ER-6i to Er-4p and my thoughts
Dec 13, 2007 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

basesloaded190

New Head-Fier
i finally received my package today that contained my Etymotic ER-4P IEM. the case for these is very classy and i could tell right away that this was going to be a high quality product. when i took the phones out i could tell right away that these were of much higher quality than my ER-6i. the quality of the cable and the thickness of it was great. i had always thought that the cable for the ER-6i was very delicate and almost cheap.

I immediately hooked these bad boys up to my ipod touch and began to experience something i had never before.

i tested this right away with some of my favorite Dave Mathews Band Tracks:
1. Proudest Monkey
2. Two Step
3. Satellite
4. Crush

I put these in my ears and was blown away. it took me a while to get used to the quality but right away i could just sense this feeling of fullness. it was as though these little phones were projecting every aspect of the music to me. once i got used to the feeling i began to notice, like every one does, things i hadn't before in the music. Dave being filled with many types of instruaments is sometimes difficult to pick them all up. not with these. with these i was able to pick out every piece of music and every part of the music. i could tune everything out and just focus on that one thing if i chose to. when you here those parts it is almost as though you are hearing the song again for the first time.
i had the volume at about half way on the ipod and it was great. i turned it up a bit to see what would happen. with most headphones i have owned the music would just get louder, even with the er-6i. with these i almost felt like i was just getting closer to the music and like Dave was right there singing to me closer than he was before. this was something new to me and its just incredible. the sound doesn't get distorted, rather it just gets better almost as i increased the volume.
like every one who has worn these knows, these are as accurate of phones that you can get. they don't miss a beat and i just can't say enough about how great the sound is. im not even kidding when i say that i got goosebumps listening to some of the music because i was just not used to things like that in my ears.

after listening to music for 3 strait hours i can say that they were as comfortable when i took them out as when i put them in. they felt great and i have no complaints about that whatsoever.

i am almost thankful my er-6is broke because now i have a great set of headphones that i could not be happier with. i would highly recommend these to ANYONE! if you have er-6is you still have no idea how good music can really sound until you stick these in your ears.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 20
Thanks for making me miss mine already. I haven't even shipped them out yet (as per buyer request
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I

Dec 14, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 20
I have the im716, which are reputed to be very like the ER-4 in sound. And what can I say, easily the most detailed sound I have heard. And this includes full sized headphones as well! I am also very surprised by the BIG sound that they throw for IEM. I mean on certain records they wow me with their soundstage, and not to mention the incredible imaging as well.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by daonesteven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for making me want them really badly.

haha... Just get them already. You know you want to
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the im716, which are reputed to be very like the ER-4 in sound. And what can I say, easily the most detailed sound I have heard. And this includes full sized headphones as well! I am also very surprised by the BIG sound that they throw for IEM. I mean on certain records they wow me with their soundstage, and not to mention the incredible imaging as well.

Thanks for making me regret my ER6i purchase
frown.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #8 of 20
lol this post is getting me excited to get my IM716
buy.com is taking so long....tracking shows that shipping from MA to NY, its already taken 4 pitstops, first to NJ, then back up north to CT. (I'm in between the two, stop going back and forth)

probably should be here tomorrow or the next. if they really are detailed phones i will be so happy.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I replaced my er4 with an im716 since I needed the $$ but I fear I will be disappointed.

From what I gathered, the im716 are more or less "warmer" version of the ER-4. And if I deem the HD mode im716 too thin, then I think the ER-4 just will sound too "cold" for me. Maybe by making the im716 more balanced, you somehow lose out certain details and sparkles here and there, but I think it's worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Sorry to hear that. But you can always get another pair for cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Yeah but that's like 1/2 the price. Were you in money-no-object mood?

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah but that's like 1/2 the price. Were you in money-no-object mood?

No, I'm talking about the IM716.

Amazon doesn't ship to New Zealand so I got the ER6i's for $120 from discountheadphones.com...

frown.gif
Im716's are way cheaper than that. How did I miss them?

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #12 of 20
Isn't there another link that has them for like 40 bucks? They might do worldwide shipping...

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 20
Er... ppl in the know enlighten me... how come u equate the im716 to the ER4 and make it sound as if the im716 is just a re-packaged ER4?

The ER4 is Ety flagship product and still loved after 10 years, no way they gonna let another vendor sell a clone version of it.

Enlighten me plse.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 20
I do believe that the im716 are "lesser" version of the ER4. Surely the fact that the two companies came together designing the im716 in collaboration has something to do with their sound sig similarities. There's also a huge thread some time ago about the claim that they are "equal". Search it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back