EQ Settings for 700+ Headphones
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 165

jaakkopasanen

100+ Head-Fier
I started looking into headphones about a year ago and got pretty soon excited about possibilities of using equalizer to improve headphones. Then I got very disappointed of the lack of existing headphone eq settings. Disappointment turned into resolution and this was my reaction.

Now I'm exited to present to you equalization settings for over 700 headphones: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq. This includes all on-ear headphone measurements from Innerfidelity and Headphone.com with 4 different target curves. Combined with EqualizerAPO this is essentially a free alternative to Sonarworks True-Fi with almost 5 times as many headphone models. Full details on how to use the eq settings and what else you can do with this can be found in the Github page.

This is not supposed to be the be-all and end-all of headphone equalization. Especially the target curve is a tricky thing to nail down because Innerfidelity and Headphone.com measurements are not directly comparable with the measurement system used by Sean Olive and others for their Harman target response research. I would love to hear feedback from you fellow headphone enthusiasts. Do you think this makes your headphones sound better and what kind of problems do you have with these eq settings?

I hope this makes equalization a bit more approachable for people who feel intimidated by it. Also keep in mind that you are allowed to tune the eq for example with HeSuVi to make it more to your liking.

Aug 4, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 165
is there a zip file for all the EQ files and all the files i need to start the EQ ?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 165
also can it work with foobar ?

Aug 4, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 165
is there a zip file for all the EQ files and all the files i need to start the EQ ?
Yes, just download the project from the Github page and you'll get all the results as well as data and code to produce new results.

also can it work with foobar ?
EqualizerAPO is system-wide equalizer so it will process anything that is happening on the operating system.

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 165
How would your curves be applied to something like Viper4Android? Would you just use the parametric EQ setting provided?

Does Viper4Android have parametric equalizer? If it does then you can just configure the filters with the ones provided in the headphone equalization result document.

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 165
hd560 graph.jpg
Can I get the target response curve used to eq super-imposed on the innerfidelity graph for the HD650?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #10 of 165
The red and blue lines? Those are the result of applying the old compensation curve to raw microphone data and the old compensation curve is very far from what is considered neutral.

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 165
I'll judge myself what is and isn't neutral since I know what I want from a headphone.

But my reference for comparison is the flat line on the the inner-fidelity graphs (and I presume most people judge headphones compared to that, inner-fidelity graphs are the standard).

So, last time: what's the difference between flat on the inner-fidelity graph and your eq target? If the compensation curves are different, it's the difference between the two compensation curves.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 165
I'll judge myself what is and isn't neutral since I know what I want from a headphone.

But my reference for comparison is the flat line on the the inner-fidelity graphs (and I presume most people judge headphones compared to that, inner-fidelity graphs are the standard).

So, last time: what's the difference between flat on the inner-fidelity graph and your eq target? If the compensation curves are different, it's the difference between the two compensation curves.

PxBYXnX.png

Since you asked so nicely. Indpendent of direction is the compensation curve used in PDFs.

May 2, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #14 of 165
It seems I have totally forgotten to update the project status here. Since the last replies of this thread a lot has happened. The number of covered headphone models is now at over 2400. I've added Rtings, oratory1990, Reference Audio Analyzer and now Crinacle's measurements and pre-computed results for them.

Different type of equalizers have gained support too. AutoEQ produces settings for basically all types of equalizers. There are parametric equalizer filters optimized, fixed band (graphic) equalizer filters optimized and impulse responses for minimum phase and linear phase filters. This means that any device or platform which has some type of equalizer is covered. However out of all possible fixed band equalizers only 10-band EQs are supported in the pre-computed results but others can be generated with little effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back