ER-4P tri-flange or Foam (or 3rd party) Whats your opinion?
Jul 16, 2008 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

k2snowboards88

Head-Fier
I've been using the er-4p headphones for a couple of weeks now. I've been using the foam tips mostly. The tri-flange tips seem to give the bass more of the kick you can feel. I can feel drums in my head with the tri-flange tips. The foam tips sound more open and natural to me. They also seem to have a warmer fuller sound. They have more bass, but not the impact i can feel. These are my experiences with the 2 tips i've tried. What are yours?

ps. I tried searching but couldn't find a good topic dedicated to this.

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 26
with the E530, My favorite was the the tri-flange modded to a bi-flange. It was the most comfortable and the best sounding. I felt the same way about the olives.

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 26
Tri-Flanges don't work for me, so I always cut them to Bi-Flanges and just use that. Same with foamies, they don't work
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 26
Since making this thread i've tried the triple flanged tips more and i'm having some trouble. The first few times they worked great. Now i'm having trouble getting a seal. I have no problem shoving them in deep. But whenever i'm done inserting them i hear this air leak sound in my right ear. Anyone else have a problem with this?s

Jul 16, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 26
I'd definately use the tri-flange tips(if I had them). Personally I prefer the sillicone tips to foam. Once you get a good seal with the tips, the bass is phenomenal(even with my low-end IEM). Plus, single-flange sillicone tips are more comfortable than foam. They give me a "stuffed" feeling I don't get with sillicone. The sillicone feel strange at first(with the seal) but once they're in they're comfortable for hours.

Jul 16, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 26
I use the tri-flangs, absolutely hated the fit when I got them, but I've gotten used to it and I don't have any discomfort anymore, love 'em.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 26
Based on my experience from my usage through Ety-based flanges, flanges tend to be very uncomfortable and can be quite a chore to "shove the bud" into your ear, making the ER4's uncomfortable at times. You can use the foam, but the foams tend to run out more often and you have to give it time before the foam "kicks in". While Etys have been well-known for its sound accuracy, the comfort level of Etys leave a lot to be desired.

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 26
I prefer the foams, especially for the isolation, and the warmer tonal balance. I particularly like the Comply foam tips which I find more comfortable, especially as they come in both standard and slim, as well as short versions.

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #13 of 26
For the people who have trouble getting a seal with the tri-flange, what kind of problems are you having?

I notice the loss of detail with the foams compared to the tri-flange so I really want to like the tri-flange, but I have trouble getting a seal. I have no problem shoving them into my ear, in fact if i shove them too far into my ear i never get a good seal. What i do is I start with the pig tails facing forward and push the earbuds into my ear while slowly turning the pig tails downward. 9/10 I hear this sound that sounds like leaking air. The music sounds alright but whenever it gets quiet there's that leaking air sound. Its very annoying. I dont mind shoving the tips in my ear, but i do mind shoving them in and removing them 10 times just to get a good seal. Does anyone have any good tips?

ps moistening them doesn't help

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #15 of 26
What I do is use the other hand to pull the ear up, and then insert the triple flange, all while sort of rocking it back and forth and twisting. the back end of the third flange should be pretty much right at the enterence to your ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back