ER4P worth it?
May 17, 2007 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

TDFiend

Head-Fier
i just got my er4ps today and was listening to them through my 80gb ipod and then through my denon reciever and was comparing them to my ipod ear buds and i think they sound pretty similar. the only difference is the isolation and maybe some more crisp treble. i also noticed that i had to crank the volume up for them to sound ok to me. so help me feel better about this purchase. are they really that great? i havent tested them a whole lot just listened to the day i tried to live by soundgarden real quick. im not sure if spending that much was worth it. what do you think?

May 17, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 74
No difference in soundstage... bass? I highly recommend you to stay away from this hobby
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 74
so you think the bass is better with the er4p then? i havent really had alot of time listening to them but i do know i cant stand the hiss from my ipod. the ipod ear buds dont really have the hiss problem. I would like to get the hang of the ipod. cause at home i love listening to my B&Ws with the denons. what should i do get an amp for the er4ps then? just to be clear im still confused on whether the amp will fix the hiss problem.

May 17, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 74
Hearing for differences is a learned thing imo. My sister can not tell the difference between her Senn HD202 and my DT990, the HD202 is like swimming in mud BTW. LIsten to them for 2 weeks straight then try and go back to the ibuds.

May 17, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 74
When I had my E500s the only thing I noticed were the bass and less excited mids compared to my A8, but then I noticed smaller things like soundstage and detail in about 3 days.

But from iBuds to ER4P... that's a big jump.

May 17, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 74
An amp will definitely eliminate the hiss, if for no other reason than utilizing the iPod dock as a line out over the atrociously noisy headphone jack. Any cheap amp should do the trick.

[EDIT] For the record, many folks use an amp with the Shuffle (which has no lineout capability) to eliminate as much hiss as possible, so it's not necessarily just due to the lineout.

May 17, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 74
thanks for clearing that up for me about the amp and the hiss. i will continue to listen to them and then compare. whats the ipod dock line out all about?

ps i had the ipod ear buds then i got the v moda vibes and wasnt happy with the treble when listening to the symbols and horns in some music. and today got the er4ps they sound pretty crisp and clear. i just noticed that they dont sound "full" at low volume. like my B&Ws they sound great at low volume. i listen to some ambient music and that hiss was ticking me off.

May 17, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDFiend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats the ipod dock line out all about?

The line out dock (LOD) is for bypassing the iPods internal headphone amp and is needed for proper use of a portable amp.

The LOD connects at the bottom of the iPod where your USB cable goes. They start out around $35~$50.

May 17, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #13 of 74
The ER4S is designed for use with an amp. The ER4P is for use without an amp (but can be used with an amp). That's why you need to turn the ipod way up.

You need either ER4Ps, or an amp (or both!).
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

May 18, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #15 of 74
yes, they are -- get a portable amplifier and P -> S adapter and give it time.

/thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back