ER4S, comfort
Jun 2, 2002 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pdc

New Head-Fier
I just got my ER-4S yesterday. I find that they are a little uncomfortable. Are the foam earpieces more comfortable. How long does it take to get use to the feel of the tips in your ears?

The sound is very good, but I can hear the cord when I move. Any suggestions for that?

Jun 2, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by pdc

The sound is very good, but I can hear the cord when I move. Any suggestions for that?

Don't move.
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as the silicone tip comfort, if you keep wearing one pair for awhile it will get a lot softer and will become comfortable. It just takes awhile. If you have a good seal after having them for only one day then you're already way ahead of the curve, so you should be fine.

Jun 2, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 6
I read that the sound is better with the rubbers, and you won't have to buy more very soon if you take good care of them. I have always used the rubber tips with my Etys. I only tried the foamies for about an hour when I first got them, so I couldn't even tell you how the sound was. To me, the foamies weren't particularly comfortable and I kept having the sensation that they were about to fall out. I went back to the rubbers and haven't used the foamies since.

I found that wearing the rubbers continuously for a long time (~5 hours) really helped my ears get used to them. Of course, I really wanted to wear them because I was trying to write a paper in a noisy environment and classical+Etys helped me in a big way.

As far as the cord noise, that's just the way they are. I think you might be able to buy a non-microphonic cord, but I've never looked into it very hard--I'm pretty much stationary when I listen to mine--so I could be wrong.

I say, wear them for a long time with the rubbers. If they still aren't comfortable in a week or two, try the foamies.

Jun 2, 2002 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 6
I have had my ety4s some 5 weeks
I love them , the foamies dont sound as good as the plastic tips
After 5 weeks its all plastic tips. Ive learned how to get the correct seal and the sound is great. Foamies dont for give as much exclusion of outside sounds.
Im looking at custom earmolds $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jun 2, 2002 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 6
I loop the cord to each ear over and behind the ear. This eliminates most of the cord noise. With this method the most annoying sound is the internal thud of my feet hitting the ground.

Walt

Jun 2, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 6
...the "loop over the ears (front to back)" trick works wonders. It also alleviates the downward pull on your outer canal and was the trick that made Etys go from mostly intolerable to mostly tolerable for me.

It's a great trick.

Best,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back