EQs for cowon s9
Nov 25, 2009 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

deeman101

New Head-Fier
I just wanted to know which EQ setting others are using for their s9s. I switch between Viva 2 and BBE headphone 3, depending on the bass thats on the track. But if someone knows or made an EQ with similar bass and more forward mids and highs, like Rock, I'd like to know.
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeman101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to know which EQ setting others are using for their s9s. I switch between Viva 2 and BBE headphone 3, depending on the bass thats on the track. But if someone knows or made an EQ with similar bass and more forward mids and highs, like Rock, I'd like to know.
ksc75smile.gif

Those are the exact same two I like to use as well. Headphone 3 for bass light phones, and Viva 2 for the others.

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on the phones. Use one of the user custom options, to match your phones. That's what I did. I like the maestro setting (with v2.5 firmware, be sure you update it).

Wow thats new for me!
What does the maestro setting change in the sound
(I'm still using the v2.41 cos I've read of a few bugs out there)

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 14
Just a wider soundstage, little more bass bump. But I also like to go in and mess with the custom settings, since there are four available. I've never had so much fun with an EQ before. I know the purists will consider it blasphemy, but I don't care.

What problems with 2.50? Guess I should have googled it first. I haven't seen anything yet, but now I am going to check it out. I got the idea for maestro from Techfreakazoid, who wrote than massive S9 v. X v. Touch comparison. Good stuff.

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 14
Another update already? Nice. I'd be interested in hearing about these bugs, too.

I also switch between Headhpone 3 and Viva 2. Every now and then I like the Pop setting. From what I read, I'll probably be using the more bass focused settings when my RE0s arrive this week.

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #9 of 14
My S9 paired with IE8's BBE Viva is pretty good. Viva 2 and Maestro boost bass too much for these phones.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by molokovellocet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My S9 paired with IE8's BBE Viva is pretty good. Viva 2 and Maestro boost bass too much for these phones.

I guess you don't like bass heavy music? I use ie8s as well but BBE Viva sounds too light on bass. Maestro is good with the mids and highs, I actually like it a lot. But again, its missing that little extra bit of bass for me.

Then again I do have my ie8s bass knob set to the second highest setting.
icon10.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeman101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you don't like bass heavy music? I use ie8s as well but BBE Viva sounds too light on bass. Maestro is good with the mids and highs, I actually like it a lot. But again, its missing that little extra bit of bass for me.

Then again I do have my ie8s bass knob set to the second highest setting.
icon10.gif

Actually I love bass, that's one of the reasons I bought the IE8's. I just got the IE8's recently so maybe they are still burning in.

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by KromaXamorK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
80hz - 6 wide
300hz - 7 wide
1.1khz - 6 wide
4.1khz - 8 wide
13khz -7 wide

BBE+ : 5/4/2/On
STE : 4

I don't mean to be rude, but what's the point of cranking up all the EQ bands like that other than to introduce a ton of hiss? Do you need the extra volume or something? Why not use 0/1/0/8/1 which sounds very similar if not exactly the same (it's hard to tell for sure because of the volume differences), and doesn't have nearly the amount of hiss as yours does.

Maybe your headphones don't hiss as the TripleFis are on the sensitive side, but in my experience the player is almost dead quiet with no EQ/enhancements, and then if you turn on the EQ or BBE+ settings you get quite a bit of hiss, and with yours it's crazy hissing.

I see a lot of users on the iAudiophile forums posting similar settings and I just don't get it.

OK, moving on: does anybody actually know what any of the BBE+ settings/enhancements actually tweak in the frequency spectrum? I've been fiddling around with mine for a while now - the S9 sounds OK with out any EQing, but with some fairly modest tweaking the music just sounds so much more exciting and engaging. Enough so that I just may have to live with the slight hiss that results. I turned between a little bit of BBE and Mach3Bass, I'm getting great bass impact out of my TF10s, but the mid-bass is sounding a bit bloated to me. I'm working on wringing that midbass out, but it would be really helpful to see how all the different enhancements affect the EQ spectrum, if possible.

Is there a free program that I could use to connect my S9 into my mic input on my PC and get some kind of frequency response chart?

Also I was curious if anybody had a "visual" representation of what the wide/normal/narrow settings do on the EQ bands. I know I'm asking a lot here, but it would be really helpful to have all this information available.

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #14 of 14
Hi Guys, Im just new here at this forum site, Maybe can I ask some help regarding on my settings, especially the equalizer. Im a music lover and I want to have always listen with a twist of bass. so guys if could just help me on the setting taht would ba big help and and a big thanks for you guys. Im a COWON S9 user from philippines

Users who are viewing this thread

Back