Equipment Stand Recommendations
Jan 25, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #16 of 43
Whoa! Jeez, um, nevermind I guess! Sweet!!

Jan 25, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Old Pa
Is your the 5 shelf version of the one Sean has pictured above? You filled the tubes with shot as you built it?

I've got the five shelf version of the Component Audio Furniture line from Sanus (https://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi). This is a different line than Sean H's. I see they have a six shelf as well as a four shelf version now in the Component Audio line. These ship with both feet and spikes. Besides missing out on any possible sand leakage, my concept in filling the rack legs with graphited steel shot was that of a big deadfall hammer. I also vibrated the legs with an orbital sander with cardboard in place of the sandpaper while filling them to facilitate settling. My Bryston B14ST (solid state 20A monoblock on a single chassis 625WRMS, 90#) seems very comfortable on the bottom shelf.

Jan 25, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

I think these are not deep enough and I may end up making my own. I have been thinking of marble slabs with cones for isolation. The amps I am patiently waiting for are 24" deep x 11W
They are due here the 28th. They are Atma-Sphere MA1 MK-II.2 monoblocs.

What..........John are you just teasing us or is this for real, those amps cost @20K a pair!

What else you got in that system???
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #19 of 43
I was just wondering, this is OT, but...why does that pic load from the BOTTOM UP!!...that's really really weird.

Anyway, you really do need a fitting stand to go with those amps. You should ask whoever made his custom stand for his SCD-1, etc. (I'm sorry I forgot who it was
frown.gif
), he did an awesome job though, I'd say that it would be better than a store-bought one.

Jan 25, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #20 of 43
I think you may be looking at the MA-2 MK II.3 which are $27K a pair new. The ones I am getting are far less expensive and I am getting them from the original owner. For now I will be using them with my Meridian player and will be auditioning the Stealth as a preamp-headphone amp. I have not selected speakers yet and I am waiting until I hear the amp before I choose a pair. I have a spare room that I will be using for listening and I want to take my time and make sure everything fits together. I also have been looking at a turntable but that is a ways off

Jan 25, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #21 of 43
I don't know prices there.. I don't own these.. I just know that they look very nice and are very, very configurable! Finite Element: Spider

Now, if I had some extra cash, this is what I'd buy.. They have a amp-stand model too: just the base (200kg weight limit for the base and 100kg for every extra shelf though they look like they wouldn't hold much). *Continues dreaming...*

Edit: Duh.. re-reading your original post, I doubt you could have the whole rack for $300. So please forget..
frown.gif
Also no personal experience. Looks kinda cool though?

Jan 25, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

I think these are not deep enough and I may end up making my own. I have been thinking of marble slabs with cones for isolation. The amps I am patiently waiting for are 24" deep x 11W
They are due here the 28th. They are Atma-Sphere MA1 MK-II.2 monoblocs.

untitled.bmp

John,

Congratulations on owning these amps, they are superb.

JC

Jan 26, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #24 of 43
John. Instead of Marble Slabs, try getting Maple. Or simply go to Ikea and get their Lack coffee tables and cut off the legs and install spikes.

Otherwise, I have had success with Lovan stands as well.

Jan 26, 2004 at 8:10 PM Post #25 of 43
That Ikea Lack thingy doesn't sound too thick.. Only particleboard? Though you don't have to "cut" the legs as (you know Ikea) it doesn't come assembled (Well, you could shorten them..) Better to do from MDF + some 2x2 and veneer (if you aren't all thumbs (like me
smily_headphones1.gif
)? Well, its ready made.. Anyway..

Jan 27, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #27 of 43
Well it's not like the board on my Lovan stands are thick either. There are so many variables in rack technology. But ya if I was to build a rack I would look for Maple.

Jan 27, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
www.audioadvisor.com has the Lovan classic's for 199.00. I just got one in trade and it's pretty good. To add more weight to it I'm going to replace the wood shelves with either 1/2" hockey glass or 3/4" marble.

I bought a Lovan Classic II 6 years ago for 380.00, so I would say 199.00 is a very good price indeed. One negative is it's a pain in the ass to move(because of it's triangular design), you have to remove all components, then disassemble the shelves!
frown.gif

Tom, sounds like a good idea replacing the shelves with something heavier(better dampening). Do you plan to do it yourself? I would be interested as to how it would be done, especially with the marble.

Jan 27, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #29 of 43
Jeez John! I thought I had ridiculously large tube monos!! With tube amps, isolation could be a bad thing. I suggest to try a few out first. I think it would be worth it to get Mana Acoustic stands for those beauties, and a cheapie rack for your other equipment. Personally I use marble slabs (trash picked) but have not yet found points for them. I guess I could use Vibrapods, but I would need those ones for really heavy equipment. Sound Organisation has a good 4 level stand w/ isolated glass shelves for under $400. Mana is definetly the holy grail, no where to go from there.

Jan 27, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #30 of 43
I just ordered a rack from Quadraspire for my soon to be arriving Naim system. The importers of Quadraspire also import Sound Organisation racks and they consider the Quadraspire to be a higher end product. They also look beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back