ER4P or super.fi 5 pro?
May 31, 2005 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

KidA

100+ Head-Fier
Title says it all. I'd like to get one or the other to be used (unamped) straight out of an Ipod or portable cd player.
Any recommendations on which would be more bang for buck?

May 31, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 13
I think this is the question that is on everyones mind right now and I am not aware of any one person on head-fi that has heard both.
frown.gif

May 31, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 13
Heh, the question on my mind is more Shure e4c's or super.fi 5 Pro's?

May 31, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero

Oops... I must have misread the title... that is what I am waiting for as well.
tongue.gif

May 31, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 13
Yes... I know... I thought it was 'E4c or super.fi 5 pro?'.
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 13
I thought the ER4-p was fine if you don't need much bass. Not thin and tinny, just missing bass where it ought to be. Maybe missing from 100hz on down - but I did not measure it. Just a guess - as my speakers go down to 70hz and they sound pretty good in the bass department.

The super-fi I heard was much better. I thought it was fine in the treble department - though my etys went back about two weeks before hearing the superfis. Also, the superFis I heard were beta versions. But, I think they could only be better now that they are "out" in a few stores.

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 13
I just read another thread of new SuperFi5Pro owners

A number of them say the super-Fi 5s have less detail than the ety 4s. Probably so. I thought the superFis were much better due to bass. Ety detail didn't really impress me that much.

I did not compare them side by side, though, like some people are now doing or will shortly do.

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 13
I wouldn't say that the ER-4P is missing anything under 70 Hz. Their bass isn't very strong by any means, but if you get a good seal with them, there definitely is bass. Whether or not it's enough bass for you, that's another question. However, getting a good seal isn't easy.

What annoys be about the ER-4P is the overly sparkly, jacked-up lower treble. If it wasn't for that, I'd still be using them. Their detail and imaging is second to none, and while they aren't very full, they're very clear and resolving. Definitely great to listen to with certain kinds of music.

I haven't heard the Super.fi Pro (what a stupid name), or the E4c for that matter, so I can't make any recommendations there. As always, I suggest that you a) listen to them yourself if you can before you buy and b) wait until there are some good reviews and comparisons of the new Shure and UE canalphones before jumping in on the bandwagon, unless of course you need them ASAP.

Jun 1, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 13
I get great bass with my ER-6 with Foobar2000 EQ + Patchmix DSP 1 band shelf
EQ on my E-MU 1212m. If I use too much EQ in either software, and none in the other, then I get distortion. But the configuration I have right now is
basshead.gif
without being flabby at all. Well, maybe a LITTLE flabby sounding, but that's probably due to the cheapness of the ER-6 (compared to the ER-4P). Much better than no bass though.

Jun 1, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #11 of 13
I'll be getting my Super.fi Pros day after tomorrow. I just did a bunch of listening to IEMs though, and I felt that the ER4P was a tad bass shy and did have a bit of haze in the lower treble. I felt that the ER4 was punchy but basically missing the highest octave. I'd say they are both pretty good headphones with the ER4P better for acoustic music and the E4 better for a punchy fun time with more popular music.

I'll add that I've decided I hate Ety 3-flange tips and that the small round gray Shure tips are the way to go with Etymotics for me.

I'll try to remember to post my Super.fi impressions here.

Jun 1, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero

Now that i've been reading up on IEMs, i'm definately interested in this question as well. The shure's look more comfortable than the ety's, and i'm not a huge of fan of the ety's looks.

Impressions of the e4s in comparison to the ER4P and the super.fi pro would be very much appreciated

Jun 1, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #13 of 13
So far, it seems that the Super.Fi Pros will definitely have the E4c beat in the bass department (as far as quantity, anyway). We also know that the E4c has better treble than previous offerings from Shure, but whether it is better than that of the Super.Fi Pro remains to be seen. Judging by impressions of the SFP that have already been posted, treble/detail do not seem to be their strongpoint so I'd venture to guess that the E4c's treble will be better. This is just a GUESS though, and I eagerly await further impressions of the Super.Fi products after the owners have been able to burn them in. Most of the recent impressions of them were posted after only a few minutes or hours of listening time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back