EQ vs. Tube Rolling?
Dec 9, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #16 of 51
That would be my ears. And while that may not be good enough for you, it's good enough for me and most audiophiles. I spent 2 years competing in IASCA and USAC. Not for SPL but for sound quality. The second year as a pro and I got invites both years. But, I know it's hard to take the advise of other people. That's why I highly recommend going and listening yourself.

Dec 9, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #17 of 51
There is some very serious ignorance here about tube amps. Do you really want to know why tubes are seldom used? Because most people are willing to sacrifice sound quality for a few bucks. Tube amps are very pricey. I built a pair of mono single ended 300B tube amps and the cost was over $1800. Try buying a pair. Be prepared to spend a few thousand. Sometimes 20K or more. And, they only put out 8.5 watts each on the average. But run them to some very nice efficient speakers and be prepared to be blown away. They shake my house. And forget what people say about tube amps sounding warm. That is in the old tech when resistors and other components were such low quality that the signal rolled off at about 15K. You don't actually want that. You want something that is totally transparent. People use tube amps for guitars for unique sound when driving into overdrive. The distortion is very pleasing to the ear but you do not want that for music reproduction. I highly suggest you do some research before you slam something that all audiophiles love. You might sound more informed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_amplifier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_sound

http://bottlehead.com/?product=paramount-v1-1-300b2a3-monoblocks-pair-kit

Dec 9, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #18 of 51
That would be my ears.

Ok. In other words, it sounds good to you, instead of being put up against any reference to determine actual accuracy.

And while that may not be good enough for you, it's good enough for me and most audiophiles.

Oh no, that's fine. I'm a big fan of going with whatever sounds best to each individual.

I spent 2 years competing in IASCA and USAC. Not for SPL but for sound quality. The second year as a pro and I got invites both years.

So?

But, I know it's hard to take the advise of other people. That's why I highly recommend going and listening yourself.

I've been listening for myself for quite a long time, thank you.

It's just that word "accuracy" that you used I'm having a bit of trouble with.

When I think of 300B monoblocks, "accuracy" just isn't a word that comes to mind. Yes, they can sound good when paired with the right loudspeakers, but from an actual performance point of view, they're far from what I would consider "accurate."

se

Dec 9, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #21 of 51
Oh BS. Go listen to a pair of 300B monoblock tube amps. That's all I run in my living room. I run them on custom Klipsch speakers and they rock the house with pure tonal accuracy. I would never go back to solid state.

What kind of EQ are you using to address your room's acoustics so that you can achieve "pure tonal accuracy"? Unless you have an anechoic chamber in which case, you might not need EQ.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #25 of 51
I have no EQs but I also have no problem using a pair of good ones with tube amps. I do not follow they theory of tubes with no EQ. I just don't need them. I did install custom crossovers in my Klipsch KG 5.5s and replaced the mylar domes with titanium. The speakers are also 4 feet from the back walls. Did I use an RTA with pink noise? No, I did not. I used my trained ear. Which is good enough for me. But I also suggest you use your own ear and not take my word for it. If I ever replace these speaker with Klischorns I will have to reassess the sound. But for now it's perfect....for my ear. And if you find yourself in the Seattle area I would invite you to hear them too.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #26 of 51
I have no EQs but I also have no problem using a pair of good ones with tube amps. I do not follow they theory of tubes with no EQ. I just don't need them. I did install custom crossovers in my Klipsch KG 5.5s and replaced the mylar domes with titanium. The speakers are also 4 feet from the back walls. Did I use an RTA with pink noise? No, I did not. I used my trained ear. Which is good enough for me. But I also suggest you use your own ear and not take my word for it. If I ever replace these speaker with Klischorns I will have to reassess the sound. But for now it's perfect....for my ear. And if you find yourself in the Seattle area I would invite you to hear them too.

No EQ and you think you are getting "perfect" sound at the listening position? The chances of that are somewhere south of hitting the lottery. Twice. In consecutive weeks. Perfect for your ear is an entirely different subject but that wasn't your original claim.

I've been tuning home audio systems for decades. Long enough to know that the measurements I take are far, far more accurate than my ears/brain. And long enough to know that every room needs significant room treatments and/or EQ to measure anywhere near flat at the main listening position.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #27 of 51
I'm sure if it was RTA'd I would see some deficiencies.  But I also know that while an RTA can point out some glaring issues, you also can't rely on a good RTA reading to provide good sound. I would much rather have a good sound curve than a flat curve. It would be interesting to see how it RTAs, but I suspect I would not change a thing.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #28 of 51
I'm sure if it was RTA'd I would see some deficiencies.  But I also know that while an RTA can point out some glaring issues, you also can't rely on a good RTA reading to provide good sound. I would much rather have a good sound curve than a flat curve. It would be interesting to see how it RTAs, but I suspect I would not change a thing.

Getting back to the original topic:
If you acknowledge that what you are actually hearing is being impacted by the room, then how do you support your claims of "pure tonal accuracy" in the amp?

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #30 of 51
Getting back to the original topic:
If you acknowledge that what you are actually hearing is being impacted by the room, then how do you support your claims of "pure tonal accuracy" in the amp?

I think it's pretty clear by now that he doesn't wish to discuss the amp, so you can forget about getting back to the original topic.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back