ER4s vs ER4p w/s adapter ?
Apr 22, 2004 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
Sorry, the search engine is still down and I haven't seen this actually discussed in a while.

Has anyone heard both the ER4s and the ER4p with the s adapter? I'm curious if there is any difference between the two.

Apr 22, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 10
I asked this before deciding on 4S over 4P w/ S. EVERYONE said they both sound exactly the same but I also read really old post by Etymotic guy in head-fi that wires on the E4s are standard copper. He sounded skeptical about cable quality improving the sound. And most people here agree that less cable length the better so I bought the 4S.

Apr 22, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gort
I asked this before deciding on 4S over 4P w/ S. EVERYONE said they both sound exactly the same but I also read really old post by Etymotic guy in head-fi that wires on the E4s are standard copper. He sounded skeptical about cable quality improving the sound. And most people here agree that less cable length the better so I bought the 4S.

The difference in the sound is supposed to be because the p to s cable changes the impedence of the p to equal the s.

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 10
I think a few head-fiers have reported that there is no audible difference between the 4s and the 4p + adapter.

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 10
I have the P with the S adapter and I had a chance to hear the actually ER-4S. I couldn't hear any difference. So get the P with the adapter if you want to have the option. Get the S if you don't need it for a portable and want to save $50. The S works straight out of an Ipod but I sometimes prefer the P anyway. I also have an old Sony pcp that doesn't have enough power for the S.

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 10
I only have the 4s' but it's no problem with my Rio Karma, it does need the volume at the upper end of the range but it still goes louder than I can bear and I'm a certified ear blaster! Now that I've finally trained my ears to accept the foamies, the bass is very good indeed with no need for EQ and the treble is nicely smooth without a hint of harshness or sibilence. I don't really see any need for the 'p' unless your portable is pretty feeble in the amp department.

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 10
There are perceived differences between the P and S. I find that the S provides less harsh tops (more defined) and more defined bass than the P. And it does that in general with just about every headphone I own. I have experimented by playing music without the adapter and then with the adapter with the volume crancked up. The only headphone I do not use the P to S adapter with is my Shure E2 because it causes more roll off of the highs and wimps out the bass.

I much prefer the ER4S than the ER4P.

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gort

The adapter consists of 75 ohm resistors for the left and right earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back