ER-4P fit question
Sep 2, 2002 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Magicthyse

Better to look good than to sound good!
So I've got two plans at the moment:

Sell the SR225 and get an RS-1
or
Keep the SR225 and get an ER-4P with the impedance cable.

My curiousity is never going to see the light of day with the attention lavished on the ER-4.

I HATE canalphones. I bought an EX70 to see how much I could live with them, but I can't. They really bug me after a while. Ditto with 'the plug'.

I'm not gonna buy one secondhand because... urrrrgh.

So, can anyone answer me this?
How different are the ER4's to the fit of the EX70? Please be as specific as you can.

And a further question - has anyone ordered from UAS Enterprises in Hants, the UK distributor for Etymotic? Their FY 2001 accounts are overdue...

Thx

Sep 2, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 9
The 4P's go much deeper into your ear than the 70's. I wouldn't say they're uncomfortable, but they'll take a little getting used to. Using them around two hours daily for my commute I think it was a week, week and a half before they disappeared. Some people can't deal with them though...

And you know, they're not much to look at
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 9
the er6 is much more inconspicous... and you probably would like the er4 fit.... the er6 isnt soo bad, but try wearing earplugs and you will see... rs1 on the other hand i think kinda looks dorky, so does my bro...

Sep 3, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 9
I recently tried to buy a set of ER-4P's from UAS in Hampshire. I telephoned them because their website said they were unable to process orders. I left 3 messages on their answerphone and had earlier in August sent them an email. I received no replies whatsoever. When their website was restored I decided I did not want to risk using them and contacted etymotic who told me that they have removed the company from their distributors list because of a "large number of recent complaints about their customer service". They advised that UAS may continue to order and supply the earphones.

I had also contacted Erik Unterhuber of www.personal-jukebox.com as he seemed keen to help another head-fi'er in a similar position. He was not so keen to help me and refered me back to UAS. I wrote back explaining the situation again in more detail and he replied that if I sent UAS another email at a different email address they would certainly reply to me. As I had already left 3 messages on their answerphone and sent an email and been informed by Etymotic about their removal from the distributor list, I decided against this. Last Tuesday evening I ordered the ER-4P from Headroom and apart from a small delay when my credit card company panicked, everything went smoothly. I received the earphones on Friday morning and am now getting used to them
biggrin.gif

I also have the ex70's. I haven't compared them side by side yet but I do remember the awful colouration and gritty top end only too well. I have done the various mods on them as described in these forums and that has improved them, but they do not compare in any way to the kind of sound I get with the ER-4P's.

My only problem with the Ety's at the moment is getting a consistent seal. The sound quality sometimes seems to vary, but I realise I am still a novice in this department.
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2002 at 8:12 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the Chris - I really wanted to know the fit difference.

I'm aware of the comparatively terrible sound of the EX70 - not a fan, but the reason I can't stand the EX70 is solely due to the fit and the fact that I had to spend the good part of a minute re-adjusting it once I took it out for even a short time.

Opinions please, once you get used to them?

Sep 3, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
oh.. get the audio technica w100. they look sick.. my bro has a pair. course we probaby aready discussed this

I think we have discussed this already. Shaven coconuts on your head, matey.

And the RS1 is a swan compared to the HD280's daffy duck
very_evil_smiley.gif

And all this is redundant because the RS1, if I got it, would be for home use. I'm just debating whether to increase my versatility as it were, or go for the experience of the RS1. Is the ER4P better than the RS1? Who can answer that question? Thanks...?

Sep 3, 2002 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 9
wow those little sony's are pretty tame compared to ety's. i had the ex70's for a couple years and thought they were the best thing to happen to portable... which is why i decided to splurge on the etys.

the problem is really that any canal phones are going to be a bit awkward at first. i mean, sticking stuff in your ear isn't really part of life, and trying to get those rubbers in your ears can be a bit like a wet willy.

on the other hand, if you've ever used those foam ear plugs they pass out at rock concerts, the foam pads are basically the same as those, and although most people end up using the PVC tips in the long run, the foam are very user friendly for beginners/sensitive folk.

another thing, i know everyone and their mother buys 4P's now, and from reading i know you're into portable, but i sort of suggest considering the 4S. unless you use very weak source, 4S is going to get you enough volume (although i have fairly sensitive ears, and don't really like to blast music when i'm on the go...) and block out more signal noise, if you happen to be forced on some terrible sources when you're away from the home rig (like here at work). and finally, i find the 4S cord to be far superior to the 4P, which was sadly the biggest factor in my decition (i bought both, sent back one). the 4P cable seems to be an attempt at an upgrade, and is more professional looking. unfortunately it is more stiff up after the split where it counts, and if you've heard people complain about microphonics... be rest assured they were 4P users. and to tell you the truth, the 4S cable seems like it will last longer to me. it is vinal covered, and you can see the wires wrap under them, sort of DIYish, and the 4P cable has a rubber sheath, and is very sturdy looking, but perhaps could streth over time, and kind of feel like they're stretched already (this happened to my EX70's, which of course had cheapo cheapo cable, so not as much of an issue here) on the other hand, like everyone else has settled with, its easy to switch 4P to 4S, so its 4P for the masses...

for comfort, go buy those 50 cent foam earplugs and try them. if you can stand it, then you don't have to worry too much. not quite as much isolation with foamies, but more ease of use. and even though canalies are awkward, you really do grow accustomed to them over time, so don't feel like you're cursed with an anti-canal phone condition, there's still hope. also, considering how freaking long they look, they go so far into your ears that they really aren't that unsightly... until you realize that looping the wire over the ears kills all microphonics on the go. then you may look a bit goofy.

Sep 3, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 9
Well, it took about a month to get used to the ER-4P's, but, now, I can say I don't even notice them in my ear canals. Sort of like getting used to wearing Doc Martens shoes....They're a bit sore, at first, but, after some use, they are the most comfortable things you'll ever have on your feet.

Of course, the ER-4P's blow away every other headphone I've ever used. The detail, transparency, and presence of music is nothing like I've ever experienced. Even if these babies did not isolate like the dickens, their sound is worth the big bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back