, maybe I can contact that other one.

The Earwerks Legend R has an impedance of 28 ohms @ 1 kHz, with a sentivity of 118 dB @ 1 kHz. The specs of the Omega found at the Music Sanctuary store say, impedance:  25 ohms @ 1kHz, sensitivity: 119 dB @ 1kHz.
From the recurring feedbacks, it seems the Legend picks up hiss quite easily, so I was worried about picking the normal Linum BaX option. Earwerkz also proposes the BTG Starlight cable (<1 ohms if not mistaken) for $115.

Any input's most welcomed.

May 26, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #30 of 119
  By the way, about the ultra-thin cable Noble Audio offers on their site, the specs from what I gathered from the goolge translated version of this review here makes me wonder who made them? Wagnus jp ?   http://forum.avmania.e15.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1874&t=1231835 
Soren, how do you find them compared to Linum's ? If I recall you had them  http://www.head-fi.org/t/684787/noble-audio-the-wizard-returns/6930#post_11082473
If Estron declines my cable commission request, maybe I can contact that other one.

Noble's cables are made by an undisclosed partner, the same guys who makes all their cables. On top of that, they have a relatively new partnership with Wagnus JP. I did indeed try the Noble super thin cable and (surprise!) it felt and looked like a thinner version of their stock cable - which it is. Less durable, but lighter and more flexible. Regular Linum Bax is still the king of ultimate comfort, but I found the Noble cable to impact the sound less. The Super Balanced is still the ultimate combination of SQ and comfort, with the price being the only downside. Let's hope they get that mass production rolling soon!

If you want to try the skinny Noble cable, I'm pretty sure you can order it straight from their web shop or reach out to Brannan and he'll help you out 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back