equalizing HD280 = complete distortion??
Jan 14, 2005 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

prona

100+ Head-Fier
When I play a pure 20hz tone with foobar's EQ on (not auto-leveled), it sounds completely distorted (even when it's 55hz and 77hz is set to +1db). Same goes for 30 and 40hz. When I turn the 55hz and 77hz in the EQ down to 0, the distortion goes away. I auto-levelled the EQ and cranked up the volume and the distortion went away. My HD280 is plugged straight into hi-res jack of AV710 with no amp. Is this distortion due to clipping or due to insufficient power due to lack of an amp?

Also, I have an LCD monitor that has a headphone-out jack, would there be anything in this that would serve as an amplifier of any kind? Or would connecting my headphones to this only distort the sound even more? What would be the best thing to do in my case (without having to go out and buy an amp [i am so broke
frown.gif
]

Jan 14, 2005 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 3
for the foobar2k EQ, sound will distort when u increase the settings for any frequency above 0. The only way to get around this problem is to auto-level it like you did so that the highest level for any setting is 0. So let say you want to increase the bass, set 55hz and 77hz at 0 while the rest at lower levels ie negative. Using auto level is the easiest way of doing that.

When your distortion is solved, i suggest connecting your headphones directly to your soundcard. Your lcd monitor is for viewing not for reproducing sound via speakers much less producing good sound from the headphone out.

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 3
Yeah, my HD280 is currently plugged directly to the AV710 while my LCD monitor speakers are plugged into onboard sound and tv tuner. Okay so, this isn't a problem of insufficient power due to lack of an amp? I didn't notice the distortion on my e2c's when I had them plugged to my soundcard.

BTW, by distortion, I mean a "bsszzszzz" sound instead of a pure "brrrrmmmmm" when I'm playing a 30hz sinusoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back