ER6 or ER4P's??? aaarrghh!
Dec 29, 2002 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I've got the cash to finally get some Ety's... and I'm wondering if I really need to drop THAT much money for the 4P's or if the 6's would be more than enough for me. I'll be using them portably, mainly with a Sony MZ-E90 md player, but also with a Panasonic SL-CT790 and a Sony D-25S (no amps).

I want something that will be pretty versatile-- i.e. listening at home, but also taking in the briefcase and/or using at the gym. That's the main reason I'm even considering the ER6's-- since they are less expensive and have less of the microphonic effect, I'd feel more comfortable taking them out of the house, especially to the gym... but then again, I've heard the cord is alot thinner/cheaper, so there's the durability issue. I don't think I'll have a problem with the seal, since I've never had a problem getting a seal w/ stuff like the Shure E2C on stage...

I need your honest advice here... help me head-fi, you're my only hope!!!

appar111

Dec 29, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 5
In the end, only your ears can tell you what's best. My suggestion is to order both from Headroom, try them both, and return the one you don't like as much. You'll only be out about $6 shipping, and you'll have the Ety you want.
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by appar111
Well, I've got the cash to finally get some Ety's... and I'm wondering if I really need to drop THAT much money for the 4P's or if the 6's would be more than enough for me. I'll be using them portably, mainly with a Sony MZ-E90 md player, but also with a Panasonic SL-CT790 and a Sony D-25S (no amps).

I want something that will be pretty versatile-- i.e. listening at home, but also taking in the briefcase and/or using at the gym. That's the main reason I'm even considering the ER6's-- since they are less expensive and have less of the microphonic effect, I'd feel more comfortable taking them out of the house, especially to the gym... but then again, I've heard the cord is alot thinner/cheaper, so there's the durability issue. I don't think I'll have a problem with the seal, since I've never had a problem getting a seal w/ stuff like the Shure E2C on stage...

I need your honest advice here... help me head-fi, you're my only hope!!!

appar111

Well, I have a set of ER6's I would be happy to sell you, since I've upgraded to the ER4P. Of course, this isn't a great sales pitch since I find the ER4P --much-- better than the 6. However, in the same breath, I have to say the ER6 are good, but the ER4 is great, better bass, not as thin, no shrillness, better isolation.

I started out buying the Total Airhead/ER6 from Headroom, and dithered a long time over that or the ER4P without an amp. I think I made the wrong decision and should have started with the ER4P without an amp. It's moot now, since my current setup is META42/ER4P.

I think this comes down to a recommendation to get the ER4P and be done with it. Most folks seem to eventually upgrade to the ER4 anyway, so you might as well bite the bullet and get it over with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back