ER6i frequency response
Nov 27, 2008 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

member1982

1000+ Head-Fier
Frequency response: 50 Hz to 16 kHz

WoW 50Hz i didnt realise that its not that low. However im still amazed that they sound really good for the treble bit, and alot of nice details nicely presented. Perhaps that 50Hz really hurts it in BASS i suppose. Alot of times if the seal is not right i cant really hear any BASS notes at all.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Frequency response without proper tolerance value is pretty pointless. FR isn't something as simple as two numbers put together. I'll suggest you take a look at this article - it will give you a bit of insight on how to read FR spec and why most of us do not rely on it to tell us how a headphone actually sounds like (because it doesn't).

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 12
1. Most music doesn't go below 50hz anyways.
2. That is to etymotic's measurement within a 3dB tolerance. Most phones advertising 12-28khz throw tolerance out the window.

Also, as you can see, the bass is not rolled off down low at all:
graphCompare.php

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 12
From that articile the author said
A speaker rated as 20Hz - 25kHz +/- 3dB will play lower bass and higher treble sounds than a speaker that measures 40Hz - 20kHz +/- 3dB.

Thats what i sort of perceived, the lower the Hz range the better / deeper the bass.. But we dont really hear that? ALthough its somewhat true that ER6i dont have that Deep bass feel, but i can hear the notes resonsably well

Nov 28, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 12
Take a look at the picture.
Attachment 10797
If we should follow strict +3dB rules, what spec with them be and which actually will be more bassy? They could be quite misleading, right?

Nov 28, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 12
But Er6i dont reponsed to anything 50Hz and below?

Nov 28, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But Er6i dont reponsed to anything 50Hz and below?

No, look at the picture I linked. They sit nearly flat from 20hz all the way to 4500. The 50hz is just with a tight tolerance. They will still play down to 20 and below.

@clieos frequency response doesnt indicate +/-3dB of 0, it just indicates +/-3dB; pick a zone of 6dB that covers the most, thats where your line sits. if you move the base line of the 2nd example to +1.5 db, it works fine. besides, I have yet to see a headphone with a frequency response like that.

frequency response to a 3dB tolerance is +/- 3dB of some specific spot, not necessarily zero for all things at the same setting. their optimum center is set to their "zero"

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #8 of 12
@TacticalPenguin, the graph I made doesn't said 0dB anywhere. Most FRC use a relative (optimum) center, usually somewhere b/w 96db to 100dB. It up up the person who made the measurement to decide what the center should be (according to the cover area). For example, Headroom's FRC you used above is using 96dB SPL, IIRC. In most case, the relative center is the point where most of the FRC is at its flattest (so the FR spec will reflect the flattest FRC as much as possible). This means if the headphone has a flat FRC b/w 100Hz to 6kHz @ 96dB, a +6dB below 100Hz, and +12dB above 6kHz, 96dB will be used to set the relative (optimum) center of measurement. The reason I set the 2nd example is because I am too lazy to draw the whole FRC up to 20kHz, and it is still valid example if the center is set on the flattest part that cover most of the FRC, where I said it is.

Nov 28, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Point taken, now find me a phone with a frequency response that looks like that.

A phone with FRC like that is probably a bit hard to find, but if you have a look at Headroom's SE530 FRC, I think you will agree that a +3dB restriction will result in a disaster ER spec...
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 12
What about ER4P/S

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about ER4P/S

What do you think?

graphCompare.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back