ER4P worth it?
May 18, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #16 of 74
ok i am starting to like them. but on SOME songs the bass seems a bit weak.
im not huge into bass. i listen to my cds through my denon on pure direct so that is close to how it was recorded. and i can tell that there should be a bit more bass. thanks for the replies

May 18, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #18 of 74
Time/line-out dock/'n an amp... Soon you'll never be able to look at your iBuds again
smily_headphones1.gif

welcome to the curse of head-fi

May 18, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #19 of 74
I went from the buds that came with my ZVM to some Sony EX71s to a pair of Senn CX300...then I found this site and purchased my ER4P. Each time I changed I could here an improvement, but it wasn't WOW. Fast forward a week of listening to my ER4P directly from my ZVM (no amp) then returning to my CX300 and WOW what a difference....no comparison. Then I amped them
etysmile.gif
I can never go back to anything less.

Hang in there, I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

May 18, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #20 of 74
ive bought the ety er4p twice! i really tried to like them. the first time i kept comparing to grado sr 125 and didnt really like the constricted soundstage of ety. the second time i did some travelling with them and gained some appreciation for the way they isolate. i had to play with the seal alot to get just the right sound with the triple flanges. finally i used the foamies and the sound was much better, more open and the bass was pretty good. but in the end i just didnt find them good enough to keep. i returned to wal-mart 1 day before the 90 day return policy expired. i then got some ety er6s and have been really satisfied. maybe not quite as musical as er4p, but more comfortable, less microphonic, and very detailed sound. i feel like i really got my moneys worth with the er6 but just couldn't justify er4p. to the op, keep experimenting with the fit, the sound is most affected by the seal of the earpiece.

May 18, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #22 of 74
If you're not hearing enough bass, you might not have them in far enough. they should be so far in that nothing hangs out of your ears but the cord. I mean scary far in. I've recommended ER4Ps to people who couldn't do it and returned them.

GAD

May 18, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #24 of 74
I have the opposite story. I have ER6s and Grado SR-80s, and when I got the ER4Ps I didn't really like them that much. Then I got an amp and a good ALO line-out connector, and now I can't listen to the ER6s and SR-80s, not even through the amp. I also burned in the ER4s, but I don't actually have an accurate take on how much that did.

So now I'm trying to figure out what I want to replace the Grados with, unfortunately.

May 18, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #25 of 74
holy crap that far in! ok ill try it i was wondering why they stuck out so far.

i got the er4p cause i want the music to be pure i have a bower and wilkens set of loud speakers and a denon reciever and dvd player and wanted the best sound i could afford for my ipod.

thanks again guys

May 18, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #26 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDFiend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just got my er4ps today and was listening to them through my 80gb ipod and then through my denon reciever and was comparing them to my ipod ear buds and i think they sound pretty similar. the only difference is the isolation and maybe some more crisp treble. i also noticed that i had to crank the volume up for them to sound ok to me. so help me feel better about this purchase. are they really that great? i havent tested them a whole lot just listened to the day i tried to live by soundgarden real quick. im not sure if spending that much was worth it. what do you think?

clearly this hobby is not for u

edit: before u give up, get a foamie, compress it in your fingers then stick it as far in ur ears as u can, then wait for it to expand and give u a tight tight seal. then listen again. if u still don't think it's better than ibuds, then give up. if u think it is, give up anyway because ety's are really demanding on your other equipment and also ur wallet.

May 18, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #27 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're not hearing enough bass, you might not have them in far enough. they should be so far in that nothing hangs out of your ears but the cord. I mean scary far in. I've recommended ER4Ps to people who couldn't do it and returned them.

GAD

I don't recommend this at all. the only thing needed is an acoustic seal so the armature will function correctly. Put simply, stick them in until they're stuck. Make sure to compress the foamies all the way (roll them btwn your fingers until they're as small as they get) then put the entire plug in your ear, but not the actual body of the IEM. There's a reason why the ety smily
etysmile.gif
has red and blue showing -- because that's far enough.

If you still don't hear a difference, then you don't hear it. You shouldn't have to make yourself hear it. Your Denon (even on pure direct) affects the sound somewhat, as does your source and your speakers. The definitive word on "what the music actually sounds like" is what the music sounded like when it was mastered in the studio it was mastered in. It's pointless to try and make everything sound exactly right, so it makes sense to just have it sound good.

May 18, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #28 of 74
I had a similar problem I have a Harman Kardon and Paradigm setup but my Shure E4c have yet to disappoint me. I'm adding a 2 channel Sonus Faber Cremona auditor Mark Levinson system to my house.

Which means you probably wouldn't like them LOL

May 18, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #29 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't recommend this at all. the only thing needed is an acoustic seal so the armature will function correctly. Put simply, stick them in until they're stuck. Make sure to compress the foamies all the way (roll them btwn your fingers until they're as small as they get) then put the entire plug in your ear, but not the actual body of the IEM. There's a reason why the ety smily
etysmile.gif
has red and blue showing -- because that's far enough.

If you still don't hear a difference, then you don't hear it. You shouldn't have to make yourself hear it. Your Denon (even on pure direct) affects the sound somewhat, as does your source and your speakers. The definitive word on "what the music actually sounds like" is what the music sounded like when it was mastered in the studio it was mastered in. It's pointless to try and make everything sound exactly right, so it makes sense to just have it sound good.

Word. Also you can mod the tri-flanges to fit your ears. For example I have small ear canals so I have to cut off the largest flange for them to work, some people cut the smallest one off just depends on your ears.

May 18, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #30 of 74
bellsprout
what did you mean that they are really demanding on your other equipment?

i have been listening to them for a while now and they sound good dont get me wrong.

sherwood
your right about that.

i wont give up on them. maybe ill get an amp when i have the money.
also do you all think i should sell my vibes or keep them for fun?

oh and apnk i never thought of that interesting idea about the flanges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back