Equipment Forum ... outdated structure!?
Nov 15, 2010 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bearmann

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I think that we should talk about a new and up-to-date structure of the Equipment Forums. Why?

Nowadays there are more and more DAC/amp combos out there than ever before. And the/my problem is, that you just don't know where to post anything about such a combo device.

A little example:

Musiland Monitor 02 US @ Computer Audio
Nuforce uDAC-2 @ Dedicated Source Components
Audio-GD FUN @ Headphone Amps (full-size)

Every single one of those three devices is a DAC+Amp combo and they do (roughly speaking) essentially the same. Yet the threads are in three different categories. The starters of those threads aren't to blame because you could justify each one of those categories for every one of the devices. And those three are just examples. You have to search in all three categories if you're interested in combo devices.

My (first, open and discussible) suggestion would be:

- Headphone Amps (full-size): For headphone amps w/o ANY kind of DAC.
- DAC/Amp Combos: For every device that has a DAC and an integrated headphone amp - doesn't matter if it's portable or not!
- Dedicated Source Components: For DACs w/o ANY kind of headphone amp.
- Computer Audio: OS related stuff and not USB DACs or USB DAC/Amps

What do you think?

If I am the only one who thinks that the current structure of the Equipment Forum is somewaht outdated, then please just ignore this thread. :)

regards.
bearmann

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 5
One problem in your thinking is you seem to be neglecting CD players, turntables and other sources as "Dedicated Sources". 
However I think you might be onto something. I've always hated the broadness of "Dedicated Sources" and the misplacement of DAC related topics in the "Computer Audio" section.

I'd love to see some more suggestions and hear some feedback from Jude and/or Joe on this.

Also - give us a dedicated "Vinyl" section :D

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 5
I'd sure like a vinyl forum. :)

But maybe expand it to analog sources. I'd suspect that it would be 90% vinyl, but it would be a good way to include reel-to-reel and those of us who love radio tuners. Possibly even some lone diehards with wire players, cylinders, cassettes, 8-tracks, and other audio eccentricities. I'd also like to see some stickies in there on setting up a turntable and finding vintage ones.

It has been suggested before, but how about a Budget-Fi Forum? Make it a catchall for anything under $100 - headphones, sources, amps, everything. I think that would be a lively forum and a focus on value would probably be welcoming to a lot of people who lurk but have no intention of going four figures in. At least for now. They can discover the awful truth later. :D

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
One problem in your thinking is you seem to be neglecting CD players, turntables and other sources as "Dedicated Sources". 
[...]

You're absolutely right, probably because I never had a CDP. :D But I would leave ANY source device inside "Dedicated Source" section. I would just abandon any DAC/Amp combo device to the other category. 

Quote:
[...] It has been suggested before, but how about a Budget-Fi Forum? Make it a catchall for anything under $100 - headphones, sources, amps, everything. I think that would be a lively forum and a focus on value would probably be welcoming to a lot of people who lurk but have no intention of going four figures in. At least for now. They can discover the awful truth later. :D

Hmmm... this is probably nice for new people, but then we have the "what category" problem back! For example: The new uDAC-2 costs $129 and the uDAC-2 HP costs $99 ... one would fit the category, the other wouldn't but they are (practically) identical. And if I am searching for new cans and my budget is <$150 I'd have to check two forums - "Headphones (full-sized)" and the new "Budget-Fi" because perhaps there are cans for around $100 who kick ass?!

I think that an accumulative-forum like "Budget-Fi" wouldn't help very much in the long run because of additional and unnecessary diversification.

regards.
bearmann

PS: Good to see that I am not the only one who thinks that it's time for a little change. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back