ER-4S... XP-7 or HR-2? (Poll)
Jan 25, 2004 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

BANGPOD

1000+ Head-Fier
NEC Multispin 6Xe -> BetterCables Silver Serpent -> Muse 2 Plus DAC -> Magwire Ultra V2's -> Emmeline HR-2 -> ER-4S

Home use only...

Save money for upgrades with XP-7?
Go all out, bite my lip, and get the HR-2?

Decisions, decisions...
wink.gif

Please post what you voted and why you chose that selection.

BANGPOD

Jan 25, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 46
I'm at the same point. Yesterday it was the XP-7 but today I'm going the HR-2 with the AD797's. Tomorrow....who knows. Guess the final decision will be made when I hang up with Ray. Then it's on to a new source. Sometimes I regret finding this site!

Jan 25, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 46
KenW --

Keep an eye on this poll and the thread I started below, which is the reason I created this. It provides some great insight, opinions, and suggestions that may guide you in your future purchase. I know there is no one better to talk to about a Ray Samuels amplifier than the man himself, but these two threads may give you a little bit of information you may want to review before making that call (It will give you a little bit of the starter information so you don't have to start from scratch when you talk to him).

BANGPOD

Jan 26, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 46
End of the page "nobody likes this poll" bump.

BANGPOD

Jan 26, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 46
BANGPOD:

No offense but you said you are like a 15 year old kid who has to ask his parents for the money to buy a Samuels' heapdhone amplifier, no? Save their money and get the Emmeline XP-7. You will still be happy.

Jan 26, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 46
Welly Wu:

No offense taken, but it is my graduation money (I am turning 18)
It is my money, but I have to wait until my parents give it to me.

BANGPOD

Jan 26, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 46
BANGPOD:

Okay. So, we're cool. Just do this: get the Emmeline XP-7 WITH the power supply option. You won't be disappointed by its' versatility or its' sound quality either. You'll still get to swap op-amps too. Trust me: versatility, when well executed, is a blessing because you get to do many things without having to spend more money on getting another device to do one specific thing (i.e., mobility / portability). It should cost you $695 USD plus shipping. Save the rest of the money to buy a decent source component. Then, you'll be a very happy man.

Jan 26, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 46
BANGPOD:

I say think about this: Pioneer DV-563A -> BetterCables Silver Serpent -> Emmeline XP-7 WITH Power Supply Option -> Etymotic ER-4S. With this proposal, you will be able to get decent Red Book CD playback and you can try your hand at both DVD-Audio and SACD. Plus, you'll get DVD-Video playback as well! I think you might be able to swing it financially and you'll definitely have mucho versatility in both your source component and your headphone amplifier. That way, should you decide to get a portable audio player like an iPOD, you can take it on the go with the XP-7. If you're at home and you want to watch a movie or play any of the three major 5" audio disc formats, you can.

Jan 27, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 46
Thanks Welly. Just when I thought I was secure in my decision to go with the HR-2 you plant the seeds of indecision again!! I may never get my amp ordered!

I'd been thinking about the 563A if I strike out with the Sony's. Of course,at this rate, it will be discontinued by the time I make up my mind. This site is a curse!

Jan 27, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 46
Okay guys, yeah, blame me!
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Pioneer DV563A -> DiMarzio ICs -> Emmeline XP-7 (AD797 & AD8065 op-amps) + Power Supply Upgrade -> Etymotic ER-4P/S

This is the most versatile setup that I can think of under $1250 USD MSRP. Otherwise, you can get all of these items used if you are patient and save mucho money too. This is also a very high price : performance audio & video setup (IMHO). You will get these features:

Red Book CD playback
Super Audio CD playback
DVD-Audio playback
DVD-Video playback
Warm & Impressionistic IC that outperforms more expensive ICs
Mobile headphone amplifier with op-amp rolling capabilities & 30 - 40 hour battery life
Awesome home headphone amplifier that is 98% of HR-2 sound
Mega isolation earphones
Portable isolation earphones
Clean, Neutral, Reference, Transparant sound

Can't beat that. I'd go for this setup myself as my first rig if I had to start over again.

Jan 27, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 46
If you're looking for something portable, something is already available in its preliminary stages (though it hasnt been publicized much since it hasnt received much exposure) that hopes to best the XP-7 (and quite a few home-based setups too for that matter, if you chose to use higher quality parts). I wont say anymore except that it's developed by a very reputable designer and that the unit looks extremely promising.

Jan 27, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 46
I wouldn't suggest either, with the stock AD797s in the HR-2, the low bass is a bit light. The Gilmore V2 or SE is a better match to my ear.

Jan 28, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 46
Poll bump.

Jan 28, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 46
If you stick with the Ety's and don't plan to upgrade to a higher impedance headphone like the Senn HD580/600/650 or AKG 401/501 soon, I'd recommend saving money and going with the portable approach. I think the HR-2 will have some serious diminishing returns with your Ety's, particulary in the bass dept. ALthough, buying the HR-2 will just make you want to upgrade more. Heheh.

Seriously, you're going to have one killer setup. I wish I had such good taste when I was your age. It took me at least 5 more years to aquire it. Well, good for my financed that I waited.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, go for the XP-7. That way you'll have something to look foward to, and you can still keep the XP-7 + Ety's as your portable system after you build an even better home setup.
wink.gif

Pace yourself man. It's gonna be fun. (Oh, wait, I'm one to talk about pacing oneself.
biggrin.gif
)

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back