ER-4S + E-A-R Earsoft FX = WIN!
Feb 19, 2007 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

bellsprout

500+ Head-Fier
I just made myself a set of custom tips using the E-A-R Earsoft FX tips, which came in the sample pack from the Earplug Superstore (http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/)

Let me say straight off that the E-A-R Earsoft FX's are the best purchase I've ever made for my ER-4S's (and nearly as good a purchase as the ER-4S's themselves).

I've gone through tri-flanges, biflanges, tri flanges with the topmost flange cut off to make them biflanges (worst thing I've ever done), and I tried to get used to rubber tips because they last forever, but I can't. Then I tried every kind of foam tips, finally settling on the Comply tips, which are awesome tips, and I know many ER-4 owners here prefer Comply tips.

But the Earsoft FX is better by miles compared to Comply tips. Comply tips are good because they are smaller than Ety foamies so they go deeper inside the ear. But Earsoft FX is bigger (wider and longer) than Comply, so they take up more real estate inside the ear, providing better isolation. They are also bell shaped, improving isolation considerably. To top it off, they are so soft that ease of insertion and comfort are on par with Comply tips.

As a result, they sound absolutely amazing. Some things I've noticed:
-Much better deep bass resolution
-Notes have an impact. They can almost achieve a good visceral SLAM, which is something not normally associated with ER-4
-Even more detail across the spectrum than I've ever noticed
-Better sound staging.

Above all, the best thing is that it's CHEAP! You get 50 pairs for $14, which kicks **** out of what 3 pairs for the same price for Comply tips. The stems, which I pulled out of a set of Ety foamies are reusable.

I recommend everybody who owns Ety's or any supported IEM's, or anyone who uses Comply tips to try custom tips made out of E-A-R Earsoft FX earplugs. I think they are the best, but YMMV. You can order the trial pack like I did and play around with many other top quality foam earplugs.

BTW: To make them, simply use a hole punch on the earplugs, and put a tube through it (I got mine from the big yellow Ety tips).

Feb 19, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 30
i used a 4mm hole punch. punch size should be about the same as the tube size. the hole will be smaller than the size of the hole punch because of the material, but then u can stick the tube through and it'll stay on without having to use glue.

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 30
How do you hole punch them? Do you compress the plug flat and then shove it in the hole punch?

Can you post pics of this procedure? Thanks!! I have had a hard time DIY-ing my own foam roll tips, but never considered a hole punch.

thanks!!!

Garrett

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long does each foam last?

well they are supposed to be disposable, so I think about the same as a normal foam. Not that that's a problem, because u get 50 of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
How do you hole punch them? Do you compress the plug flat and then shove it in the hole punch?

Can you post pics of this procedure? Thanks!! I have had a hard time DIY-ing my own foam roll tips, but never considered a hole punch.

thanks!!!

Garrett

I don't compress it first. I put it uncompressed in the hole punch, then I measure it so that the bottom and top are centred on the middle of the foam.

Then I slowly squeeze the hole punch with one hand to bring it down, while the other hand holds the foam so that it stays in the middle. The hole doesn't get punched until the very bottom, and by then the foam should look like a perfectly centred donut. If not centred properly, take it out, let it expand again and try again.

I'll try to take some pics now.

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 30
I use a different tecnic for making the hole I soak the plugs in water compress them an submerge them for 15 min. then I take a 1,5 mm drill an make the hole. later I expand the hole with a 3,5 or 4 mm depending on if it is for my e500 or d-jays..The water prevent the plugs from clinging at the drill, remember to have a decent speed on your drill..

The tubing I use is a silicon one for aquarium for the d-jays, and a tube I found in the trashcan at a hospital (for giving drop) for the shures..

I use the foamies for apr 20. hours, they can last longer but I get them for free at work.

BTW I'm using a brand called "NORTH" they are the most dense earplugs I've encounterd, have tried "Max leigth", "bilsom soft", "EAR soft and classic" and some I don't remember the names on, but IMO the "north" type is the best they also have a cool pink colour..

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 30
here's the pictures taken as requested.

All you need is a hole punch, a set of ear plugs and a couple of tubes (not pictured). The ear plugs are Peltor Next Tattoos.

Stick the foam uncompressed onto the hole punch and make sure top and bottom of the foam is centred on the punch

The hole punch leaves an imprint of where it's gonna punch the hole

Slow bring the hole punch down, while using one hand to keep the foam centred as it gets compressed downwards

When it looks perfectly donut-shaped, bring it down and it goes *CLICK*

And there it is! A well punched hole and the piddly bit of crap that got taken out the middle.

Finished product from hole punch

Now to put in the tube. A good idea is to put the foam back on the hole punch, then put the tube on. The foam, which will be stretched by the bottom of the cone shaped punch, will slide onto the tube easily.

Now, wait for the foam to expand. You may need to pull on it for it to expand lengthways because the foam sticks to the tube really well.

And voila! The foam sticks to the tube so hard you don't even need glue.

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a different tecnic for making the hole I soak the plugs in water compress them an submerge them for 15 min. then I take a 1,5 mm drill an make the hole. later I expand the hole with a 3,5 or 4 mm depending on if it is for my e500 or d-jays..The water prevent the plugs from clinging at the drill, remember to have a decent speed on your drill..

The tubing I use is a silicon one for aquarium for the d-jays, and a tube I found in the trashcan at a hospital (for giving drop) for the shures..

I use the foamies for apr 20. hours, they can last longer but I get them for free at work.

BTW I'm using a brand called "NORTH" they are the most dense earplugs I've encounterd, have tried "Max leigth", "bilsom soft", "EAR soft and classic" and some I don't remember the names on, but IMO the "north" type is the best they also have a cool pink colour..

I haven't had luck with the drill. I haven't tried water, but I heard that it may reduce the life of the foam. The hole punch is easy to use and foolproof enough for me.

Where do you get tubing from? I smallest I can find at the hardware shop is 3mm.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 30
Ordered the sleeves (Earsoft FX) and the punch, but need the tubing. Any ideas where to get some? Can I use the tubes in the Complys, since I have a bunch of those? I also have some other foamies, like the black ones from Ety. Will they work?

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you get tubing from? I smallest I can find at the hardware shop is 3mm.

For my D-jays I simple use an airtube for aquraium. for my D-jays I do not let the tube go all the way through the plug because i want as much isolation as possible at work..to make the hole without the tube nice and smoth I use a redhot nail while they are wet (the earplugs) if I do it in their dry state they become sticky and wont open up inside my ears

For the smaller Shure I use a plastictube that I found in a trashcan when my wife was hospitalized, the tube is for giving an IV or drop...so I guess that a medical supplier can help you, otherwise you can just get a child and search the trashcans....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back