ER4-P to 'S' cable adapter
Feb 26, 2007 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

barshnik

Head-Fier
I like my 4P's (wish they has just a bit more bass impact). Can someone explain to me how and why the SQ is affected just by adding an impedence raising adapter cable like the 'p' to 's' adapter that Ety offers?

I do have the RSA Hornet and LOD available if needed with the 's' adapter. In other words, how and why is the 4P with the 's' adapter better than just the 4P alone - with or without the amp?

Thanks,

John F

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by barshnik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my 4P's (wish they has just a bit more bass impact). Can someone explain to me how and why the SQ is affected just by adding an impedence raising adapter cable like the 'p' to 's' adapter that Ety offers?

I do have the RSA Hornet and LOD available if needed with the 's' adapter. In other words, how and why is the 4P with the 's' adapter better than just the 4P alone - with or without the amp?

Thanks,

John F

using diy p->s adapter it lowers a serious level of gunk from the sound (using the rsa amp in my signature)--it has the same sound signature, but some of the bloated mid bass and upper bass of the er4p come in better focus with the s cable. with your sra amp you'll notice the improvement right away.

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 11
It's explained even further if you scroll down a bit to the thread asking about headphones with "Detailed and Accurate Sound". I also have an RSA amp & LOD and I prefer my Ety ER4P's without the adaptor
etysmile.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 11
and i of course managed to lose my adapter after only using it a few times. tiny little bugger. i just can't bring myself to drop the $40 to buy another. i have no idea where it is, and i've probably spent way more time than I should have looking for it.
frown.gif

hmm, guess i should update the sig

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 11
Is this similar to the IM716 bass/hifi switch? IIRC all the switch does is add a bit of impedance to make what would be a rather bassy earphone into a Etyesque analytical phone.

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconroy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and i of course managed to lose my adapter after only using it a few times. tiny little bugger. i just can't bring myself to drop the $40 to buy another. i have no idea where it is, and i've probably spent way more time than I should have looking for it.
frown.gif

hmm, guess i should update the sig

Build your own.

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 11
would a DIY cable yield better SQ than Ety's cable?

Unfortunately, I don't have a $200+ DMM to properly measure the resistance when making a DIY cable
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by barshnik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks,

John F

If it's more bass you want, then P to S adapter is the LAST thing you want. It'll actually decrease upper/mid bass quantity and shift more energy to the mid to high treble area.

What you need is tastefully done bass boost. Nothing crazy, but similar to what Xin's amps have.

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 11
I think it works well for "crazily sensitive" IEM's unamped. Lowers hiss and let's you use a higher volume which, with many portables, lets the sound fill out more. Many internal amps don't peak till 1/2 or more volume level. So a UM2 may sound noticably better as well as lowering hiss.

My experience with a Rockbox'ed Gigabeat F is 3db more bass with the S cable vs. the P. I set the EQ for the P but when using the S cable it rattled my eardrums and I needed to lower the gain. Rockbox doesn't auto reduce bass to avoiding clipping/distortion like many players do. It lets you control the peaks. So in this case, as the volume increases the bass quantity increases also meaning the S will have clearly(and uncomfortably) more bass.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's more bass you want, then P to S adapter is the LAST thing you want. It'll actually decrease upper/mid bass quantity and shift more energy to the mid to high treble area.

What you need is tastefully done bass boost. Nothing crazy, but similar to what Xin's amps have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it works well for "crazily sensitive" IEM's unamped. Lowers hiss and let's you use a higher volume which, with many portables, lets the sound fill out more. Many internal amps don't peak till 1/2 or more volume level. So a UM2 may sound noticably better as well as lowering hiss.

My experience with a Rockbox'ed Gigabeat F is 3db more bass with the S cable vs. the P. I set the EQ for the P but when using the S cable it rattled my eardrums and I needed to lower the gain. Rockbox doesn't auto reduce bass to avoiding clipping/distortion like many players do. It lets you control the peaks. So in this case, as the volume increases the bass quantity increases also meaning the S will have clearly(and uncomfortably) more bass.

These two posts above seem to contradict each other. Could it be the S cable will add bass when using a headphone amp, but the same cable will take away bass when using the cheaper internal amp found in a typical DAP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back