EQ plugin for Mac
Dec 30, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #31 of 34
Two more questions, LuckyEars.

1) volume automatically defaults in these EQ documents to -4.5db. Is there a reason or does it make sense to raise it back to zero for both input and output?
2) I save the document and chose the preference in AU to open that document upon launching, however the settings don't stick and revert back to the incorrect input/output settings you had me correct. Currently, I have to recreate a new document each time I boot up. Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #32 of 34
  Two more questions, LuckyEars.

1) volume automatically defaults in these EQ documents to -4.5db. Is there a reason or does it make sense to raise it back to zero for both input and output?
2) I save the document and chose the preference in AU to open that document upon launching, however the settings don't stick and revert back to the incorrect input/output settings you had me correct. Currently, I have to recreate a new document each time I boot up. Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

1) My best guess is that you need a preamp stage, so that when you apply eq, it will not result in distorted sound. I think you can turn it up, but be careful not to apply too much eq, since it will result in clipping and distortion. Mine is at +1.5dB, and I have no problems so far.

2) I usually just open my saved setting in file -> open recent. Be sure you don't have another window open at the same time, as this might result in errors.   

Jul 8, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #33 of 34
Anyone still watching this thread?

I'd like some advice please. I was hoping to use an equaliser to help compensate for deficiencies in my hearing.

I used a simple hearing test that I found on the web whereby there are a bunch of recordings of frequencies across 19 bands each at 3dB steps. The idea is that within each band you are supposed to play sounds at lower and lower volumes until the sound can no longer be heard. Thus you can determine how sensitive you are to different frequencies. (http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html )

I played the sounds through a high-end external DAC / amp with high-end headphones to determine my personal frequency response graph.

I then built a similar shaped graph with an equaliser with the aim of compensating for my weaknesses. However, the result was a muddy mush. Where did I go wrong with my logic?

I used SoundFlower and AuLab to divert audio from iTunes through the 31-band Apple equaliser as per the instructions here: http://osxdaily.com/2012/05/18/equalizer-for-all-audio-mac-os-x/ I'm confident that I did this correctly.

For some reason I can't insert images to show you the graphs, but basically, in the equaliser I set the bands so that the lowest was -20dB and the highest was around +10dB to form a distorted U shape, with the -20dB zone around 1kHz to 6kHz forming the bottom of the 'U', rising slowly below 1kHz and sharply up after 6kHz. The equaliser shape was as close to the same shape as my test results as I could get.

So instead of boosting my weak areas I reduced my strong areas so as to avoid clipping, and then raised the (analogue) volume of my headphone amp.

Jul 11, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #34 of 34

I then built a similar shaped graph with an equaliser with the aim of compensating for my weaknesses. However, the result was a muddy mush. Where did I go wrong with my logic?

What you basically did with your equalizer was to make every sound equally loud and that’s why you get a "muddy" sound. If you want to compensate for your hearing deficiencies, then you should first apply a generic equal loudness contour EQ to account for different frequencies not being perceived equally loud by the ear, and then apply a second EQ that compensates for your own hearing loss. When you have dialed-in the EQ compensating for your own hearing, remove the generic equal loudness EQ and voila. 
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back