ER6i vs. ER-4P
Sep 1, 2006 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

xelion

Head-Fier
Can I get some opinions, is the ER-4P a big enough jump in sound quality to warrent the extra cost? I've found a pair of each on the for sale forum, and I just can't decide which I want. I've heard the ER-4P is just great, and a big step up from the ER6i's, but what are your guy's opinions on the subject.

Sep 1, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 7
Personally I prefer the ER-6i.

The ER-4P is a higher-fi piece of gear, but its tonal profile always sounds 'off' to me - I get through a song or two and then I start feeling somewhat uncomfortable; I keep wanting to EQ it, or something like that.

The ER-6i may not have the same objective quality as the ER-4P, but it still sounds pretty terrific, and it never sounds 'wrong' to me from a tonal perspective. It is my unamped portable earphone of choice, by a long shot.

In other words I find the ER-4P's specific type of imperfection more difficult to deal with than the ER-6i's type of imperfection, so I like the ER-6i better. But you could be just the opposite.

Now the ER-4S, that I LOVE. Absolutely outstanding. If you think you might one day spring for the P->S converter, and won't mind having a plain old 4P in the meantime, then by all means spend the extra for the 4P.

Sep 2, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 7
I think it depends on your source. For something on the higher-end or with an amp the ER-4x is probably the better choice, but barefoot out of a portable the ER-6i (with its increased senitivity and enhanced bass response) may well be preferable. In the latter sutuation I don't think you'll get your money's worth out of the upgrade, in fact you may like the results less.

Sep 4, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 7
Yes, I agree that it probably depends on your source.

But as an overall assesement, you are not doing yourself a dis-service going with ER-6i.

ER-4P is definetely better but if you like the detail/Ety sound nothing can touch the ER-6i at it's price point of about $90 now.

Sep 4, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 7
I've had ER4p's for, um, 3 days, 6i's for a few months, I think. The 1st day i got the 4p's i loved them. But i realized yesterday that i can't wear them for too long, the enlarged barrel at the end hurts my ears. May get another pair E4c's.

But they're both much better than 6i's, which need equalization for everything, unless you're listening to a audio book or some unaccompanied voice. Which isn't to say the 6i's are bad, they do mids and trebles pretty neutrally/transparently.

Sep 5, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 7
Just another point.

I think ER-4P build quality is much nicer. The cord is heavier with much less chance of tangling and I do not like the absence of a strain relief on the ER-6i where the cord goes into the housing. The highs on the ER-6i are slightly harsher but certainly not bad. I find the bass to be the same on both. Comfort better on ER-6i but I have no problems with ER-4P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back