ER6i's arrived! Insertion problems...
Dec 13, 2007 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
Well my white (Everything I own is black, I felt like a change
biggrin.gif
) ER6i's arrived yesterday.

With the included Tri-Flanges, I can get a pretty good seal going in quite far in my right ear but in my left it doesn't seem to work. It hurts a bit when I try to push it in and it won't go in as far as my right.

It's the same story with the Shure Olives and the included foamies. With my left ear, it hurts when I try to put the ER6i's in but it's fine on my right...

What is wrong with me? Am I some kind of alien species?

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 21
i actually noticed this as well, my left ones weren't going in as well.

someone link him the etymotic iem proper insertion video, i can't find it. it's the over the head pull ear method while you insert it, they go in so much deeper this way.

i use shure foamies on mine, they're better than the flanges imo

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 21
same with me. got used to it after about a week.

seems like my ears have gotten bigger after i got the er6i's...

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 21
I didn't have any luck with the Tri-flanges and settled on the Bi-flanges and have been pretty happy. I get a good seal, but it has taken a few months of practice. My left ear is easy, but the right one gives me some trouble. I have to insert it at a more upward angle than the left and for some reason that seems to do the trick. I have alien ears too, I guess. I'm guessing you'll have to work with them for a while to find what works for you. Ahh, but it's worth it. I love 'em, especially through an amp.

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 21
Same thing here with my im716s. With my right ear and the tri-flanges, the whole tip goes in the ear whilst the largest flange sticks out of my left ear. (using the over-the-head method)

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by McQueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't have any luck with the Tri-flanges and settled on the Bi-flanges and have been pretty happy. I get a good seal, but it has taken a few months of practice. My left ear is easy, but the right one gives me some trouble. I have to insert it at a more upward angle than the left and for some reason that seems to do the trick. I have alien ears too, I guess. I'm guessing you'll have to work with them for a while to find what works for you. Ahh, but it's worth it. I love 'em, especially through an amp.

I think Biflanges would be good. Mine didn't come with biflanges though... Is this normal?

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 21
i had a bitch of a time too at 1st with my ex iM716. the trick to fitting the triflanges is to use the over the head opp. hand, hold the outer earlobe, gently pull the ear out and slightly back, then insert the IEM with the other hand. trick is insert and twist the tri's till u get a airseal (a suctioning effect on the tris) and NOT poke it too deep else u end up with sore ears.

alternatively go get some shure olives (i like the small) which are atad more comfy but gives better bass and not as strident IMO. i use the same technique as above in fittin the olives too.

O and opening the mouth slightly while fitting the tris helps - goodluck

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 21
double post

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Biflanges would be good. Mine didn't come with biflanges though... Is this normal?

That's the old package, only the new package comes with extra tips and such.

You can get the bi-flange from Ety, or try finding a tri. and cut the first flange off.

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottiebabie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had a bitch of a time too at 1st with my ex iM716. the trick to fitting the triflanges is to use the over the head opp. hand, hold the outer earlobe, gently pull the ear out and slightly back, then insert the IEM with the other hand. trick is insert and twist the tri's till u get a airseal (a suctioning effect on the tris) and NOT poke it too deep else u end up with sore ears.

alternatively go get some shure olives (i like the small) which are atad more comfy but gives better bass and not as strident IMO. i use the same technique as above in fittin the olives too.

O and opening the mouth slightly while fitting the tris helps - goodluck

Yeah I do all of that. I find the tri's fine in my right ear, just as comfortable as the shures. Its the left ear that isn't nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the old package, only the new package comes with extra tips and such.

You can get the bi-flange from Ety, or try finding a tri. and cut the first flange off.

How did I end up getting the old package? I bought it brand new...

Oh also, how far are they meant to stick out of my ear? ATM, with the shure black olives, the whole body of the earphone is out of my ear with the foam in. Is there meant to be more in?

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

How did I end up getting the old package? I bought it brand new...

Oh also, how far are they meant to stick out of my ear? ATM, with the shure black olives, the whole body of the earphone is out of my ear with the foam in. Is there meant to be more in?

May be you get a NOS package? Check out Headroom listing as they have the new package on listing. If your pouch is not like the one in the picture, you got the old package (like my 2004 edition).

If you insert in correctly, only the tip (or nozzle part) will go into your ear.

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May be you get a NOS package? Check out Headroom listing as they have the new package on listing. If your pouch is not like the one in the picture, you got the old package (like my 2004 edition).

If you insert in correctly, only the tip (or nozzle part) will go into your ear.

No my package is different to that. It's cardboard.. The pouch is the same though.

The Copyright says 2005...

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

No my package is different to that. It's cardboard.. The pouch is the same though.

The Copyright says 2005...

Guess it is NOS after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back