ER4S vs ER4P
Mar 31, 2005 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

The_Beast

New Head-Fier
In a few weeks, I should have my hands on a porta corda mk II. I currently have the ER4S with a Gmini400 Portable Player. How do these headphones compare to the ER4P with the ER4S amped. Are they about equal on this level? I know I just really want my bass, the high end is already extremely impressive.

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 9
With the Porta Corda MKII, I find that I still get more bass with the ER4P than with the ER4S. But I still prefer using the 4S (or in my case, the 4P with the P-S converter) with an amp though. This is probably the case for most Ety users. I use the 4P unamped for commuting.

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 9
The 'S' is the better of the two amped for sure
etysmile.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 9
I like the 4P in "S mode" via the impedance switch on my SM 3. I never listen to them without an amp anymore (that is, for the 2 days I have had the amp.)

Apr 1, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 9
I agree, the "S"s really are a more articulate, clean and neutral earphone than the "P"s when they're amplified. The highs and lows are much more tight and satisfying. Bass should be impressive with the well-known prerequisites (ie good fit, good recording, good encoding and, of course, good amp). I don't know about the amp you've chosen, but my SR-71 and SM3 make my ER4Ss shine. I use the P to S adapter with the SR-71 and the impedence switch with the SM3. Sound is awesome, and significantly better than the Ps or unamped Ss.

Apr 1, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Nothing to add really, but to say that the S with my sr-71 is the greatest thing in the world...the bass is perfect. I have some Senn 580s at work and I never use them.

I'd say if you're used to the Ety bass with the P than you should be amazed by what the S can do. You are ready.
cool.gif
Bass is a big debate amongst head-fiers I think,...but I'll take the mature bass of the Etys anyday!!
biggrin.gif

I can no longer stand bloaty, humpy, eardrum-pushing-bass going at all times. Only when necessary. Like any ingredient, especially one as powerful and dominant as bass it should be used sparingly. ER-4S has it down.

I remember a long time ago I realized a strange phenom when I had the good sense to turn off the "Bass-Boost" on my portable boom-box thing...I actually noticed more bass. In reality I think it returns the punch of the bass to the proper frequency. That is at the bottom, rather than the mid. My God, everything started to sound better. Treble...mids and yes the bass.

Phh...bass boost...I think about all those silly teens with their rap music rattling their cars on the street. I don't know, but I don't think that's added for the music. More like some urban mating ritual...like a peacock and it's feathers, or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back