EQ questions
Apr 5, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 16
1. Is there a way to add multiple eq profiles via software for different headphones via same source?

2. What is the easiest way to eq with similar functionality as "bass boost"?
I use Peace, which is an Equalizer APO extension. It takes care of your #1 question I think. I have EQ profiles for different amps, headphones, games, music, etc. You can even use it to EQ your mic.

It also includes an Effects panel that includes a Bass gain function, taking care of #2. It's a full Parametric EQ, so if you're unfamiliar with PEQs, the learning curve is a little steep. But it's very powerful.

I'd like to hear what other people's solutions are.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 16
My solution you want? This is my solution. For music listening. Multiple EQ methods. One is not enough. I use custom speaker EQ (top left in pic) for speakers that just need help from the get-go. Works super-great for headphones, too. For quick fixes, I use simple tone controls (bass, treble with the Levels button to pop their controls (+/- 10 dB)) for left and right channels. I mostly only use these to adjust sound on-the-fly/per track. And of course the 8-channel, 1/3rd octave (31 band) graphic EQ. For the bass, I pump it all to a pair of SWs (pic, lower right).

As for how I easily switch this for different destinations, if you look real close, you see a Selector tab. From there I pick from 9 devices (say, headphones, 7.1, dts5.1, and so on). Each selector gets its own settings. And, if I feel the need for more, I can start another instance of my program, getting me another 9 selectors, and playable with any number of other instances.

All. Very. Cool. If I do say so myself.
20210406_jukebox_2112_EQ_you_say.png

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 16
It looks good. Just a food for thought, but what are the odds of having this on mobile?
Zero. I did mobile software back in the 2000-2010 era. I must have done a dozen or more audio players. Here are a few links if you want a trip back in time.

https://40th.com/gfx/old_phantasmx_wm5ppc_some_page.png
https://40th.com/gfx/210cradle.jpg
https://cornelhuth.com/tmp/20050101_iplay.png

All very good for their time. Given what I see on mobile, still very good.

But, there is an Arm64 version. It's funny that WOA (Windows on Arm version 11) runs 64bit x64 programs just fine. Had me going for a while that things worked when I mistakenly copied x64 programs to an Arm64 machine. The picture below has a comparative performance metric for the filter maker in JB. The only real take-away is the native ARM64 is about 33% faster than x64-emulation on the same machine (or x64 on ARM64 (on the current Win11) is 50% slower than native ARM64).

0.996 seconds to calculate data to plot a 20-filter file on native Arm64 EXE on WOA
1.505 seconds to calculate data to plot a 20-filter file on an x64 EXE on WOA (everything the same but the EXE: x64 and Arm64)

UPDATE: I re-did the filter stuff and it's all instant now. Already wrote that in the (new) pic text header:
20211127_x64_Arm64_x64onArm.png

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 16
That's oldschool but very cool :)
There were many. There was a client/server version, where you'd run your own shoutcast-like server (but an actual server, not an mp3-transcode-always-and-ride-gain-to-max-plus-10 POS), at home, and the client (a version of iPlay) would source its files from there, in original form (no transcoding nonsense). That was back when a 256MB CF card was considered big, a while before the IBM 1GB CF card (spinning disk! still have it) was available. Back then, there were maybe a half-dozen mobile players. Today, a half-million?

Old School is in:

The iPaq 3650, which I made iPlay for, had 32 MB of RAM advertised. Of that, 4MB went to the system for important stuff, and the rest, 28 MB or so, was shared by the program space and program storage ("disk"), which the user allocated using a slider -- more to storage, or more to program memory. Not much. Maybe 16 MB for programs to run in. Today, mobiles have what? 8 GB of RAM? About 500 times as much RAM. And this was volatile memory, so if the battery ran down, it was all gone, storage, programs, everything. The naked iPaq 36xx (maybe iPAQ) had no CF slot; the 38xx finally came with an SD slot built-in (this was about the time HP bought Compaq, July 2002 I think it was). You needed an extra-cost sled for the 36xx. I think 100 USD just for a sled to stick a single CF card in. Very expensive was all this for 20+ years ago.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #10 of 16
Looks like a plethora of strategies and functions above.

My ruleset is different/simple:

Parametric only (fixed or 2/3) way controls rarely if ever fit the needs of the can/speaker - don't use them.

For cost concerns I use digital not analog. Specifically in UAPP - Toneboosters. Used for TIDAL and Qobuz services.

If you must go analog/fixed I'd be looking at 20 bands. Love Schiit, but the two they have (4 & 6 band) do not come near being functional enough.

Overlaying EQ from different sources is bound to screw up the phase of the music. Don't do it.

Finally, if you have two bands 1/2 an octave apart and the total differencee between them is more than 6 db (counting from 0 for both) its too much, phase issues will creep in. Whatever you do, cut it so its +2.5 and -2.5 sort of thing.

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #11 of 16
My ruleset is different/simple:

Yes, yours. Not mine. Presumably no one elses. One is free to use or not use the controls available, however one likes. I like bass. Sir Mix-a-lot style. I've got two huge subs. Huge loudspeakers. Lots o' power. I like the way I do things, otherwise, sure, I would not do them. Besides, none of what you wrote seems to have anything to do about anything here. Lots o'ramblin' is all I see. If you have specifics, let's see what you got. One at a time. Not a pile of ramblings only you can follow. Or not.

Nov 28, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #12 of 16
Yes, yours. Not mine. Presumably no one elses. One is free to use or not use the controls available, however one likes. I like bass. Sir Mix-a-lot style. I've got two huge subs. Huge loudspeakers. Lots o' power. I like the way I do things, otherwise, sure, I would not do them. Besides, none of what you wrote seems to have anything to do about anything here. Lots o'ramblin' is all I see. If you have specifics, let's see what you got. One at a time. Not a pile of ramblings only you can follow. Or not.
You can't figure out a succinct list? Must be too much bass.

Obviously I speak for myself - that seems to have flown over as well.

Nov 30, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 16
You can't figure out a succinct list? Must be too much bass.

Obviously I speak for myself - that seems to have flown over as well.
It's like your sig. It's a list. But I don't see the point in the list. Either list. If you have real concerns you should articulate them so to make sense to people who are on different wavelengths than you. One at a time.

Nov 30, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 16
My experiences and conclusions are embedded in my short rules list. People have been making various points here, and this is how I choose to express mine. I've got a lot of posts in 5 years and nobody has been unable to parse my words into meaning. So here you go.

Parametric > Fixed because fixed will never be in the area or width that needs to be addressed for each frequency of a given can. If you have a can such as the HD-600 that needs little EQ, this is potentially not true, but with something like a HFM HE-5LE, not in a million years.

One method of EQ (electrically) is better than more from audio purist POV. OTOH if you use mods, or equipment matching to get some EQ done, that's fine - I do it.

Dont have adjacent settings equal a difference of more than 6 db - my experiences with my Soundcraftsman (22**) in 1978 - phase issues.

If you must used a fixed EQ - I think a 20 band will do a lot better job than say a Schiit 6 band - all things being equal - because there is more of a shot at getting a close match from the band to the issue that is being dealt with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back