ER4Ps are awesome! (mostly pointless thread awaits with mini-review and also a question)
Apr 28, 2009 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

RedSky0

1000+ Head-Fier
Just got them, listening through rockboxed iPod 5.5G -> Mini^3 (5 Gain).

I hear everything people say they liked about them and none of the downsides.

Incredible detail, drumming is taut and accurate, bass lines in metal are easily heard distinctly. Listening to say string or flamenco passages they again sound amazingly crisp. Both bass and treble extension is great.

As for the supposed downsides. Yes bass with no EQ is not weighty, but adjusting the 20-40Hz frequencies on my rockboxed iPod 5.5G up and the problem is completely remedied making it punchy but not remotely boomy. I can imagine someone expecting delayed bass with more dominance over the sound spectrum not liking it as much, but that would not be me. Don't hear any sibilance and it sounds maybe marginally bright. In fact it definitely fares better here than the iM716s which were somewhat piercing in the higher frequencies and had to be EQed down, something that doesn't need to be done with the ER4Ps.

About the only downside is the soundstage is of course limited given it being an IEM, although from memory it's somewhat wider than the iM716s.

I would do a closer comparison to the iM716 in case anyone is interested (doubtful as they're out of production afaik), but I managed to tear the the cable clean out of the plug just a couple of days before I got them, although I might reterminate it sometime for an A/B comparison ...

Anyway, supremely happy with the definite keeper
icon10.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 14
Thought I might also ask which tips most use with them? I'm using medium shure olives right now but I've just run out. I could reorder them or perhaps the complies, or the gliders. Would I be right to gather the complies are the most comfortable and durable? Or is there something I'm overlooking? No flanges though please.

Apr 28, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 14
Dont go with the gliders, they make the treble shrill and wirds out the midrange although they are comfortable and has a much biggersoundstage and imaging. All this due to them extending further over the end of the soundtube. I use medium black olives with a 3-4 mm spacer cut from a trippleflange put on the stem before the black olive and get all the benefits of the glider without any of the adverse effects. I have started a thread on this mod you can search and there is a much larger thread describing essentially the same mod but based on the SE530

Apr 28, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks, I was on my iPhone so not so easy to search and impossible to paste

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I was on my iPhone so not so easy to search and impossible to paste

not for long
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 14
I always imagined that the ER4 series would be kind of like a IEM version of the K701, in which case I would like to give it a try sometime (since I do enjoy K701 analytic sound a lot).
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not for long
biggrin.gif

No indeed, hopefully late summer

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always imagined that the ER4 series would be kind of like a IEM version of the K701, in which case I would like to give it a try sometime (since I do enjoy K701 analytic sound a lot).
smily_headphones1.gif

I LOVE the ER4 but find the K701 to be boring in the extreme to listen to although it does probably have the biggest soundstage of any headphone I have listened to and certainly a fair bit bigger than even my balanced ER4 with the above mentioned tip mod.

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 14
er4 is a phenominal piece of equipment. Why oh why can Ety not introduce an easy to insert over the ear type model ala PFE's? That shirt clip is such a hassle, but it's completely necessary. Still, I wish I still had my etys
frown.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 14
Soundstage mod is definitely totally awesome and immensely simple. Biflanges, not so much, it relieves some of the discomfort but the olives just generally sound better.

Okay so gilders are out but out of the olives and complies which would you recommend? They look like they'd sound the same but I'm anal about these kind of meaningless details:p

May 1, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

I LOVE the ER4 but find the K701 to be boring in the extreme to listen to although it does probably have the biggest soundstage of any headphone I have listened to and certainly a fair bit bigger than even my balanced ER4 with the above mentioned tip mod.

Yes in contrast the K701 is boring compared to the ER-4S. In fact I do not find the K701 supposedly BIG soundstage to be impressive at all, I was so dissapointed with the K701 that I sold it off with so low a price tag a couple of months ago. The STAX SR-001 MK2 offers way bigger soundstage

May 2, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Dont go with the gliders, they make the treble shrill and wirds out the midrange although they are comfortable and has a much biggersoundstage and imaging. All this due to them extending further over the end of the soundtube. I use medium black olives with a 3-4 mm spacer cut from a trippleflange put on the stem before the black olive and get all the benefits of the glider without any of the adverse effects. I have started a thread on this mod you can search and there is a much larger thread describing essentially the same mod but based on the SE530

I use the gliders, I feel they isolate, seal and are the most comfortable. I don't notice the treble shrill at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back