ER6I or Similar
Jan 12, 2009 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Joe18

New Head-Fier
I got tired of junk earbuds and asked my dad where to look he said to look on headroom. I liked the review on the ER-6I but was wondering if anybody had any opinions on something in the $150 range that would be better. Maybe something with a stronger low end than the ER-6i, (the review said it was sort of weak). Whatever i get will be used with an ipod for right now and hopefully soon something better. Thanks.

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 21
ER4P >> ER6i
Atrio M5 for great bass in your price range.

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 21
If you're looking for a lot of the clarity from the ER6i but more bass, I'd recommend Klipsch's Custom 3 or Image X10 (X10 has a touch more bass and a warmer sound signature). Other options include the Etymotic HF5 (more bass than the ER6i) and Sleek Audio SA6 (slightly fragile, but a lot of people like it for its customizability and overall clarity and sound signature).

If you're looking to stay in the sub-$100 range, the Shure SCL4 has some more bass than the ER6i and is a fair step up in quality if you're not worried about the color white screaming "Mug me!" for $80 from Guitar Center/Musician's Friend/Music123.

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 21
I've been using a pair of ER6i's for a couple years now. I personally don't think the bass is weak, just more realistic and balanced compared to the pumped up bass on the standard iPOD buds, and some of the other cheap ones I have hanging around.

The ER6i's offer a lot more mid and high range detail, but after I got used to them, I can hear the bass fine.

If you like the bass exaggerated, then you should look at something else. Both Shure and Etymotic have improved models just a step up in price, but the ER6i offers a lot of value.

I haven't tried the other models, so I'm no help there.

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm liking the custom 3's and HF5's, of those two which one?

Personally I dislike the form factor of the Custom 3's and some people have had fitting problems with them. Personally I'd go for the HF5's. However, sound wise, it is difficult to say since neither phone is excessively common yet - chances are more people would like the custom 3's sound but then there's that ety sparkle that some people can't give up for anything.

With the custom 3's now available for such a nice low price ($160 IIRC) I would recommend going for them unless the etys are on sale for $100 again. However, if you can, I'd jump over them both for the klipsch image X10.

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 21
ER6i did offer nice detail, but it seems to lose that detail when i put my TF10 on. Suddenly the ER6i is not that detailed anymore :p Maybe because of my filter, i havent changed it in sometime.

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER6i did offer nice detail, but it seems to lose that detail when i put my TF10 on. Suddenly the ER6i is not that detailed anymore :p Maybe because of my filter, i havent changed it in sometime.

You're also comparing them to phones with 3x as many armatures, 3.5x the size, and 4x the price.

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're also comparing them to phones with 3x as many armatures, 3.5x the size, and 4x the price.

Yeah im just saying if people think ER6i is detailed enough it might not be. I Used to think wow this is amazing. But then TF10.. And hot damn EVEN more detail and clearer. Like i said Filter issue likely.

Get UE Super Fi 3.

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #15 of 21
150 USD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back