ER4S and 3rd Gen iPod Touch. Which Portable Amp?
Nov 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ibis99

100+ Head-Fier
Let say $500 limit. Suggestions please.

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 21
None! Save it for music/another type of HP.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None! Save it for music/another type of HP.

ER4s is a little tough to drive out of the iPod. Are you against portable amps all together. Seems like that's an issue of late.

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 21
I dont have the ER4S, but I can drive every pair of fullsize cans in my sig (except the K601, but that needs a desktop amp anyway) from the Classic using the T3, and its tiny. Whether you will get *everything* your ER4S are capable of is a question I cant answer - eagerly awaiting HPA's verdict on a couple of portables, and Skylab will probably have reviewed the T3 by January.

Nov 22, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 21
If you can spend $500 on a portable amp, get the RSA Shadow and a decent LOD for the the Touch and call it a day.

Nov 22, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can spend $500 on a portable amp, get the RSA Shadow and a decent LOD for the the Touch and call it a day.

I was also thinking of the Shadow. I had a P-51 and loved it but oddly it was too small.

I'll probably go with the Predator.

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was also thinking of the Shadow. I had a P-51 and loved it but oddly it was too small.

eek.gif

edit: i'm getting a Shadow

Nov 23, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the Shadow smaller than the P-51?

Sure is Shigzeo. It gets to a point where they don't fit well with an iPod thus making them more difficult to mate well.

Nov 23, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 21
I had the Supermicro IV several years ago which was tiny - too tiny for most Line Out Docks. Qusp makes a really nice tiny dock and line out for small amps which I will be looking at soon. That one works with the Micro, but it harder to use with larger amps.

Nov 23, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll probably go with the Predator.

Wow, I never thought of any amp to be too small as long as it had easy access to the volume control and on/off.

I have the Shadow with the new Nano and a really small LOD. I like the compactness and portability (not to mention the Shadow is an awesome amp).

I also have some iBasso amps. I like them because of the flexibility to roll opamps for different types of synergy with different types of headphones.

I have experienced the Predator and remember it had great clear transparency. You can't go wrong with RSA.
Good luck.

Nov 23, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I never thought of any amp to be too small as long as it had easy access to the volume control and on/off.

I have the Shadow with the new Nano and a really small LOD. I like the compactness and portability (not to mention the Shadow is an awesome amp).

I also have some iBasso amps. I like them because of the flexibility to roll opamps for different types of synergy with different types of headphones.

I have experienced the Predator and remember it had great clear transparency. You can't go wrong with RSA.
Good luck.

What about the PICO amp has anyone thought about mentioning them to our dear friend here.

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #15 of 21
Get the shadow with a cable pro low profile lod and you will be in headphone heaven, I am also thinking of buying a pair of ER-4s to go with my set up, since the shadow was made mainly to go with IEMs. Has anyone heard this combination?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back