er20 sizing: babyblues or regular
Jan 18, 2009 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rex0x0

New Head-Fier
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, in my searches er-20 threads were all over the place, please move if not
smile_phones.gif

I'm looking to buy a pair of er-20 earplugs after reading the countless recommendation threads I found via search. The only thing I'm not too clear on is the sizing. There is the standard and the 'babyblues' and I'm not sure which to buy. Normally I listen with Grado rs-2s and don't own any iems, so I don't have a good size comparison there. I don't know if I have small ear canals, I've been told I have small ears as in the physical size of the lobe.

The only comparison I have is I have a pair of AO Safety/E-A-R plugs E-A-R Hearing Protection Products which when I wear the 3rd flange(largest) does not go into my ear canal "hole." They do feel tight, but I'm not in a position to need ear plugs regularly so I can't really decide how tight they should be.

Does anyone have any thoughts or and good resources that have more objective sizing information than "for small ear canals?"

Thanks

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks TacticalPenguin,

I tried to get a picture of the earplug in and its surprisingly hard to take a picture of that. But I had someone look at my ear with it in and yes the last flange completely hangs out. I think the diameter of my ear canal is normal but they're just shallow?

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 12
I have a fairly large head (max out R-10's and 701's) and the white tri-flanges still cause me serious discomfort. I have always had to use the foamies (which aren't a problem, but they get hard and gross after a while, even though they are cheap to replace.
I got turned onto the baby blues last February, and loved them so much, I also use them for my E-500's. Great seal and you don't even know that you have them on!

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 12
Jan 19, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 12
Just out of curiosity, are the "Baby Blue" tips now the same as the ones listed on the Etymotic site as "Frost 3-flange eartips (small)" or is that something different?

Edit: Oops, just realized you were looking at earplugs, and not tips for IEMs.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 12
I have the same kind of triple flange earplugs-in yellow, and I wear them without any of the flanges actually sticking out. I don't understand that, a picture might help. The first two tips go deep in my ears and the third one fits just inside where the ear canal begins. They seal tightly and block alot of noise.

The "baby blue" tips sound like a good fit if you can't get all three flanges in your ear. Since they smaller than the regulars, they should all fit. As long as you're getting a seal, the plugs are working. The only problem would be comfort. I don't think it's very comfortable to shove a large plug into a small hole, also if you have to wear them for a long time, they might fall out if there's a flange sticking out.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's very comfortable to shove a large plug into a small hole, also if you have to wear them for a long time, they might fall out if there's a flange sticking out.

That's what the smaller men use as an excuse.
evil_smiley.gif

Sorry, I know I'm a Mod and am supposed to act accordingly, but dammit, I'm human too!
smile.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what the smaller men use as an excuse.
evil_smiley.gif

Sorry, I know I'm a Mod and am supposed to act accordingly, but dammit, I'm human too!
smile.gif

The way I've heard it is that it's better to tickle them to death than to stab them to death. But you're right about one thing: you should know better than to make comments like that! You silly moderator, you.
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhoff80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, are the "Baby Blue" tips now the same as the ones listed on the Etymotic site as "Frost 3-flange eartips (small)" or is that something different?

Edit: Oops, just realized you were looking at earplugs, and not tips for IEMs.

Yes, the baby blues and small frosted tips are the same. Etymotic uses the same tips for its earplugs, ER-4, and ER-6i. The earplugs are just little handles that stick into the tips so you can grab something to pull them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back