ER4P tri-flange problem
Jun 3, 2004 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hunter_Killer

100+ Head-Fier
A few days ago the tri flange rubber tip thats been there since I first got the ER4P 6 months ago was thrown away since it was old, discoloured and couldnt seal properly. However after I put those new ones one its EVEN WORSE! Whats going on? I thought. I couldnt get a complete seal no matter what(I got a perfect seal within minutes of getting the ER4P and hadnt had any trouble till now) and I can hear women's chatter on buses now, which was a near impossibility. When I pull the phones out of my ears there is no equalisation to speak off.

I really doubt its my technique since I had it 100% before. Im beginning to suspect two possibilities:

My ear canals are stretched out(not very likely), or
These new flanges were squished out of shape while stored inside the Etymotics box. The slots for each flange is too small and as a result they seem a little small and flattened. This is seriously pissing me off I need advise
frown.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter_Killer
A few days ago the tri flange rubber tip thats been there since I first got the ER4P 6 months ago was thrown away since it was old, discoloured and couldnt seal properly.

I lately discovered that our ultrasonic cleaning machine combined with a few healthy drops of alcohol-based desinfectant in the water does a teriffic job on getting rid of the discolouring. Should also work without the ultrasonics. My flanges look pretty much like new now, are squeaky clean, and seal perfectly.
Give the cleaning a try (be sure to let them dry!) and do not store them in the slots if you feel they get squished. Bus chatter is unbearable, I know your pain (iPod ran out of juice one day - the horror!).

Jun 3, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 8
I am on my third set of tri flanges and I know what you mean! Don't laugh but I believe they need breaking in
rolleyes.gif
. The moisture/wax from the ears tends to soften the material quite quickly and the "quick seal" is achieved once again after say a week. The other thing I found was that they were uncomfortable unti the "break in" period was over.

Jun 3, 2004 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 8
A little syliva always gave me a perfect seal with mine if needed.
etysmile.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter_Killer
This is seriously pissing me off I need advise
frown.gif

Just wanted you to know I am experiencing a similar problem with my new tri-flanges and my e3c's. So you're not alone. I don't remember needing a "break-in period" with the first pair, but I'll be patient.

Jun 3, 2004 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the replies guys n gals. Hope that joni is right that I have to break in these flanges.

Oliver, the battery on your ipod is like an oxygen tank while diving. When it runs out, you die !
eek.gif
icon10.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 8
i've reacahed the conclusion that the biggest flange is just too big, and makes the ety's want to go outside.
if this is logical for you, you can try to cut it to the diameter of the middle flange, or a bit bigger, as a start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back