ER4P versus HF2/5
Sep 11, 2009 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
Thinking of picking up some HF5. Based on what I have read would these statements be accurate?

- If going un-amped, HF2/5 is clearly the better option due to price, sound and SQ tradeoff.

- Same drivers as ER4P but to some, HF may have a bit more punch/bass. Possibly due to better fit/ergonomics and lower 16 ohm impedance? (I know HF drivers are unmatched but not sure why some report a pinch more bass).

- HF has slightly less sparkle on top which may actually be appealing to many that think Etys are a bit too bright. A bit of warmth would never hurt an Ety IMHO.

Thanks.

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 26
One more thing....I want to be certain that in no way is HF2/5 any harsher or unrefined sounding than ER4P. If anything I get the impression it is almost a hair warmer/smoother sounding?

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 26
I would say based on my use of the HF2 with an iPhone that your statements are correct. I do find the general same sound signature but with maybe a little more bass and slightly less sparkle in the highs. The ergonomics are better with less antenna look sticking out from the ears, less microphonics and no annoying resistor pod on the cable.

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 26
Is it odd that ER4P is 27 ohms and HF2/5 is 16 ohms yet ER4P has higher sensitivity (by a few dB)?

I have decided to order some HF5's after demo'ing them at Ety headquarters yesterday. Very nice....

This IEM must me taking away sales from ER4P bigtime I would have to think? What is the purpose of ER4P anymore? I mean, if you want to amplify aren't you going to go with ER4S anyway?

Also, as a sidenote, Ety personnel also told me a multi-driver IEM is nowhere on the radar. Ownership does not believe in them.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 26
Never heard ER4P. However, in less than a year, I've had the sound tubes crumble on two HF5s, my original and their replacement. I like the sound: I'm wearing them now, having used a bit of teflon sealing tape to hold the rmainder of the sound tube together. Haven't heard of anybody else with this issue. It may be the way I treat them, so take it with a grain of salt.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaw2ek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never heard ER4P. However, in less than a year, I've had the sound tubes crumble on two HF5s, my original and their replacement. I like the sound: I'm wearing them now, having used a bit of teflon sealing tape to hold the rmainder of the sound tube together. Haven't heard of anybody else with this issue. It may be the way I treat them, so take it with a grain of salt.

Crumble??? Aren't they made of aluminum? Would seem nearly impossible unless you ran them through a grinder.

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 26
No they are made of plastic and at least with the ER4 line cracked sound tubes is probably the single most comon defect and is well documented on this site. It has personally happened to me twice over 7-8 years plus on a pair I sold to Antonyfirst very shortly after he received them. Both times well out of warranty but Etymotics still replaced them for just the cost of postage.

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No they are made of plastic and at least with the ER4 line cracked sound tubes is probably the single most comon defect and is well documented on this site. It has personally happened to me twice over 7-8 years plus on a pair I sold to Antonyfirst very shortly after he received them. Both times well out of warranty but Etymotics still replaced them for just the cost of postage.

I miss the ER4s blue/red color scheme of old.

Nc8000 do you still regard the Ety ER4s as one of the best?

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 26
I do but I have not heard any of the new generation universal iems so my reference base is getting outdated

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 26
"Also, as a sidenote, Ety personnel also told me a multi-driver IEM is nowhere on the radar. Ownership does not believe in them. "

Thats interesting. Sales must be strong.

I miss my ER4s and was thinking of getting a new pair. So hard to make a decision these days.

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 26
Yea, I could just tell they are all about accuracy and not necessarily a "fun and exciting" sound. I guess they believe the accuracy will take care of the fun and exciting....and that multi-drivers mess up the accuracy. It's just the way they think. I should have brought my UM3X's and asked what they thought of the sound, being as it is pretty neutral and relatively flat. They are very nice people. Gave me some tips for the heck of it. Thanked me for stopping by.

Still, nothing sounds as clean as Etys.

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it odd that ER4P is 27 ohms and HF2/5 is 16 ohms yet ER4P has higher sensitivity (by a few dB)?

I have decided to order some HF5's after demo'ing them at Ety headquarters yesterday. Very nice....

This IEM must me taking away sales from ER4P bigtime I would have to think? What is the purpose of ER4P anymore? I mean, if you want to amplify aren't you going to go with ER4S anyway?

Also, as a sidenote, Ety personnel also told me a multi-driver IEM is nowhere on the radar. Ownership does not believe in them.

The ER-4P can be found for usually about 50% more than the HF2 is sold for, and considering the matched drivers, carry case, superior cabling, and assortment of tips, the premium is worth it to many.

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 26
What do you consider superior by the ER4 cable ?

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 26
Headphone.com has ER4p for $181.99 + free shipping. If your lookin for Ety's I strongly suggest these.

Sep 29, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, I could just tell they are all about accuracy and not necessarily a "fun and exciting" sound. I guess they believe the accuracy will take care of the fun and exciting....and that multi-drivers mess up the accuracy. It's just the way they think. I should have brought my UM3X's and asked what they thought of the sound, being as it is pretty neutral and relatively flat. They are very nice people. Gave me some tips for the heck of it. Thanked me for stopping by.

Still, nothing sounds as clean as Etys.

Hi Spyro,

since the price difference between the UM3x ans ER4s is about $200 would you consider the ER4s close enough to the UM and save $200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back